Snakes

Hmm fresh meat , skin em and eat em taste like chicken. :>)
Must be getting ready to hibernate.

There was a woman bitten by a Copper head in the foyer of a Long Horn Stake House in Virginia last week.
Copper heads account for the majority of snake bites here on the east coast.

The little Ruger has been pretty handy but I've killed a lot more with a shovel. We hired a young man this year, an experienced guide, dog trainer and farmer. Dang kid has been bit three times. Last was two weeks ago. First time, a few years ago, put him in the hospital for a week, second was not so bad. The recent event left him with a couple of days with flu like symptoms.
It's been hot the last couple of days, snakes are pretty active. Hope it cools down soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Africa Huntress":21e578js said:
I was ask by three different members about snakes, so please, those of you who dont want me posting here, please give it a rest.........

Best regards

Jamila

No such person that I know of exists here and if he/she does please let me know Jamila

Unfortunately there are ---but thank you Fotis for your support. I am attempting to handle them the same way I handle unwanted comments in an airport lounge--ignore. Most of my friends here, know that most of the hate directed toward me is because of my race and the fact that mum and dad live comfortably--however what they dont know is mum and dad insist that I and my sisters make our own money and find our own way. And since I was born in Africa, I also didn't have a choice when I was born as to the color of my skin. But without a doubt I will always thank the good lord for my mum and dad adopting me and giving me a good childhood. They were and are good parents and I love them, so when someone takes a swipe at my mum, it upsets me, so you may get a complaint fotis , because admittedly I answered back and was not real ladylike when i did so.

Salmonchaser, I prefer shotguns--especially since I am not that good of a shot with a pistol and the last thing I want is some of the snakes in Africa pissed off at me HA

Fotis, when I was in Greece, we saw snakes in the sea, but I forgot what they were called. I enjoy some of the outer islands of Greece and some of the history in Athens, but must admit Athens is not my favorite city, sorry.

Best Regards and thank you again Fotis

Jamila

P.S keep killing those snakes salmon chaser, I dont like snakes HA

Born and partially raised in Athens and I can not stand it! I love Crete

FOTIS":3cyq7acf said:

ohhhhh Fotis---so do I--in fact, I love it

April steered us to the Elounda Peninsula Hotel on our last visit and I loved it. I like several beaches, but the Han;s Kokkini beach seems to cater to my age group.

Have you hunted the Kri Kri on Crete, that would be something to accomplish, for sure

I dont want to start another thread so hopefully some of you will see this here as I have been asked what does the local's use. I am not exaggerating when I say everything, but there is still a lot of 404 Jeffery's in use, and the 375 H & H is very popular. The 450/400 in the double is a very popular rifle as well. The P.H. if they can afford it will carry a larger caliber double than the 450/400 or usually just a larger caliber bolt. It is not like America, where everyone has a Winchester.

Charles, if you see this, Dallas's granddaughter ( if you remember her ) was using the double her grandfather used when he first met Bill at Victoria Falls----a lot of history in that old rifle

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila,

I am reading this and hope to see Victoria Falls. Preferably while having a drink with a few folks I've come to be fond of. :>)

FOTIS":8pamyk7d said:

Fotis---I am another who agrees with you and Jamila, on both points

Jamila, glad you liked the hotel, no real beach, but a great marina and spa and the rooms are well appointed, however your choice of beaches is definitely not for women of my age, I will leave that beach to you and Fotis

It is funny that Ruark literally made the Rigby famous ( 416 ) when there were so few of them sent to Africa and literally hundreds of thousands off 404 Jeffery's

charles, you have the rifles, 9.3x 64 and 404 Jefferey, plus a 340 Weatherby, enjoy the trip

Jamila
I have been known to blast them with a shotgun, an 06 and even a 338. Pissed of snakes are bad.
Pissed off woman are worse. I remain a fan, I'm also single. If you think you can keep up we should talk:)

salmonchaser":2qijhyec said:
Jamila
I have been known to blast them with a shotgun, an 06 and even a 338. Pissed of snakes are bad.
Pissed off woman are worse. I remain a fan, I'm also single. If you think you can keep up we should talk:)

Hoo, boy, there's an offer you can't refuse, Jamila! :mrgreen: Now we are hunters, shooters and "match makers." :lol:

Salmonchaser, I will be in Hong Kong this weekend, then a quick stop in India and then back to Namibia to teach a fellow how to hunt the river without getting killed by hippos and mesquites --your welcome to tag a long --if you can keep up Ha

Seriously, I am currently traveling on business for my mum in China and India and then after a short stop over in Cape Town you could watch for and snakes and chase off the hippos along the river so I could concentrate on helping this gentleman learn that hunting a river in Africa is not the same as hunting along the banks of the Missouri

Fotis, still curious if you have stayed or visited the hotel I mentioned and if you also like the same beach I do, and if you have hunted the Kri Kri----if you have I am very envious sir, that would be a trophy

