Jeep Wrangler hunting vehicle

Those trailers for the HMMWV's are avail surplus now... I think they're too big for my Jeep, but behind a full sized truck? Perfect!

Just heard a couple weeks back that Jeep is putting the little diesel in the Wrangler next year. I think I can hold out for one of those.

Dang you guys are killing me here! I had a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 I sure wish I still owned! Makes me want to get a new one. The thought of a little diesel in one of those things is intriguing. I think that low end grunt and torque would work wonderfully for the stuff these are designed for. Man Guy I sure like your pictures.

ZEcMMxNl.jpg

kz5VG4Ll.jpg

eeaqk5wl.jpg

zbSuExcl.jpg

First overnight outing and most serious 4x4 terrain use of the new-to-me Basecamp trailer. Wow! This thing tracked beautifully right behind. Kept my gear completely dry through several stream crossings, a few miles of snow driving and some rain.

Good weekend, with good people, in good country.

Guy

Looks to have been a most delightful weekend, Guy. Great pictures, as always. It truly allows us to journey with you.

I had a chance to see the now world famous Jeep Wrangler when Guy stopped by on his way up north for his grizzly hunt. I have to say it is a pretty sweet ride, I like it a lot. A couple of the other pictures showed the Jeep better but yours truly had his eyes closed :roll:

Top of the World Highway, Yukon Territories, just east of the Alaskan border.

The new BFG All Terrain tires performed very well on my 4,500 mile drive!

Guy

LYWqGkpl.jpg

HIg3HjZl.jpg

cI1qS2fl.jpg

6c7rrZJl.jpg

Up in the hills today, in the Cascades. Little Jeep did GREAT work on the Jeep Trails. Clark the dog, Josh my son, and Mama Miner my wife all enjoyed. It's terrific when the daily driver is also a fun-mobile!

Guy

First snow of the season for me, camping in prime mule deer & black bear country. Northern Washington:

FZgW5avl.jpg

z0jqKfRl.jpg

Xqmvrdil.jpg

The vehicle is made to rest comfortably in the snow, shake it off and go again. Great pictures, as always, Guy.

Great photos Guy :wink:, did that snow make it slick to move around up there or did it melt when the day heated up?
I am do not look forward to snow :shock:!!

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, that light snow wasn't a problem at all. I wouldn't want to drive that road in bad/icy snow!

I think at this point, my Wrangler has carried:

4 whitetail

3 antelope

5 mule deer

1 black bear

Along with quite a few pheasant & chuckar. It seems to be doing fine as a hunting vehicle. (y)

The funniest load was when my son and I were hunting whitetail with a couple who had brought their very nice Cadillac Escalade along. The wife looked at the three whitetail carcasses and declared that NONE of them were going in her Cadillac! :grin: So, we put all of our hunting gear in their Cadillac, and stuffed all three deer carcasses in the back of my Wrangler! That was a tight fit. Smelled good in there though, all those clean, skinned whitetail! Delicious. I was hungry by the time we got to the butcher a couple of hours later.

Guy

This morning:
kmRacsil.jpg

Jeep worked well.
Jackwagon Basecamp trailer worked well.
MSR "Whisperlite" stove worked well.
North Face "Snow Leopard" sleeping bag worked GREAT.
Cabelas ECWCS long johns, military fleece and military gore-tex also worked GREAT.

Good little two-night trip, and I'm glad to be home.

Guy

You are certainly equipped to enter into the hills, Guy. That is a great setup.

DrMike":3kvj26yi said:
You are certainly equipped to enter into the hills, Guy. That is a great setup.

Thanks Mike. For the first time, I'm starting to really feel that I'm not 30 anymore. I still like camping like this, but it is harder than it used to be...

Guy

Back