Unusual Hunts

Capercaillie in Sweden...hunting moose with Norwegiam Elkhounds...would be a great hunt!

And that (along with Earle's and Rodger's posts brings me back to my childhood, living in a remote ghostown, fishing and gathering firewood with my axe and Norwegian Elkhound, as we to had to collect a minimum of 10 cords of firewood each fall to last through the winter. Keeping a path clear to the barn, chicken coop, woodshed and outhouse during the winter, with the snow so deep that us kids could tobaggon off the peak of the barn, over the woodshed to the ground in a smooth run! Weeks of -40 degrees where we thankful to have our handpump inside so we did not have to go outside to bring water in.

Back to the hunting...I've read and watched it on tv. Would be a great adventure! I have some other hunts that I need to accomplish first...
Africa, Argentina, New Zealand, and a whole lot more here in Canada...

As always, April...great thread...hijacked or otherwise!

Blkram":2ymhsufg said:
Capercaillie in Sweden...hunting moose with Norwegian Elkhounds...would be a great hunt!

And that (along with Earle's and Rodger's posts brings me back to my childhood, living in a remote ghostown, fishing and gathering firewood with my axe and Norwegian Elkhound, as we to had to collect a minimum of 10 cords of firewood each fall to last through the winter. Keeping a path clear to the barn, chicken coop, woodshed and outhouse during the winter, with the snow so deep that us kids could tobaggon off the peak of the barn, over the woodshed to the ground in a smooth run! Weeks of -40 degrees where we thankful to have our handpump inside so we did not have to go outside to bring water in.

Back to the hunting...I've read and watched it on tv. Would be a great adventure! I have some other hunts that I need to accomplish first...
Africa, Argentina, New Zealand, and a whole lot more here in Canada...

As always, April...great thread...hijacked or otherwise!

Fantastic hunt April, love it, especially when we do it on ski's Mum;s home country so have been several times.

Earle, Dr Mike, Rodger, Gil, April. Some of the old "becoming a man" traditions in Africa, made me glad I was a girl Haha

Ken, that will get it done for sure. you use a 460 for jackrabbits and Earle and Scotty think they can hunt Leopards with a 22 Hornet

I know several here absolutely hate it when I do the following and my suggestion to you is to block me and you will not see my post's.

To understand this story, I need to tell you I am on the slender side

Cheyenne, A fellow chatted me up for almost an hour in an airport lounge recently and then when I rejected his offer to take it any further, he said " no problem, you are too thin anyway, I like women that look like Kim Kardashian"

Does that story qualify to be on the unusual hunt thread Haha

Best Regards

Jamila

what a fun thread, regardless of which direction it veers off to sometimes. Even my wife has had a chuckle or two when reading it

How does one hunt the Capercaillie, with a shotgun or rifle ?

Gil, love your bucket list of hunting destinations,

Worked up a load for a lawyer planning on a Capercaillie hunt some years ago. He was using a 260 Rem with full metal jacket. He must have been successful since he asked for more workups a few months later. He wanted to expand his options.

Africa Huntress":j63spq1r said:
Fantastic hunt April, love it, especially when we do it on ski's Mum;s home country so have been several times.

Earle, Dr Mike, Rodger, Gil, April. Some of the old "becoming a man" traditions in Africa, made me glad I was a girl Haha

Ken, that will get it done for sure. you use a 460 for jackrabbits and Earle and Scotty think they can hunt Leopards with a 22 Hornet

I know several here absolutely hate it when I do the following and my suggestion to you is to block me and you will not see my post's.

To understand this story, I need to tell you I am on the slender side

Cheyenne, A fellow chatted me up for almost an hour in an airport lounge recently and then when I rejected his offer to take it any further, he said " no problem, you are too thin anyway, I like women that look like Kim Kardashian"

Does that story qualify to be on the unusual hunt thread Haha

Best Regards

Jamila
He has pretty low standards if you ask me.

Oh yes, the stages of the life for the female. You go from, please dont talk to me, I am trying too get some work done, to ,will anybody talk to me ever again LOL I have traveled enough and had enough layovers in airports to have experienced both these scenarios and all I can say is when you get to be my age you get tired of being ignored, even by the bartender LOL

Gil, I hope you and Susan make every one of those great trips

Hodgeman, you have some pretty good bird hunting right there in Alaska. What shotgun do you like for upland hunting ?

John, usually a rifle, as Dr Mike, has already said. His friend used a fairly large caliber, smaller calibers are used a lot.

Questions for you guys. What is one off the most unusual ways you disguised yourself, or hid yourself, while hunting, especially bow hunting. One if the funniest stories I remember involved Aleena. Jerry had literally covered her in rocks and she was hidden for several hours without a sign from her and Jerry who was watching from a distance with binoculars said " I hope she is still alive " My husband buffalo hunting was funny. I know he was trying too look like the original buffalo hunters did but he just looked ridiculous, but we both had a good laugh.

Europe":1bvl5jyh said:
Hodgeman, you have some pretty good bird hunting right there in Alaska. What shotgun do you like for upland hunting ?.

Depends- I've got a Benelli M2 I really like, but for ruffed grouse I have a very old Winchester 37 in 20ga that goes as often as not.

I did pick up a .410 O/U this winter but it remains to be seen how much I'll like it.

Hodgeman. love the 20 gauge, but I would be better off throwing rocks than using a 410. An old 37, how cool is that, was it your dad's or granddad's ?

We enjoyed hunting Ptarmigan in Alaska, but I did not do well on the crane hunt. Can you guys still hunt the Snowy Owl in Alaska ? How does your stare law override the federal law, if you can ?

Europe":1xnxbw7k said:
Hodgeman. love the 20 gauge, but I would be better off throwing rocks than using a 410. An old 37, how cool is that, was it your dad's or granddad's ?

