New Double Rifle decision

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I was ask a question which I have answered but I also ask if I could ask you fellows, as when someone here starts a, which rifle to buy thread, they get like 50 responses

I was given permission as long as I leave out certain parts of the question/statement as it was sent too me, which I have done

Which caliber, manufacturer, lock system, would you buy and why

Westley Richards sidelock, 375 Flanged,

H & H round action/sidelock / hand detachable
450/400,

Rigby "Rising Bite" 416 sidelock

If someone here prefers the Drop lock or Box lock, please explain why as maybe something has changed that we dont know about

thanks

I should add, none of these calibers will be too much recoil and will be enough gun for the purpose intended

Wish I can help but I have very little knowledge of double rifles.

I can't say either, other then all three are World Class gun makers of fine doubles. I'd pick the best value based on its face market value of the merchandise and condition?

this is way above my pay grade both figuratively and in factually---But when time permits I will try to look some them up

That is a question I WISH I could help answer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I am looking forward to following this post because I know absolutely nothing about doubles.

Blessings,
Dan

Ok I don't know anything about double rifles and very little about the cartridges they are chambered in.
With saying that I would think I would get the H&H because of the side locks which are easy to access for repairs and what I believe by the description to be hand disassembled meaning you can break it down like a double shot gun by removing the forearm by a simple lever or button release mechanism with out tools for cleaning.
And caliber would be 375 Flanged since that is probably as much horse power as I want to deal with.

I'd get a Heym "PH"....plain sort of working gun. No engraving.

Likely get it in .375 H&H or 450/400 since it would be regulated with Hornady ammunition that I can get pretty easily (comparatively). I don't really hunt big DG... but still, classy.

I'd also want that set of matching 20ga barrels since we're dreaming big!

I've looked at such a rifle... but it's ultimately too spendy for my wallet. A few years ago I saw a used one in Fairbanks in .470N.E...very businesslike. I liked it, except for the price.

I should have bought it...it'd easily be worthy several thousand more than the price tag now.

I've owned, or had possession of only one for a few years. A 577 NE. Wasn't all that bad to shoot but you did have to hang on. That being said and considering the intended purpose, I would keep things as clean and simple as possible. I think I too would go with Heyms PH. In 450/400 or 470. But hell, unless I win the lottery I'll never own one.... but if I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish someone like Henry would make one in 45/70 in the more affordable range. I'd love to have one. Maybe it's something that can't be mass produced.

gbflyer":399h7bwy said:
I wish someone like Henry would make one in 45/70 in the more affordable range. I'd love to have one. Maybe it's something that can't be mass produced.

I think it could be mass produced, but the market just isn't there to make tooling up worthwhile...much like double barrel SxS shotguns. Lots of folks want one, much fewer actually buy them. The folks who make them stay busy, but it's unlikely they are very profitable until you get into the high end guns. The numbers to bring the price down to mass market levels just aren't there.

It's the product for a connoisseur, not the mass market for the most part.

Europe":23pnj8xa said:
I was ask a question which I have answered but I also ask if I could ask you fellows, as when someone here starts a, which rifle to buy thread, they get like 50 responses

I was given permission as long as I leave out certain parts of the question/statement as it was sent too me, which I have done

Which caliber, manufacturer, lock system, would you buy and why

Westley Richards sidelock, 375 Flanged,

H & H round action/sidelock / hand detachable
450/400,

Rigby "Rising Bite" 416 sidelock

If someone here prefers the Drop lock or Box lock, please explain why as maybe something has changed that we dont know about

thanks

I should add, none of these calibers will be too much recoil and will be enough gun for the purpose intended
This is the one I would choose.
https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/guns/the-rising-bite/

Ken, that is the one I recommended as well

Hodgeman--they make an excellent working mans double and they are very well made. They have been discussed, but when push came to shove the three mentioned were in the lead. Also in reference to shotguns, think "Connecticut" LOL

Rodger, thank you. We can't change the calibers, as the ones mentioned are all finished and ready to go out the door. We could, of course, get any of them in whatever caliber we want, but it would be 2019, before we got them.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input ---especially salmon chaser.( power ball ticket ) which is a good idea, but fortunately for me, I am not paying for this rifle.

Elkman":2hooql8f said:
Do they only shoot two rounds at a time?
Ha Ha Ha that's a good one and I sure wouldn't want to be behind one when they do. I've had a 12ga double barrel shot gun double up on me and that was no fun.

April I miss read your post and yeah I would agree with you on the Rigby in 416.

hodgeman":34ss06yf said:
gbflyer":34ss06yf said:

I think it could be mass produced, but the market just isn't there to make tooling up worthwhile...much like double barrel SxS shotguns. Lots of folks want one, much fewer actually buy them. The folks who make them stay busy, but it's unlikely they are very profitable until you get into the high end guns. The numbers to bring the price down to mass market levels just aren't there.

It's the product for a connoisseur, not the mass market for the most part.

No doubt you're correct sir. There are the Baikal double rifles, imported by various makers, even Remington for a time. They look like they were built in a high school ag shop and I've not heard good reports about QC.

Fun conversation. Nothing like dreaming of double rifles and beautiful French walnut.

Elkman":3squwlzj said:
Do they only shoot two rounds at a time?

and at the same time, on occasion . The conventional wisdom is front trigger first and then back trigger. But some shoot the back trigger first so as to eliminate any chance of firing them both, and it does happen and when it does it gets ones attention.

As to firing two shots and then needing a third and fourth --with practice it can be done very quickly--or--one can do what Aleena does and has her gun bearer carry two rifles and when the she shoots both barrels of the first rifle, he hands her the second rifle. My husband and I were lucky to have one used rifle, so we never tried the gun bearer trick. Well actually we never even had a gun bearer, but those doubles weight so much, it is not a bad idea

I can not resist----the doubles in question do not come in stainless and synthetic stock!!!lol thank God---you guys and your dislike for walnut )-:

Back