Seeking a gas-op 20-gauge

MZ5

Beginner
Aug 28, 2017
I'm considering a shotgun. Like blued steel and walnut, and wouldn't object to a little engraving (though my wallet may! LOL). I need lowest felt recoil I can get, because my shoulder simply won't put up with much at all. I liked the look of the Franchi Fenice. They look nice, and were at least very nearly affordable for me new. Lightly used it seems one should be doable, but I read that it was recoil operated. In rifles, which is what I'm used to, gas operated semis are by far the lowest felt recoil, to me. Does this hold true in shotguns also?

Any suggestions as to models I should look at?
No Remingtons, I'm afraid.

I’d take a close look at the beretta shotguns. They are very easy on the shoulder. I have also been really impressed with the Remington R3 that I got my son, easily the softest shooting 12ga I have ever handled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gas operation does bleed off recoil, but so does inertia operation. Of our loaner guns the Benelli ultra light 20 is the most popular with smaller folks and or those concerned about recoil. They test the gun on our clays course with trap loads but hunt with heavy field loads. No complaints, I should get a commission.
I also like the Beretta A400. I don't own one but have fired a few 12 gauge on clays, very easy on the shoulder.
Good luck, have fun.

Gas guns tend to be a bit softer shooting than inertia guns...mostly through weight- gas guns generally weigh a bit more than an inertia gun. Beretta tends to make a pretty soft shooting gas gun.

You might also consider a 28 if recoil is a real concern.

I just did a full on deep clean on my boys gas operated rem r3, It took 30-45 minutes. Lots of small parts and gets very dirty, then I cleaned my inertia run franchi affinity. Took about 5 minutes.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of an inertia gun

Thebear_78":2bcsnwo5 said:
I
There is something to be said for the simplicity of an inertia gun

Yeah, I simply love my Benelli M2.... I think my 37A has more parts.

I can break it down and clean all the marsh funk out of it in just a few minutes. It's a genius design IMHO- no wonder they can run 100,000 rounds in places like Argentina.

Beretta makes a first rate rig. Browning golds can be found used for less money and are very soft shooting, partly due to weight, they are going to be a bit heavier than the beretta A400. The browning silver 20 gauge is a bit lighter than the gold but with the same action and features, has the speed load feature which I've liked since I was 12 and grandpa gave me his old A5. Bought a Weatherby SA08 in 28 gauge for my daughter and I to share:), it is hands down the lightest, softest shooting auto loader I've ever fooled with, it hits where I'm looking and can be had for about 700.00, quite a bit less than the beretta A400 28 gauge. My goto 20 gauge auto loader is a benelli M1 (inertia,not gas) I've taken more game with that gun than all my other firearms combined.

One of the guys I guided over the weekend had the new Browning Maxus. I popped a few clays with it really liked it. Good features for loading and unloading, great balance etc.
the function test was limited, two boxes of cheap trap loads and close to four boxes of heavy fives or sixes. No hiccups.
Still think my M1 and M2 Benelli are the most issue free guns I've ever owned.

MZ5":2k0wwcts said:
Any suggestions as to models I should look at?
No Remingtons, I'm afraid.

What’s wrong with a gun that holds the record of over 24,000 shell’s fired with out cleaning or parts breakage. Remington 1100 20ga. If any other manufactures gun was as good why have they not attempted to break this record.
Steve Barnett Fine Guns has some engraved modes starting at $8,500
If I won the lotto I would buy his set of all gauges for $45,000 for four F grade 1100’s about as nice looking as any gun at any price as I have seen and nicer than most K 80 I see at ATA events.
IMHO. Good luck with your search.

I'm a B gun fan myself.
Beretta and Benelli that is.
Had a Browning Gold 20 that was incredibly soft shooting, mainly due to the fact it was as heavy as a 12 ga and subsequently handled like a 4x4 post.
Got rid of it and replaced it with a Beretta 391 20 ga.
Light, lively handling and recoils like a BB gun.
The Beretta 390 in 20 ga is another very soft shooter but very rarely seen for sale even used today.

The Benelli is easier to strip and clean than a Beretta.
An M1 or M2 is even lighter than the 391 and subsequently ( to me anyway ) has a sharper recoil impulse.
The Benelli Montefeltro is another light weight inertia gun to consider. My best friend shot one for awhile and got rid of it because of the perceived recoil difference between it and a Beretta 390.

Back