Alaska

Hey, there's a big ol' bear standing next to your boat! :grin:

Congrats on the good fishing!

Guy

Those old silver tips know how to stack them up. No better eating than Reds.
Disappointed to hear about the low returns on the Kenai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you Bud :wink: it looks like you had great success! Could you explain to a flatlander from Saskatchewan what is dip netting :mrgreen: ?
Also wondering how do you process them or do you just fillet them out?
Thank you for the photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Dip netting is where you use a large net up to 5' in diameter with a long handle and net the salmon as they head up river. This can be done from the bank or from a boat. I greatly prefer from a boat as it is a lot more effective. There is a net off each side of the boat and the boat is motored downstream slightly faster than the current.

Generally I fillet all the salmon, or cut into steaks. I prefer to fillet. Most is then vac packed and frozen. Some will be canned or smoked. Generally any salmon left over from last year will be thawed and smoked to make room for the fresh salmon. We are allowed 55 salmon but I rarely take more than 25-30.

salmonchaser":1oot3cxn said:
The days are long, some of the people leave a lasting impression.View attachment 1

I can do that----in my dreams

Salmonchaser and Bear78, great job fellows,

Hodgeman, if you see this thread,, from memory you are originally from the south, have you even been noodling for catfish---or has anyone ?

Europe":2vp2vr1r said:
Hodgeman, if you see this thread,, from memory you are originally from the south, have you even been noodling for catfish---or has anyone ?

Yup. Watch out for the snapping turtles and water moccasins. :shock:

Never been noodling for cat fish but once caught a carp in a pond at Williamsburg VA. There was some cracked corn on the bank from where they feed the ducks so I sprinkled some in the water along the bank and attracted a fairly large carp. I actually had it eating out of my hand when I stuck my thumb in it's mouth and lifted it out of the water to show my wife I could do it. I released it unharmed back into the pond.

Old noodlers seem always to have one or two digits absent from their hands. It can be exciting at times.

DrMike":25u5hhsy said:
Old noodlers seem always to have one or two digits absent from their hands. It can be exciting at times.
From what I have read there has been more then one person drown while noodling when they grabbed something bigger then they could handle and it wouldn't let go of them.
There was a show on TV where a guide would take people noodling but it didn't run long after complications.

The sockeye fishing held up until the 24 July. Then as if God turned off the faucet, they were gone. They have pushed on to their spawning streams.
Unlike the Kenai Peninsula and the Anchorage rivers our king run is improving. The season closed on Monday with bright fish still being caught.
I'm sitting in an Anchorage hotel room. Flew in via float plane last night. Broke a tooth on the 25th. It needs to come out.
Flew through Lake Clark pass. It was the most spectacular flight I've ever taken. Worth the price of admission should you get the chance. Roughly 100 miles flying through a canyon, the mountains rising above the plane.
My photos just don't do justice to the ride.IMG_1399.JPGIMG_1406.JPGIMG_1410.JPGIMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG

Thanks for the pictures and sorry to here you will lose a tooth. Once they are gone they are gone and even replacing them with implants or false teeth just isn't the same.

Salmonchaser that looked to be some plane ride :wink:. I bet even the photos do not capture the true magnificence of the beauty (y).
Thank you those photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan I wish I had Guy's skill with the camera. My photos just didn't capture the terrain.

Silvers and the eclipse
We had cloud cover this morning and forgot all about the eclipse.
The silver salmon didn't let us forget about them. It's been a very strong run.
My buddy "Big O" bang five in short order this morning. His second season all the way from BostonIMG_1426.JPG

60 pound boy and about 60 pounds of fish, he did well.

Back