Africa or Texas or Florida

Gil

I do not bow hunt but have an interest in doing so and I know you are very good at bow hunting and knowledgeable about it as well---so--

1. if you wound an animal with a bow in Africa can you use a rifle to finish him when tracking him ?

2. wrong place I know but since we are talking about this----same question only if your in the States or Canada ?

3. Do you think more animals are wounded by bow hunting than rifle hunting---this is what we were told but dont know if it is true ?

thanks Gil or any bow hunters that might be able to answer my questions

Tough questions, and I do not know all of the rules in Africa, in other Canadian provinces or the States.

1) In Africa I do know that if you draw blood, you pay for the trophy regardless if the animal is not recovered (a rule I believe should be practiced here, or at least the tag cancelled). I believe that the PH will follow up on a poorly hit animal whenever they deem it necessary. I would rather the PH finish off a poorly hit animal and reduce its' suffering or chance of escaping to a slow, prolonged death vs my ability to brag about a bow kill. Perhaps April or Jamilla would be able to answer this question better.

2) Here in BC, if you wound an animal with a bow during an archery only season, you must make all reasonable effort to recover the animal, and finish it with the bow: no firearms allowed. If during a regular season, where any weapon is allowed, then a firearm could be used to finish off the archery wounded animal.

3)I have heard this statement, but have neither seen or been provided any factual data to support the claim. I do know that there are animals that are wounded and lost every year by both rifle and archery hunters. With the current fad of long range hunting, I would not be surprised if this claim is swinging towards the rifle hunters. Local game wardens report finding more found dead animals (from bullet wounds) in the region, but are unable to determine exactly where the animal was shot from and whether or not they were actually shot in the location they were found in. Many people do not take the time to make all reasonable efforts to recover their game or even look to see if they actually hit the animal.

That is exciting Gil, I am sure that you and Susan will have a great time and I know that you will have your camera working as hard as that 338-06 :wink:.
Nettie and I are going to try to make it up DC this coming spring for a few days maybe we can meet for lunch or supper we can ask Mike & Lynda as well :wink:. The 2 of us should be able to talk Mike into buying supper, that way he will be helping the local economy :mrgreen:.
Again I am really happy that you & Susan are going on this adventure (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2z902wii said:
That is exciting Gil, I am sure that you and Susan will have a great time and I know that you will have your camera working as hard as that 338-06 :wink:.
Nettie and I are going to try to make it up DC this coming spring for a few days maybe we can meet for lunch or supper we can ask Mike & Lynda as well :wink:. The 2 of us should be able to talk Mike into buying supper, that way he will be helping the local economy :mrgreen:.
Again I am really happy that you & Susan are going on this adventure (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

Any time, Dan. You and Nettie are always welcome here.

Gil, thank you. I did receive some information from the ladies and "it varies". Somewhat the decision of the Ph, more than the country. If you want to try to find it and finish it via bow, they will try ---but, your paying for this time, and to finish it with a rifle could be in your best interest, time wise, which translates into "your" hunting time, plus if you dont find it you still pay for it.

April said she would send me some "so-called" studies but in her opinion these were studies conducted by people who are just against bow hunting and she is not sure there is any credible evidence suggesting more animals are injured bow hunting over rifle hunting. In fact, she agrees with you, that because of the trend toward long range rifle hunting it could be just the opposite. She also said Cheyenne had some information on this, that were tied into your government ( Canada ) pushing to eliminate bow hunting and whoever that is or was, were also against hunting in general. She remembers Cheyenne telling her that it is what they do. Eliminate one type of hunting and then go after the next type of hunting. I just wanted to share with you what I have found out thus far.

Blkram":2dskeh5r said:
Tough questions, and I do not know all of the rules in Africa, in other Canadian provinces or the States.

1) In Africa I do know that if you draw blood, you pay for the trophy regardless if the animal is not recovered (a rule I believe should be practiced here, or at least the tag cancelled). I believe that the PH will follow up on a poorly hit animal whenever they deem it necessary. I would rather the PH finish off a poorly hit animal and reduce its' suffering or chance of escaping to a slow, prolonged death vs my ability to brag about a bow kill. Perhaps April or Jamilla would be able to answer this question better.

