Practicing for Bear Season!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My youngest son and I spent the morning at the rifle range, practicing from standing and sitting with our chosen bear rifles. Anticipating shorter range shots, we only practiced at 20 and 100 yards. Great way to spend the morning!

He was using the .30-30 Glenfield (Marlin) with the 2.5x Leupold and 170 gr factory ammo:
MLHEf6Tl.jpg

6fY5Ot1l.jpg

drDD7Oll.jpg

While I was using "Dad's Bear Rifle" the .375 Ruger Number One, topped by a 3x Leupold and handloaded 270 grain Hornady round-nose soft points:
NbWROpzl.jpg

g5nsiuSl.jpg

Great way to spend the morning. Guy

Thats great Guy. Nothing is better than spending time with those you love doing what you love.

I know I will catch a little grief for this post but wanted to joke with you anyway, as I am waiting for our float plane

"The way we practice for bear hunts is to hunt them"

Guy, why do you use a scope on the 30-30 ? Especially for a bear hunt. however I do like the scope your using on that rifle.

oh and you ask for sheep hunters to chime in on the sheep thread and I always do what my elders tell me to do, so I chimed in, however the Dall in Canada is a little different than the Big Horn in Arizona. For one thing they taste better, they are prettier animals, and you dont have a heat stroke while hunting the Dall. And last but not least, when your time comes Guy, you should ask them to bury you in that Jeep lol

Dont you hope my ride gets here soon

Most of our black bear hunting is in fairly open country and we've had several shots at over 300 yards, which we've accomplished just fine with our .30-06 & .375 rifles, but this time we're expecting shorter range shooting since I'll be relying on the predator call.

Why the scope? We both shoot better with the low powered scopes than we do with iron sights.

I like sights just fine, but I shoot better with a scope, as does my son.

Regards, Guy

Looks like great fun. Waiting to see some dead bear pics [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last bear we coarse ground, seasoned it up, and reserved for making bear pizza. Not saying it's better than those maple leaf munchin' Dalls, but it was pretty good!
EE2

1100 Remington Man":39yrwsrf said:
Guy how many rounds can you fire in your Ruger #1 .375 H&H Mag you pick up a flinch ?

Today I only fired 10 rounds. I usually stop at 20. Don't think I've ever developed a flinch from it. Good rifle, recoil is more of a big push than a blast to the shoulder. Nice recoil pad helps, and the Ruger & I seem well suited for each other.

These loads do kick harder than the loads I normally use. I never have run these across a chronograph. Suspect they're pretty stout.

Guy

Paul Barnard":1yh9kf0g said:
That's a good reminder that I need more practice from field positions.

Thanks. Ya, I don't spend much time on the bench.

Guy

Back