My Deer 2017

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Some one suggested that I should post this in "Hunting" as its own post rather than Just in hunting pics. Im always up for a little extra publicity :) ... The post copied from hunting pics:

Well - I really landed in the middle of some luck. Lots of it, trust me. When you work from a "rolling ground blind" (The crown Vic in the picture)the right critter has to step into the right place at the right time. So..... Last Saturday my Brother in law and I were on the road at 4:00 AM to cover the 120 miles from the big city to a spot in SW MN. Brother in law went with me since hes had a ton of health issues in the last year. Since we are both kinda messed up...We kinda talked each other into going hunting at all. Father in law sprung for the Liscence fee. How could we say no... Any way about 9:30 AM I caught a little bit of movement in the tall grass to the right of the car. In the time it took me to say "deer" to my BIL the deer had moved across the field alley where the car sat. from there a few more steps onto the plowed ground I was sitting next to and into my "shooting lane" defined by the car window. From there it was slow motion.... deer in the scope...dirt over his back....(Safety drummed into my head as a kid) dot on his chest, right behind the shoulder. One of those rare occasions when you see the Deer buckle as the slug hits. Then he disappears from the recoil but I'm back on him in time to see the blood running from his side as he made a 120 yard dash before piling up. Sorry for the crappy pics- I forgot the camera so I'm relying on the skills of others. Shot was about 60 yards with my "Moosberg" using a 12 ga.Federal trophy copper slug. I am so blessed and just dumb lucky. CL

PS- if you count the main beam as a point, He's an 8. My biggest to date. BIL law was pretty stoked too. All the sudden he was out of the car and hobbling into a ground blind in the rain for the remainder of the day. (y) He told m later "it was nice to just be out and sit and just think about hunting...nothing else. Aint that the truth!

Congrats great looking buck, good you could spend time in the outdoors with family.

Congratulations on your buck, glad it all came together for you this fall. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy every bite of that nice buck :)

You did very well, Troy. Congratulations. You have every reason to be pleased with that buck.

Congratulations on a beautiful buck, Troy. And, yes, I call that an eight point. It is great that you and your Brother-in-law made the effort to get out there and that your Father-in-law helped with the expenses. It sounds like a family affair with a great ending. I hope your brother-in-law gets a chance at one also.

Dan

Well OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations on a real nice buck. You did well, and seems you two had a pretty doggone good day. Enjoy the steaks - and get those antlers on the wall. They are nice!

Guy

Congratulations Troy, very nice reward for your dedication and effort. Hunting memories that you can carry in the future are treasures. Great that your family joined in the hunt.

Troy,
Congratulations on a dandy buck.
You made a great shot. Way to go buddy.

JD338

Nice Shotgunning Troy! I’ve looked at quite a few 99’s in 250-3000 because of your appreciation for that cartridge.
Congratulations on a great hunt and buck! Yes main beam is a point in my book too!
Wishing you many more great hunts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the fine buck. Sometimes just getting out in the field just does the trick, and you never know what will show up.. Glad you got out there and Got Er Done.. (y)
Take care
Ed

Great job Troy! Always nice to know your efforts produced a fine buck to show up after such a long drive! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks all! I've gotta say again...everthing just came together on this one. Grateful I am. I have missed that shot a few times :oops: ! I took some grief from the boys. :) If I had missed, my BIL would have never let me live it down. Now the pressure is on for next year. They think I'm some sort a marksman.... :lol: :lol: :shock: Part of the fun. CL

Congratulations Troy :wink:!. Don’t you love it when all comes together every once in a while.
That Buck will provide some great table fare.
Thank you for the post & photos..

Blessings,
Dan

Back