2) Here in BC, if you wound an animal with a bow during an archery only season, you must make all reasonable effort to recover the animal, and finish it with the bow: no firearms allowed. If during a regular season, where any weapon is allowed, then a firearm could be used to finish off the archery wounded animal.

3)I have heard this statement, but have neither seen or been provided any factual data to support the claim. I do know that there are animals that are wounded and lost every year by both rifle and archery hunters. With the current fad of long range hunting, I would not be surprised if this claim is swinging towards the rifle hunters. Local game wardens report finding more found dead animals (from bullet wounds) in the region, but are unable to determine exactly where the animal was shot from and whether or not they were actually shot in the location they were found in. Many people do not take the time to make all reasonable efforts to recover their game or even look to see if they actually hit the animal.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question...
Here in Germany, we MUST trail wounded game with a trained dog who has passed several tests.
I read that trailling is illigal in some states, though it would definetly help finding game.
I helped on bloidtrails on wounded hogs that went on for several miles.
I know you have excelent bloodhounds, too.
Just don't understand why it is not common practice, as it reduces suffering and puts more meat in the freezer...

A friend of mine sells 'Teckel' to the US on a regular basis.
They are small enough to carry in a backpack, but good on the trail if terrain is not too steep...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Was hoping to see an update on the success of the Safari by now. . .trackers in Africa are amazing-tracking animals for hours and days through different habitats and through thousands of other animal tracks. Where I was in rsa they typically use jack russel terriers which will track and bay or hold animals until the hunter can perform the follow up shot. They are very quick and efficient and can even bay large game-I saw them hold a waterbuck for us. The trackers and the dogs are something to behold! One of our trackers said he got his experience tracking the family goats when they wandered off.

Unfortunatetly, I was unemployed for most of 2018 and I had to cancel our safari. Mostly used the monies to keep up on the bills, but did manage to sell some hunting/shooting items and rifles, and purchased some other long sought after firearms, mostly adding to the lever action collection.

Will definitely be planning on going to Africa when we can afford to after securing new employment. May take a while to save for the trip, but will get there someday. Very high on the bucket list!

Still want to hunt the Eastern Cape of South Africa as originally planned, for the four spiral horns (bushbuck, eland, kudu and nyala) for myself, and sable and the four colours of springbok (common, white, black and copper or gold depending on who you talk to) for Susan, and Zambia for sitatunga and all three subspecies of lechwe (red, black and kafue).

Gil. I am sorry about the employment situation and that you did not make your trip to Africa

Are you and Susan still able to compete in the archery contests ? How is she feeling btw ? ( after her injury )

If you dont want to hunt any dangerous game animals or even the largest of the plains game, that certainly should bring your hunt costs down to reasonable levels. Gil, Africa, New Zealand, and most of Europe have gotten expensive, but you can still get some good hunts in for less money in Argentina and Australia. Surprising Argentina has a wide range if animals one can hunt plus dove hunting is legendary . I would think even the folks like Don and Guy, who love wing shooting might consider Argentina---just a thought Gil

Thanks April.

We still competed in archery at a regional and provincial level last year, but could not afford to go to the Nationals in Nova Scotia. As it was one of the qualifying competition for this year's World Championships here in Canada, we will not be on Team Canada again for the World's this time around. C'est la vie!
Will compete again at the same levels this year, but want to spend more time with our horses this year. Have to break Susan's mare to saddle and my Fjord to pack saddle, so that we can get ready for horseback hunting trips in the mountains soon.

When I was initially researching where to go, I priced out Argentina as well, and South Africa still provided the best bang for the buck, for theanimals on our bucket list. Would still like to go there to hunt red stag, fallow deer, and blackbuck. As well as do some flyfishing for their rainbow trout.

Gil I hope your new job gives you the opportunity to fill your wish.
And I would like to wish you and your family a Happy and successful New Year.

Back