I had to do it

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
So I picked up a Ruger. SR1911 today. I haven't had a 1911 in a long time and I've had the itch to get one for a few years, just had other priorities. I started my Marine Corps years with a 1911 on post before they made us go to the 9mm. Then I carried a Colt Commander for about 5 years at work and a Detonics Combat Master off duty. My buddy has the Detonics now so I know it's in good hands.

A co worker had this one with maybe two boxes of ammo through it and upon inspection I'm not even sure it had that. Price was good so I pulled the trigger!

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,691
Looks as if you picked up a fine handgun. Any report forthcoming from your own testing?

I need to visit the range to pick up some ammo. Not a single .45 ACP cartridge in the house!!

Lefty,
It is well known on here I am a 1911 snob, I always say there are two kinds of pistols, A 1911 and everything else. There is a reason it was our military sidearm for 75 yrs, a reason that the Marine Corps went back to it(the M45A1). It just works period. I have 2 now, a 3in 9mm Kimber and a 5" Springer RO. Hoping to add a 4.25 and a 10mm. Which looks like it will be the SR1911 target just released in 10mm. Welcome back to the fold and I look forward to your range report and review of this one.

Took the gun out tonight and ran 120 rounds through it with 4 different magazine. No hiccups at all. Accuracy is going to be better than I'm capable of. Here is 16 shots fired at 15 yards. I wasn't rapid firing but about the time the sights settled back on target I was pressing the trigger again. I whole heartedly admit I am not a target shooter at all when it comes to pistols, don't have the patience. Ammo was our duty issued 230 grains Federal HST.

Attachments

• IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,658
Left,

Nice 1911 and some pretty good shooting.

JD338

That is fine accuracy in anybody's book lefty. The Federal HST is a very respectable one and is no slouch at 890fps. I have been using Hornady XTP +P 230s for a long time now, they are doing 950 and are quite snappy but accuracy is top notch in my pistol. I have recently tried the Nosler Defense 230 +P also doing 950 and like it too, accuracy is on par with the XTP. Too expensive to punch paper but you have to practice with what you carry and will protect your life with.

Lefty, nice pistol! Good to have you back in the 1911 club!

From what I've seen at the range, using a few, Ruger builds a very nice 1911 at a great price.

Congrats!

Guy

Guy, I don't think I'll ever get the 85,000 rounds through it that you have out of your Kimber but I will say I've forgotten how fun it is to shoot one of these things! I also forgot how heavy they are on the belt! Old Nordstrom had to loan me a holster until I can figure out the direction I want to go.

Good job on the shooting amigo.
Few handguns excite me outside of a good prelock N or K frame. The 1911 and the Hi Power are the only bottom feeder exceptions.
Nice pistol, Lefty. Welcome back to the fold.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back