6.5 Creedmoor - why?

I’ve got a 6.5 Swede but man, I would like the CM. Something about those little 6.5’s is just a bunch of fun.

For what it’s worth, my little Swede with 26 will do 2900 pretty easy with a 140 AB. Pretty danged impressive little cartridge.

.you bet, but not worth selling an accurate 270, 308, or even 250 Savage ( :p :roll: )

Good point CL.
Mentioning the 250 is interesting. Blow out the sides a hair and give it a 30 degree shoulder and neck it to .264 and you pretty much have the Creed.

longrangehunter":3nex7yxh said:
George,

Now that Lapua is selling brass, and is using a 1.5mm flash hole/small rifle primer the Creedmoor can be loaded just as fast as the 260, and do it in a better designed case! I have a GAP built 6.5 x 47L and a 260 Rem. my first was the 260 built by George Gardner himself...... that gun will get a facelift (barrel job) this winter, and it will be a 6.5 Creedmoor!

So I do have almost 500 pcs. of Lapua 260 Rem. 3x brass, and a Redding 260 Rem. Type S Match die set, and a Type S Neck die if that interests anyone?

Is there a difference once the bullet leaves the barrel and hits steel or a Game animal, Nope, and you know that! But if you lose your ammo abroad you should be able to find factory ammo that will shoot well in the Creedmoor, which is a plus.

Small Rifle Primers isn't "better" on a hunting rifle.... been there, done that. I've seen numerous problems with the x47 when temps dip below about 20*. Had hangfires, and all kinds of weird stuff happen.... and there's a couple coyotes who got aweful lucky. I tried several Primers, but never could get around the issue.

When it comes to Mid-Size 6.5s.... Pass the .260 please....

Songdog":q426svon said:
Small Rifle Primers isn't "better" on a hunting rifle.... been there, done that. I've seen numerous problems with the x47 when temps dip below about 20*. Had hangfires, and all kinds of weird stuff happen.... and there's a couple coyotes who got aweful lucky. I tried several Primers, but never could get around the issue.

When it comes to Mid-Size 6.5s.... Pass the .260 please....
Whether or not you've witnessed that or not, I'm swapping mine for long range precision tactical events. I've used both cartridges, and my 6.5x47 Lapua has yet to have a single hiccup.

I'd imagine if that were the case the millions of .223/5.56 NATO's used for coyote hunting around the Country would be replaced? I use a bolt gun .223 Rem. and a 5.56 NATO AR for Coyotes, and I've yet to have a hangfire even with my own handloads below freezing, so maybe it's the primer/powder combination you're using?

So I know the US Palma team has placed their ammo in the freezer overnight and tested it (155/VarGet) without any issues, which is the same powder I use in both my .223 Rem. and my 6.5x47 Lapua.

For me the benefits are for the super low ES/SD and tight primer pockets which is why the US Palma team asked Lapua to produce the 308 Winchester with a small primer pocket.

Here's a very new article from our friends across the Atlantic on the subject:

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=2613

I looked it over a little quick, and not sure but it appears they are still working on finishing the article since the page just kind of ends after bullet selection.

Here's another forum question about that and a reply from Lapua:

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/sni ... alma-brass

Big difference between getting a 69 grain bullet rolling via a 25 gr charge of H335.... and firing a 140 in front of a 40+ grain charge of 4350.... with the same cap.

There's also a big difference between sticking your anmo in the freezer.... and laying on a ditchline for two hours in 0 degree weather, waiting for a coyote to come by. When everything is cold, it's different than when just your ammo is cold.

I see/hear all the stuff about how the small rifle primer is fine in the cold, and how doesn't matter.... but my empirical evidence speaks volumes to the contrary... if only just to me.

I like the x47 conceptually.... and that rifle was the most accurate rifle I ever owned... if it was 20+ degrees, but it went tits-up in the cold. I agree on the benefits you mentioned such as super low ES/SD.... until my ES on one shot is 1247fps.... and a critter runs away snickering at my flaccid projectile dysfunction. I'll take a little higher ES/SD in exchange for reliability under a broader range of conditions.

My only response is what the cartridge was designed for and use it as it was intended? There's plenty of cartridges out there that'll do what you're after, and without any issues? Which by the way anyone can use the same ammo that has a large rifle primer in a 6.5 Creedmoor , can't say that for too many other cartridges? Fact is the case comes with both designs, so it's a mute point IMO!

SBJ358,

I too have a 6.5 Swede and I have been thinking about a CM. I am interested in the load you are getting using RL26, 140 gr AB's getting 2900fps. Please share.

Thank you.

If you reload the 6.5 x55 (long action) performs better than the 260 in modern rifles.
The factory loads for the Swede are abysmal with numbers I measured for Winchester white box 140 gr advertised as 2500 or so actually measured at 2200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you reload the 6.5 x55 (long action) performs better than the 260 in modern rifles.
The factory loads for the Swede are abysmal with numbers I measured for Winchester white box 140 gr advertised as 2500 or so actually measured at 2200.

ericbc7":3spfz1py said:

Only 2200 fps? Ya, that's pretty poor. Phooey. But you're right, handloading will cure that issue.

Guy

Guy Miner":1cr9pblw said:
ericbc7":1cr9pblw said:

Only 2200 fps? Ya, that's pretty poor. Phooey. But you're right, handloading will cure that issue.

Guy
2200 was a measured number using a magnetospeed crono
I was astonished
And there was some variance but the avg was slightly above 2200
But lowest was at 2200

I saw the same thing with the PPU 139’s. Handloading fixer that up easy enough though.

ericbc7":3q037w3g said:
I was astonished
But lowest was at 2200

That's the kind of dismal performance that's really limited the appeal of surplus cartridges here. A friend of mine had been a fan of the 7x57 until he chronographed some of it. He still shoots the 7x57, but he's a hand loader now.

200 fps below the published MV isn't unheard of and the published figures are pretty mild to start with.

hodgeman":jzzm17ln said:
ericbc7":jzzm17ln said:
I was astonished
But lowest was at 2200

That's the kind of dismal performance that's really limited the appeal of surplus cartridges here. A friend of mine had been a fan of the 7x57 until he chronographed some of it. He still shoots the 7x57, but he's a hand loader now.

200 fps below the published MV isn't unheard of and the published figures are pretty mild to start with.

I understand the manufacturers fear of over pressure, and since there will be some moron that puts modern ammo in an old rifle I can’t blame manufactures.
I do know that with handloading I can get 2850 to 2900 FPS with a 140 gr bullet with the 6.5x55

I also chronographed the Winchester’s when I had a 6.5 Swede. I practically got the same velocity some of y’all did. I handloaded though, and that really makes the Swede shine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Swede. Really.

But if you want to maximize your 6.5 performance in a long action with handloading, a 6.5-06 trumps it easily. Yes, it burns a little more powder. But so does the Swede than a Creed.

If you want to maximize your 6.5 performance in 2.8" mag box, the Creed is the way to go. It nips right on the heels of a maxed-out Swede.

If you've got short action mags closer to 3.0", then a 260 AI would squeeze about as much horsepower out of a 6.5 as you're gonna get.

Back