200 gr Nosler Partition, recovered from grizzly

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006

Recovered weight: 144 grains

Recovered from under the off-side skin. Fired into the hindquarters of a fleeing bear at about 30 yards.

Muzzle velocity was a bit over 2600 fps via H4350.

Accuracy of this bullet, from my 30-06 is stellar!

Guy

The old 30-06 drove it pretty deep and it did what it was suppose to do, great performance of a great bullet.
Thanks for sharing Guy.

Excellent performance that will give confidence to anyone choosing this great bullet. It did the job, as the photos demonstrate.

That is a classic heavy game bullet, it's great that you recovered one. I have heard it is a very accurate bullet as well.

That old 06 and you pretty much answer the question; do it all out west in a year.
Well done Guy.
Great looking bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, you don't see many of those suckers recovered. Great catch Guy. Thank you for posting that up.

SJB358":2ztnj98v said:
Wow, you don't see many of those suckers recovered. Great catch Guy. Thank you for posting that up.

Ya, I'm a mule deer hunter. My two biggest animals ever were both taken with heavy for caliber Partitions.

Bull elk with the 7mm Rem mag/175 Nosler Partition

Grizzly with the 30-06/200 Nosler Partition

The 175 sailed right on through the elk, exiting. Both the 200's stopped in the grizzly. Then again, shot placement played a role. I hit the elk right behind his front leg, and the bullet just tore through the chest cavity and out the other side.

Guy

Hard to beat that bullet. My buddies wife had almost exact same performance with 180 Partition in her 30/06 on a spring griz

Great Performance no doubt. I have always thought if I had a chance a 200gr or 220 Partition, 200gr AccuBond, or Swift 200gr A Frame bonded, or Barnes 200gr TSX. What would I use ?
I have never went heavier than 180gr Nosler Partition's and 180gr Accubonds and both have been plenty accurate 3.5 inch groups at 300 yards. I never tried lots of different loads because anything I had planned on using my 300 H&H for is Big.
My question Guy if you went North again for Grizz again would you pick another bullet ? Or your 375 H&H ?

Sorry to put you on the spot but your trip is a once and a lifetime hunt for most of us and I hope I am lucky to go some day. Thanks and Yes I'm a Nosler Fan and if they made a Partition with a Plastic tip and bonded I would be first in line as I think this would be the Ultimate Dangerous Game Load.

1100 Remington Man":1kn9vfvl said:
Great Performance no doubt. I have always thought if I had a chance a 200gr or 220 Partition, 200gr AccuBond, or Swift 200gr A Frame bonded, or Barnes 200gr TSX. What would I use ?

I can't answer for Guy of course but I would use any of those bullets except the 200 gr TSX, for a mono I would use a tipped version no heavier than 180 gr. A tipped mono bullet of around 165-168 gr is what I would look at.

1100 Remington Man":2im5mfe9 said:
I have never went heavier than 180gr Nosler Partition's and 180gr Accubonds and both have been plenty accurate 3.5 inch groups at 300 yards. I never tried lots of different loads because anything I had planned on using my 300 H&H for is Big.
My question Guy if you went North again for Grizz again would you pick another bullet ? Or your 375 H&H ?

Sorry to put you on the spot but your trip is a once and a lifetime hunt for most of us and I hope I am lucky to go some day. Thanks and Yes I'm a Nosler Fan and if they made a Partition with a Plastic tip and bonded I would be first in line as I think this would be the Ultimate Dangerous Game Load.

My trip was probably a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for me.

I am very happy with the performance of the 200 grain Nosler Partition. At the actual range that things unfolded, I'd have been well served with the 220 grain Nosler Partition as well.

Re the .375... Ya, I have a lingering regret that I didn't choose it, but I shoot the 30-06 better at 300 yards and the outfitter asked me to be prepared to shoot at 300 yards due to hunting on the tundra. If I'd KNOWN I was likely to end up shooting at under 50 yards, I'd have taken the .375, no doubt.

Regards, Guy

BTW, that's NO reflection on the guide/outfitter. It's just the way things happened.

I left the .375 home for several reasons, and am very pleased with the results of the .30-06 rifle.

Regards, Guy

nothing wrong with that choice and you just prove it ...

we are using the same bullet and my wife got a nice black bear (not the hog you got down south)
but while shot quartering the bullet crossed and never stopped ...but the cinnamon bear was dead and the meat is great ...

I just took a photo of the two bullets recovered, the 200 gr Nosler Partition and the 225 gr TSX together. Guess I was thinking about that great hunt, three years ago:

ibQGo7eh.jpg

The TSX was a 225 gr bullet, but with the extra bear chunks hanging onto it, it weighed 227 grains on my scale.

Guy

Guy I spoke to Joey several times over last summer, he remains impressed with your hunting and shooting.

salmonchaser":3tl7f4ky said:
Guy I spoke to Joey several times over last summer, he remains impressed with your hunting and shooting.

Thanks - I hope that someday he and I can hunt together again! What a great young man.

Regards, Guy

Back