Rifle/Bullet weight

I generally have 1 load per rifle, and I keep 50-100 rounds loaded and ready to roll for each. That way I have a choice when I go hunting on which rifle combo would work best for the intended circumstances.

With that said, I'm a consummate tinkerer. I like trying new things, and have tendency to keep shooting rifles that already have loads developed and loaded.

A couple good examples... When I finally got my hands on some RL-26, I started working on one of my 270's to see how it would do with 150's, instead of the 130 BT load I already had worked up. I liked the new combo so much, I now have two loads for this rifle. I doubt the original load will get hunted though, because the new combo works so well.

I did the same thing with a 6.5x55, RL-16 and 140 AB's, although it never worked better than the original load of H4831 with the same 140 AB's.

I also tried changing powders and bullets with my favorite 7-08. My original load of RL-17 and 140 BT's is awesome, but I wanted to see if all the hype was true about Big Game and 120 BT's. The new load lived up to the hype, and again, I have two loads for one rifle. For this one though I'm stuck between which one I'd actually hunt.

Most my rifles though have a single load, and I pick the gun/load based on conditions.

I tend to tinker too much, but I also have kids that I am thinking about. I tend to start out with one really good "do all" load, but then think about loading up a youth load and intermediate loads. I also tend to try different bullets and powders for funsies, and next thing I know I've found a half dozen or so loads that work well for my rifle.

Finnaddiction, I seem to be a lot like you

I never seam to be able to do the, one load for everything deal.... Though the 06 with a 165gr at 2900 will handle almost any situation I would be likely to encounter around here.
But here is a list of how I am set up
243 W. 70gr Armageddon/ Coyote. 95gr BT for Deer
25/06. 90gr Blitzkings./Coyote. 120gr Speer SPBT, Deer
6.5x55. 123gr SST Deer. 142ABLR. Long Stuff.
270W. 130 SST / Deer. 150ABLR. Long range game
30/06. 150/165 SST Deer. 210 grABLR. " "
35 Whelen. 250gr Speers. 250gr Kodiaks (Alaska)
All the rifles are zeroed at 200yds so I am good to 300yds
With a hold of over the shoulder on big game. All the rifles are either " hold over reticule Z600" or now CDS Leupolds
So I simply set them all up for the LR loads so they are spot on for any OVER 300 yd stuff. They are all so close with the standard loads, inside 300: I find its so minor, that
I dont need a cheat sheet. So without any hassle; I can shoot out to 300 without any problem. And with the LR loads the scopes are already set up with those loads! For shooting 300/600 yds.
:grin:

Back