We enjoyed hunting Ptarmigan in Alaska, but I did not do well on the crane hunt. Can you guys still hunt the Snowy Owl in Alaska ? How does your stare law override the federal law, if you can ?

It was my Granddad's- I wrote piece about it and shared the link to the publication in the shotgun sub-forum.

Some units and residents can still hunt snowy owls, mostly western AK IIRC.

I jumped down and read your post on the shotgun thread, very nice hodgeman, thank you

We have a member from Australia, if you should happen to log on, have you been on one of Australia's camel hunts, has anyone? they have a problem with Camels in Australia like Texas has with hogs. that would be an unusual hunt and I was wondering if that was where Jamila's sister got her's.

On the same response to Preacher about the 7 x57, it was noted that the woodleigh bullet works well with that caliber. I might also mention the woodleigh bullets works well with the 275 H & H and the 280 Ross.

do we have any other members here, like myself, who still likes the slow calibers. 6,5 x 55, 7 x 57, 30-06, 348 or 358, 375 H & H, using a bullet designed to work in them, like the woodleigh. Everybody makes a big deal about needing more speed and distance but many of those same fellows also bow hunt, successfully. How do they do that ?

and more important, do you still drink your coffee, strong and black, or are you one of those new Starbucks coffee drinkers ? if you are you will have to bring your own ingredients to my camp. I will supply the coffee and you can water it down anyway you like

April, among my favourite rifles are a couple of .358 Wins, a .280 Rem and a .284 Win. Speed is nice, but accuracy still kills. Consequently, I like my coffee like I like my ladies--strong and black. :shock: Wait! Where did I find that redhead that has shared my life for the past fifty years? :mrgreen:

DrMike":1fp16v3l said:
April, among my favourite rifles are a couple of .358 Wins, a .280 Rem and a .284 Win. Speed is nice, but accuracy still kills. Consequently, I like my coffee like I like my ladies--strong and black. :shock: Wait! Where did I find that redhead that has shared my life for the past fifty years? :mrgreen:

LOVE IT--perfect response. Living with a redhead, possibly made you black ( and blue ) a time or two lol

My wife is a gem. She has been more than tolerant during the years of our life together. Though she does not share my passion for the great outdoors, she is one of my strongest supporters in my ventures afield. I could never have asked for more. And I still like my coffee strong and black. I drank a cup with cream in it once--once. Back to black in a hurry.

we have some fellows here who are upset that we dont talk about only hunting topics and dispense with the jokes and ( in their words ) "your stupid BS that contributes nothing but cluttering up the forum".

Well, for one, I have always attempted to not take anything to seriously, especially an internet forum, as I am pretty sure I am not going to get out of this life alive anyway. Secondly, unlike Cheyenne, Brooke, and even Jamila, to some degree, you will not run me off. third, if jim or fotis dont like my posts, they will tell me, and to date neither of them have sent me a warning to "knock it 0ff", again using your words. In fact my reaction is to steal one of Hodgemans quotes--"some peoples kids"

Dr Mike, she sounds like a sweetheart, I am glad you found each other and have such a fine marriage, good for you

Jamila, likes to tell the story about her father always saying he likes his coffee, just like his women--"hot, black and strong". to which her mother one morning got up fixed his coffee and applied black make up to her hands and face and brought his coffee to him.

To make everyone happy, back to the thread.

Has anyone here hunted Camels ?

Does anyone else besides, Dr Mike, Preacher, Jamila's sister and myself, like the old slower calibers ?

Does anyone hunt buffalo/bison regularly and if so what caliber do you use ? Possibly not for Dr Mike, Gil, or Cheyenne, but a bison hunt would be an unusual hunt for some ?

And just to irritate some, are their any other REAL coffee drinkers, who like their coffee, hot, strong and black ?

Touché. Sounds as if someone needs a cuppa' joe--strong, hot and black. (y)

Hot, Black, strong and Brazilian for my coffee (no sugar. April, safe to say you would enjoy my coffee.

I prefer big holes in the game I shoot. I have no rocket launchers in my arsenal. I plan to add a 300 win mag so I can reload a belted mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April, I always enjoy your post as you don't take any guff from us old guys :lol:.
My oldest boy has entered us on a special Buffalo up in northern Saskatchewan it is on First Nations Land, if we get the draw it is on about 30,000 acres of land so I guess you could call it a fenced hunt but there are no fence way up there :wink:.
We would be allowed 1 bull, it includes processing of the meat and the taxidermist work as well, I will be using my RMR in the 35 Whelen and will be talking to DrMike about what medicine I will need to anchor this true Monarch (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I agree with the others, plus Earle, who mentioned --how many times can we look at a target with holes in it--besides for most of us this is the off season, hunting wise.

Dan, that sounds great, I hope you and your son draw for it. I would also like to hunt them, but I have so many things I still want to hunt, they are not even close to the top, nor are camel's.

I have to be honest, the forum and its collection of members, some who travel quite a bit, do bring things to the forum I had never even considered, hunting camels and that they are considered a pest like the wild hogs in Texas. I also sometimes smile when someone like Hodegeman, Earle, Jamil, April, Dr Mike, Gil, Cheyenne and others ,make matter of fact statements, that are so unusual or even unknown to some of us. Dr mike, well I have nothing else to do today so will go Grizzly hunting. Hodgeman, the wife ask me to go get some Caribou for dinner, Jamil, my sister put down a camel,

I could spend a year just following that crowd around and never get bored

I like the 7x57,.30/06,.375 H&H,.35 Whelen.

Also like the .25/06,.243,.270,.300 H&H,.300 Wby and the .375 RUM. Guess that means I cannot make up my mind. :)

Coffee,strong with creamer. No sugar.

Back