Unusual Hunts

April, the big kid in me will never tire of the jokes and teasing, as Mike can attest to, it is what builds the camaraderie bond and adds to the overall experience and friendship, regardless the topic or activity that the parties are involved in! Love it! Keep it up! Keeps life interesting!

To those who do not enjoy it...get a life! Relax! Enjoy the lightheartedness! You will enjoy the experience a whole lot more! Life is full enough of seriousness and heartache...smile and laugh with us! We welcome you!

As for strong, black java juice...unfortunately I am allergic to coffee...and yes, the coffee, not the caffeine. My mother used to say that she liked her coffee like her men, strong and black! Dad, said he liked it like his women, sweet and creamy!

Hunting camels sounds like a bit of a challenge and challenges bullet performance as well. Would be fun with my 416 Taylor or 376 Steyr! Would be a good excuse to pick up a double in 450/400 NE!

While I have hunted and harvested 7 bison to date since 1992, I am not sure if that quite qualifies as a usual hunt for me. I have been a number of unsuccessful bison hunts too, and still came home with great memories or other game. I have to say I have had the most success with the 338 Win Mag and 210 gr Partition, but also was impressed with the 376 Steyr's performance with the 260 gr AB.

For slower cartridges; I like and want another 218 Bee, want a 221 Fireball, am going to build a 225 Winchester, love the 6.5x55 and cannot wait for it to arrive, like my new 338 Federal, really like my 338-06 and am looking forward to using it in Africa, like and want another 348 Win, love the 358 Win, building a 9.3x62 and will use it in Africa on my next trip, and love the 375 Win.

And yes, I do like my 7mm STW and 270 Wby, and bowhunt too! Go figure! LOL
It is all part of the adventure!
Variety is the spice of life!

April, I enjoy your posts as well. Keep them coming.

Slower cartridges: 45-70 and 30-30 are my two favorites.

Never hunted camels.

Like my coffee strong and black, I even make cowboy coffee when my wife is not around or I'm hunting/camping.

Haven't seen that many camels trekking through the wilds of British Columbia. If I saw one, I'd swear off strong, hot, black coffee, I suspect. For the moment, I'm going upstairs and grab a cuppa'.

I guess "slower" is relative, but I still love the 30-30 and the .308 is one of my favorites. The 7-08 (ballistically a 7x57) is quickly becoming a favorite rifle cartridge of mine as well...funny I've never thought it "slow".

I keep eyeballing the Big Horn Armory 89 in 500S&W. That's slow(er) and cool as all get out.

Coffee is only good one way- black and hot and served in a bottomless cup.

Dr Mike---THANK YOU

Good luck to you and your son Dan

o.k. Ken your not invited to our camp---creamer ? LOL

mjcmichigan---well you might be right, as we loved our time in Rio

Allen, cowboy coffee--that will either remove or grow hair on certain parts of the anatomy that shall go unmentioned here on the forum

gil, your right and although Willian Cowper first said it, Mickey and Elizabeth lived it

Gil, excellent response about slow/fast/bowhunting and your right

Hodgeman, My son was looking at the Big Horn and the Wild West Co pilot ( 457WWG/45/70 ). you like the Big Horn better ? He thought the co-pilot would be pretty easy to transport. Have you been to Wild West facilities in Alaska? We visited their place in Vegas once and excluding the cost, I thought they made a pretty nice rifle. My son tells me they have now opened a place in Florida and are also selling gold coins, at least at their location in Florida. Anyway from memory the cost of the Big Horn and WWG are about the same, so is your decision made on the caliber offered or you feel the Big Horn puts out better rifles ?

