Pump gun loads

hogginlong

Beginner
Apr 14, 2017
For anyone that loads for centerfire pump guns do you use small base dies? My son in law would like for me to load for his Remington 270 but all I have is standard 2 die set. I've seen it said you should use sb dies for ar's but I've never had a problem using std. dies for them. Just wondering about reliability.

On my fourth Rem 760-7600 different calibers and always used FL size dies. No problems. Dan.

Not pump, but normally standard FL dies work my semi's. Rifle will tell you if it needs a small base die.

I have found that FL dies work, if factory ammo from several manufacturer's feed reliably. I had a rifle that was fine with Federal cartridges but Remington cartridges were sticky and few wouldn't chamber. Fed's were on the small side of specs and the Rem's were on the large side of specs. Ultimately my FL die was on the larger size and thus that one rifle needed special attention.

Yes I use small base sizer die RCBS
If it is Rem 760 the best of the bunch you can load it just like a Bolt gun and like others said trim your brass.

I've got a 7600 Remington in .35 Whelen and SB dies are not an option. I've never had a problem with my loads feeding or ejecting properly using a standard FL die set.

I have had 3 35 whelens in the 7600. Regular dies worked freat!

Back