Upland Game opens Oct 7th!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Dang, I'm looking forward to this! (y)

Get out with the dog, hopefully my son too. Shotguns, hiking boots... Chukar, huns, grouse, quail and pheasant are all possible. Really excited about this!!!

A few photos from past hunts:

8WSbU1tl.jpg

V3MjPpCl.jpg

1tbAGUol.jpg

rIZ95nMl.jpg

Something about getting out there, afield with the dog. The crisp fall air. Working with the dog as he ranges ahead, scenting and casting back and forth... Acting "birdy" then The Point! Locked on solidly. No doubt whatsoever. I carefully walk forward and flush the bird! Hopefully John or I hit it... :grin: Then the dog goes into a sprint, after the fallen bird. So proud at what he's done. At what we've done.

Later, relaxing at home, cooking said birds, with a glass of nice wine near at hand, a tired dog sleeping in front of the fire. A happy look on everyone's face.

Yes, I do love my upland bird hunting!

Guy

Yeah, hard to beat a good upland game hunt for excitement and a lot of shooting. A good dog makes it that much better and then the excellent meals they provide. Good luck on your hunt!

We opened yesterday. The perfect fall day and the gods were smiling.
My year n a half old pup performed outstanding with dozens of rock solid
Points and 2 water retrieves, when birds went into the river.
Here he is with his dad "Kings Bomber Tamarack" backing his pup.FullSizeRender.jpg
Happy Days

Puppy "Silver Grouse Birch" guarding the game!IMG_1144.JPG
Fellow on far right is Andy Rowe that worked many years
For ABC as a senior camera man, he did all of the "American Sportsman" series with Curt Gowdey in 70's
For those that can remember? Great storys about Bing Crosby, Ted Williams etc.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2,380
Good stuff! :)

Picked up ammo for the 12 & 20 gauges yesterday. Just #6 steel, as non-toxic shot is required here.

Dog is excited. He knows it's almost time to go to work!

Guy

Dog is bouncing around the house and yard like crazy, waiting for my son to get off work and get over here! :)

Me too.... :mrgreen:

Dog got suspicious when I pulled the shotgun out of the safe, and I swear he got a big grin on his face when I pulled out the ol' bird-hunting vest... (y)

Guy

Short story: nary a shot was fired! We flushed one chukar, and I couldn't get on it fast enough to shoot.

On the other hand, we had a GREAT afternoon! Clark the dog hopped in the Jeep with my son and I, and we headed for the hills above the Columbia River here in Washington. We hiked some mighty steep country!

Conditions were poor. It was afternoon before we could get out. The sun was bright. The wind was strong. Everything was dry as a bone... So, not surprisingly, we didn't get into the birds. However...

We had a great hike in beautiful country. Clark got to work for the first time in months. We saw mule deer, and bighorn sheep! The sheep photos were from my son, using my cell phone, all we had available with us. It was simply a stellar afternoon. And the bird cleaning was rather quick & easy... :)

Clark, seeking birds:
A9gzNF8l.jpg

kCIt4GQl.jpg

John, watching Clark seek birds:
R9613Icl.jpg

Mule deer doe & fawn:
VHPbr5Xl.jpg

Lower portion of Lake Chelan:
RlamIPNl.jpg

Ram:
ktPyr6Zl.jpg

oE7dYkCl.jpg

What? My feet are muddy? :mrgreen:
l1jkMtQl.jpg

BCC4AWol.jpg

It was a mighty fine afternoon, despite the lack of birds!

Guy

Excellent adventure even if you didn't get any birds.
Watching the dog work for birds is the best part of it.

JD338

There was some work involved in walking those steep hills. Excellent adventure, to be sure.

Hmm.. a bird hunt that sees real blue sky, a high country lake, mule deer and big horn sheep. Sounds like a success to me! CL

Back