BTW, when available I have been know to sneak a little bit of an adult beverage into my coffee, especially on a very cold morning, just to get these old bones moving, not because I like it

p.s. all my gal pals/ship mates have headed back home. Currently waiting on my daughter and grand daughter to arrive from the states and they will sail with me back to the Canary Islands. Had to wait for my granddaughter to finish her school year before they could come. I am so looking forward to making this trip with them and thank God for all his blessings--my husband, my children, my grandchildren, my health, allowing me the independence and health that allows me to do what I want to do at my age and for Holland and Holland who made three of the best rifle calibers in existence ( lets see how this last blessing goes over with the membership Dr Mike)

Europe":4heuz514 said:
Dr Mike---THANK YOU

Good luck to you and your son Dan

o.k. Ken your not invited to our camp---creamer ? LOL

mjcmichigan---well you might be right, as we loved our time in Rio

Allen, cowboy coffee--that will either remove or grow hair on certain parts of the anatomy that shall go unmentioned here on the forum

gil, your right and although Willian Cowper first said it, Mickey and Elizabeth lived it

Gil, excellent response about slow/fast/bowhunting and your right

Hodgeman, My son was looking at the Big Horn and the Wild West Co pilot ( 457WWG/45/70 ). you like the Big Horn better ? He thought the co-pilot would be pretty easy to transport. Have you been to Wild West facilities in Alaska? We visited their place in Vegas once and excluding the cost, I thought they made a pretty nice rifle. My son tells me they have now opened a place in Florida and are also selling gold coins, at least at their location in Florida. Anyway from memory the cost of the Big Horn and WWG are about the same, so is your decision made on the caliber offered or you feel the Big Horn puts out better rifles ?

BTW, when available I have been know to sneak a little bit of an adult beverage into my coffee, especially on a very cold morning, just to get these old bones moving, not because I like it

p.s. all my gal pals/ship mates have headed back home. Currently waiting on my daughter and grand daughter to arrive from the states and they will sail with me back to the Canary Islands. Had to wait for my granddaughter to finish her school year before they could come. I am so looking forward to making this trip with them and thank God for all his blessings--my husband, my children, my grandchildren, my health, allowing me the independence and health that allows me to do what I want to do at my age and for Holland and Holland who made three of the best rifle calibers in existence ( lets see how this last blessing goes over with the membership Dr Mike)
Yup,I'm weird. ;)

Europe":2exkfh5g said:
Hodgeman, My son was looking at the Big Horn and the Wild West Co pilot ( 457WWG/45/70 ). you like the Big Horn better ? He thought the co-pilot would be pretty easy to transport. Have you been to Wild West facilities in Alaska?

I've not examined a Big Horn up close yet but I have the WWG Co Pilot. My preference is for "what I think" the BHA gun is. Every time I messed with the .500S&W, I thought they had made a great lever action rifle cartridge and a pitiful handgun cartridge. It's just too much in a revolver IMHO. The BHA gun just has a nice classic appeal to me.

The Co Pilot is a fine gun and I visited the original WWG location a number of times in the past. I used to be loosely acquainted with one of their gunsmiths and had chatted with Jim West on a number of occasions. They make some nice stuff but it seems at this time they are relocating much of their operations to Las Vegas. My neighbor bought a Co Pilot and was sorely disappointed that it came marked that way.

thank you Hodgeman

I also ask Brooke if she would be so kind as to give us any information about these rifles as I knew her family had both. She will not make a post but said I could quote her

"hodgeman is as usual, spot on. My great uncle uses his Big Horn when he goes fishing for bear protection and says he feels it is very well made, loves the sights that come with the rifle, it is a short range, very short range rifle, and with the loads he prefers, the recoil is like a 404 Jeffery. He also agrees with Hodgeman about the Wild West, it is a very well made rifle and the 45/70 is more than enough for the big bears but of course it will shoot their 457, which he has not done. For any type of "normal" hunting, he actually prefers the 358 and 348 to the 45/70--or 500S & W. But it is fun to burn through a few dollars of ammo and watch stumps disappear when playing with the 500 S & W"

Does anyone else have any experience with the Big Horn or Wild West, as I do have an interest. Does Browning make a 45/70, I know they did but do not know if they still do. Is the Marlin as good, or better, or same as the Wild West ? thanks

I'd have to concur with the above- I tend to view the big bore levers as specialty guns- up close big critter protection or bears over baits or tree stand hunting on the east coast. Basically where the ranges are going to be relatively short.

I'd take lots of other guns out for "general purpose" type hunting. I kinda want the BHA for bears over bait, which I rarely ever do but could do more of when they make grizzly legal over bait next year.

Back