Best Regards

Jamila

p.s. I will have to check your replies later, I am off

DrMike":20g71bxr said:
salmonchaser":20g71bxr said:
Jamila

Hoo, boy, there's an offer you can't refuse, Jamila! :mrgreen: Now we are hunters, shooters and "match makers." :lol:
Hey hey there! I'm still single, and I asked her that question over a year ago this past August..... I got shut down pretty fast! :eek: Seems Jamila already had a BF, and replied she's not married-Yet! Months later I remember something to the effect her BF isn't seeing her too much with all her work..... and Oh, the hunting she been doing! :shock:

I would have thought my love for Africa would have swayed her over...... and Oh, my love affair for being in the field with a great woman that shares my same passion..... and for each other! :grin:

I have only seen a few rattlesnakes here in Mississippi. Now copperheads and cottonmouths is a whole different story lol. They are everywhere, as I seem to run into them all the time during turkey season. My parents house is apparently a copperhead haven. Been more than a few get beat to death in the hallway early in the morning ( that will definetly wake u up lol). All up and down the road by my parents is always a couple copperheads ran over a week. To me the copperhead seems to be the most aggressive. Now African snakes seem to be a whole new ballgame! Lol. Took my daughter to the Memphis zoo last weekend, and saw the gaboon viper (pretty sure I misspelled that). Boy I bet that thing hurts when it hits you! Those fangs are impressive, so is the mass of that snake. I bet it feels like getting hit in the leg by a 2”x4” !

The copperheads in Kansas used to crawl under the windrows when we were haying. They would be pressed into the bales. Every now and then you'd grab a bale with your hooks and as you were kicking it to the top rack, the head of that snake would be flopping around. It sure built strong abs in a hurry as we held the bale at arms length so that head could reach our face or chest. Likely account for more than a few hernias, as well. We had lots of copperheads around, but not so many rattle snakes. We saw them occasionally, but they were not common.

I've always warned my grandchildren about ice snakes since we moved to northern British Columbia. The evident danger of this beauty helps keep rambunctious children in line. Much like the story of hoop snakes kept me in line many years ago before I moved from Kansas.

I've never seen a copper head or cotton mouth, bet my little Ruger Would take care of them too.

I've had run ins with a few rattlesnakes when I ran pointers bird hunting. Never really much drama except making sure the dogs didn't get hit. The young dogs we're the most worrisome. While hunting in Namibia I had a very eye opening experience with a cobra. We had seen several adders and cobras sunning themselves on the roads; most were subsequently flatter after we passed. The cobra was the only snake I saw while afoot for ten days. We were stalking a herd of zebra in tall grass early in the morning. It was quite cool that morning which probably helped the situation from being any more exciting than it was. We were crawling through the grass with the PH in the lead and the tracker behind me. I had my rifle slung on my back and was only about 4-5' behind the PH. The next thing I know the PH yelled something and leaped to his feet and ran about 15'. He had crawled right over the cobra and now it started to lift it's head and flare it's hood and my face was only about 5' away from it. All I really recall of the moment is rearing backwards and pulling my rifle under my arm and working the the bolt all in one motion. I do recall the tracker's face at my left shoulder and that I could see the whites of his eye's all the way around the irises. The PH was yelling not to shoot(I wouldn't have because he was in the line of fire). I was moving backwards and trying not to trip over the tracker and the PH was circling away from the cobra. After a few seconds we had a buffer and it was all over. We circled wide and continued on after the zebra and the cobra went on his way. I didn't crawl through any more tall grass on that trip :shock: .

muleman":5ovfs40s said:
I've had run ins with a few rattlesnakes when I ran pointers bird hunting. Never really much drama except making sure the dogs didn't get hit. The young dogs we're the most worrisome. While hunting in Namibia I had a very eye opening experience with a cobra. We had seen several adders and cobras sunning themselves on the roads; most were subsequently flatter after we passed. The cobra was the only snake I saw while afoot for ten days. We were stalking a herd of zebra in tall grass early in the morning. It was quite cool that morning which probably helped the situation from being any more exciting than it was. We were crawling through the grass with the PH in the lead and the tracker behind me. I had my rifle slung on my back and was only about 4-5' behind the PH. The next thing I know the PH yelled something and leaped to his feet and ran about 15'. He had crawled right over the cobra and now it started to lift it's head and flare it's hood and my face was only about 5' away from it. All I really recall of the moment is rearing backwards and pulling my rifle under my arm and working the the bolt all in one motion. I do recall the tracker's face at my left shoulder and that I could see the whites of his eye's all the way around the irises. The PH was yelling not to shoot(I wouldn't have because he was in the line of fire). I was moving backwards and trying not to trip over the tracker and the PH was circling away from the cobra. After a few seconds we had a buffer and it was all over. We circled wide and continued on after the zebra and the cobra went on his way. I didn't crawl through any more tall grass on that trip :shock: .
Whew! I bet that was a diaper changing experience[emoji15]

Back