Thinking of culling the herd.................

When my dad passed away he left me a medium sized safe full of guns. Many of which had never been shot in years, and many which duplicated mine. For instance I had 5, 30:06's, 4 300 magnums, a couple of 280's, and other rifles which were not necessarily duplicates but close enough in performance that having two or three of them was not necessary. Many were gifted to others and some traded and sold here. I still have more than I need but that will always be so. Here is how I approached it. First priority was duplication both in caliber and performance, second was use, when was the weapon last used, some had not been out of a safe in 20 years. My guess was if they hadn't been used in that time frame, chances are they would not see future use. Then I looked at my future projected needs and those of my family and friends. And last but not least I looked at those calibers that I "knew" would see service in the field. I still have a 300 mag, an 06 improved (probably not for long) and several other rifles down the cartridge spectrum. As I said earlier I still have more than I need, but every one that I currently have has been hunted in the last few years. It worked for me, and made many other people happy in the process.

I recently went through this process. At the end of it all I ended with with only one Compact RAR 223 Rem, a Sako A7 308 Win Stainless, an Omark 308 set up for long range, a 45-70 Marlin for pigs in the thick stuff, and a 24" bbl Zastava 30-06 for general purpose big game. That's it!

Aside from centrefires I did keep a Browning under-over 12g and a couple of rimfires.

I haven't missed the many sundry others I divested. However I did notice a "gap" in the armoury and am now having a fast-twist 6mm built to address that! (y) :lol:

I started rationalizing the herd, and I bought a model 70 in 300 WM, I haven't hunted with it yet, and I know I need a 7mm something, a 338 or 8mm and I'd like a thumper like a 35 or 375

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I'm not contemplating getting rid of any soon. I have considerably more than Fotis and I use them as a piggy bank that I will probably give a portion of to my kids (or just build/buy them their own) and the rest I'll sell off later in life to fund some hunts. When I finally get the parts I have laying around assembled I'll have 13 .30 caliber magnums, just magnums.

Fotis,

If you need the money or want the money from the sale of them then by all means sell what you want to off. If you don't need/want the money for something else but have too many for the available space then see above. If you want them all then keep them and move on to shooting and enjoying them. I don't think a full collection of Weatherby's is a bad thing even if you don't shoot them all. That's why it's called a collection. I'm more of a hoarder then a collector :lol: :mrgreen: .

I do not need the $$$. The thing is that I am anal and I want to put them all to bed with their respective loads. Problem is that I am a tinkerer so that never occurs. :lol: :roll:

Not REALLY a problem..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FOTIS":395zfhk6 said:

Every addict says the same thing. :mrgreen: We accumulate because we enjoy the accumulation. There, I said it, and I enjoy tinkering as well! (y)

I always try to grow my "collection" but in recent years it hasn't grown as fast. I have sold some to get others but the quality of the rifles I've built have been better. I guess I'm becoming a picky "collector".

Sorry I can't help you with the split personality. Hopefully you can get along with yourself soon and work out your differences. :lol:

222 rem CZ 527 222 rem (Would rather have a .223, but no flies on the .222)

6.5x300 WBY MK V ACCUMARK--Custom made for me (Keep this one as it'll do anything your others will do from .240-.7mm)

30-06 TIKKA T-3 SUPER LITE (do all light weight rifle, no fuss no muss)

30-30 WIN WINCHESTER 94 (everyone should have a M94)

340 WBY MK V DELUXE (with a custo 6.5 and a .30-06 keep a good .338)

44 WCF WINCHESTER 1873 (original or reproduction? If original keep)

45-70 MARLIN 1895 COWBOY (most versatile out of your big bore levers)

Really if you couldn't get it done with those rifles, you're doing more specialized shooting competitions and hunting dangerous game in Africa.

You have some really nice rifles, but it really boils down to what you use the most and what gives you the most joy to have in your collection. If you sell down before you're really ready too, more than likely you'll buy back as you find the rifles you like. Best way I've found to sell down is when I'm trying to do something specific such as fund a home improvement project or a hunting trip.

Most importantly keep the ones that your kids will enjoy owning the most, that'll remind them of Dad when you're no longer around.

FOTIS":31eqyuhx said:
I do not need the $$$. The thing is that I am anal and I want to put them all to bed with their respective loads. Problem is that I am a tinkerer so that never occurs. :lol: :roll:

With all those rifles, you will continue to tinker with it. :mrgreen:

Back