New Double Rifle decision

Elkman":uon66h84 said:
Do they only shoot two rounds at a time?

There are stories in the Peter Capstick books about loosing both barrels. I cannot imagine the bruise.

A stainless steel and synthetic stocked double rifle,might as well eat peach ice cream with sauerkraut.

elkhunternm":ucnkfyan said:
A stainless steel and synthetic stocked double rifle,might as well eat peach ice cream with sauerkraut.
Hmmm that might be right tasty. You may have something there. :grin:

gbflyer":311c734a said:
No doubt you're correct sir. There are the Baikal double rifles, imported by various makers, even Remington for a time. They look like they were built in a high school ag shop and I've not heard good reports about QC.

Fun conversation. Nothing like dreaming of double rifles and beautiful French walnut.

A friend of mine had one of the Baikals in 45-70.... high school ag shop is (if anything) too kind.

There was a lot of interest and speculation in Ruger producing one back when they made the Gold Label shotgun. Unfortunately the rifle never appeared and the shotgun vanished after a brief appearance in the catalog.

I haven't had an opportunity to handle a double. But have a new appreciation for them. Thank you Europe for this thread.
Duane

Elkman":1rgwayx0 said:
Just the idea of a double rifle is so cool. It just screams Africa.

Yup! (y)

And that right there is about all I know of them. :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":1t84jnld said:
Elkman":1t84jnld said:
Just the idea of a double rifle is so cool. It just screams Africa.

Yup! (y)

And that right there is about all I know of them. :grin:

Guy

Same here.. Pretty danged cool rifles.

Europe":1lfgyhbi said:
I was ask a question which I have answered but I also ask if I could ask you fellows, as when someone here starts a, which rifle to buy thread, they get like 50 responses

I was given permission as long as I leave out certain parts of the question/statement as it was sent too me, which I have done

Which caliber, manufacturer, lock system, would you buy and why

Westley Richards sidelock, 375 Flanged,

H & H round action/sidelock / hand detachable
450/400,

Rigby "Rising Bite" 416 sidelock

If someone here prefers the Drop lock or Box lock, please explain why as maybe something has changed that we dont know about

thanks

I should add, none of these calibers will be too much recoil and will be enough gun for the purpose intended

I would say caliberwise the .450 Nitro express. Easy to reload and flexible with bulletweights. Shoot 350grain spizers for deer, boar etc and 480-500grain for heavy stuff. The .450 is often build on a smaller frame than the .470Nitro also. Name, brand or make of the gun is just who ever you like.

Back