.300WSM, 180AB- recovered

A

Anonymous

I managed to shoot a caribou with my much loved .300WSM over the weekend. I've taken some 40 odd animals with the rifle ranging up to moose. I've never recovered a bullet- always got an exit, even at longish ranges.

This one got stopped in a middling size caribou at 67 yards. Impact speed was 2850ish. The shot was strongly quartering to and the bullet smashed all of the vertebrae in the neck, traveled down the spine and exited the last rib. The bullet was found just under the hide. Recovered weight is 105 grains.

Attachments

• recovered.jpg
    recovered.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,960
No complaints about that performance at all! Bone is pretty hard on bullets, especially that much of it.

Excellent. And that is why we choose premium bullets. When they are called upon to smash through bone or pass through vast swaths of flesh, we want a bullet that will expand properly while maintaining integrity. Looks as if you found just such a bullet!

I'm pretty sold on Accubonds.

They're pretty much my "go to" bullet in just about everything I shoot for big game.

hodgeman":2ipw2hvo said:
I'm pretty sold on Accubonds.

They're pretty much my "go to" bullet in just about everything I shoot for big game.

Big fan of the Accubonds here as well. That bullet of yours had a rough ride but held together quite well.

Nice recovery, can't wait to try it our soon for deer season on that 300 Winny @ 3,180 fps. It loves the 180 AB.

Excellent! Congratulations on the caribou. My 300 wsm shoots 180g AB very well also, can't wait to try it on an elk.

Congratulations on the Caribou. Nice bullet catch.

JD338

Back