Cape Buff & Plains Game

Guy Miner":uuprlpds said:
Ya, buffalo may be out of my reach financially. But I do want to hunt Africa. Gemsbok above all else calls me.

JI want to go to Africa. I think I've got some medical issues resolved, permitting travel again. Not in the near future, but probably 2019.

Regards, Guy

Hey Guy.

It would so great for you to go to the BIG A...

For gemsbok a .30-06 will do just fine...actually a .30-06 will get you going for 99% of all the african game. Use heavy +200grain for wilderbeast,eland, kudu etc. For impalas, springbok, warthogs etc a superfast 130grain will be crytonite.
Be praying for you ol`chap (y)

Thanks. A plains game hunt is in the budget - and I'd be tempted to bring my 30-06 with the same 200 gr Nosler Partition load I used in Alaska last spring.

A cape buffalo hunt is really pushing the ol' budget... We will see. I kinda like beans and rice, so maybe I'll eat beans and rice and save for a buffalo hunt! For buffalo, of course I'd bring the 375!

Guy

Guy Miner":1ucy67ix said:
Thanks. A plains game hunt is in the budget - and I'd be tempted to bring my 30-06 with the same 200 gr Nosler Partition load I used in Alaska last spring.

A cape buffalo hunt is really pushing the ol' budget... We will see. I kinda like beans and rice, so maybe I'll eat beans and rice and save for a buffalo hunt! For buffalo, of course I'd bring the 375!

Guy

Well..if the choice is to be in Africa for 4 days and hunt/shoot a buffalo or spend 14 days hunting small stuff I would take hunting small stuff at any time. The duration(length of staying) once you are in hunting internationally will give you more fun and experience.

Rigbymauser":3afd86w4 said:
Guy Miner":3afd86w4 said:

Guy

Well..if the choice is to be in Africa for 4 days and hunt/shoot a buffalo or spend 14 days hunting small stuff I would take hunting small stuff at any time. The duration(length of staying) once you are in hunting internationally will give you more fun and experience.
Yep that's what I would plan for also.
I spent 2 weeks in Montana and wished I could have stayed for a month.
What am I saying, I actually called a real estate agent looking to buy property while I was there. :)>)

If I was to go to Africa it would be Cape Buffalo, they have always fascinated me. The only rifle that I have that might be suitable is the Ruger #1 in 45-90. With full loads it gets in just under .458 velocities, and of course recoil is substantial. I have the time and money to go but just can't seem to fully commit. I can hunt elk in three states the rest of my life for the cost of one hunt.

There is no use taking the $$$ to the grave with you Bill. I say go for it while your still able. Africa is a pretty cool place and everyone should go at least once. When I go back it will be for Cape Buffalo and I have plenty of suitable rifles to take but I will probably build another one just for that trip. The cost of a suitable rifle for buff is pretty small compared to the cost of the trip.

IdahoCTD":106yz0r6 said:
The cost of a suitable rifle for buff is pretty small compared to the cost of the trip.

True! (y)

It's interesting, the price of a plains game hunt is far less than that of a buffalo hunt. Also the PH's I've spoken with echo RigbyMauser's recommendation for a 30-06 & good bullets for most plains game. I'd think my current 30-06 with the 6x Leupold and either 165 or 180 gr Partitions would work just fine. There's also that 200 gr Partition ammo I made for the Alaska trip, that stuff shot really well!

But I've got this 375 Model 70 just itching for a trip to Africa... :grin:

The rifle & ammo are a small, fun, part of the planning. The real issue is coming up with the cash for the buffalo hunt... Plains game hunts are actually pretty doggone affordable.

Guy

Guy Miner":c93kbtu4 said:
IdahoCTD":c93kbtu4 said:
The cost of a suitable rifle for buff is pretty small compared to the cost of the trip.

True! (y)

It's interesting, the price of a plains game hunt is far less than that of a buffalo hunt. Also the PH's I've spoken with echo RigbyMauser's recommendation for a 30-06 & good bullets for most plains game. I'd think my current 30-06 with the 6x Leupold and either 165 or 180 gr Partitions would work just fine. There's also that 200 gr Partition ammo I made for the Alaska trip, that stuff shot really well!

But I've got this 375 Model 70 just itching for a trip to Africa... :grin:

The rifle & ammo are a small, fun, part of the planning. The real issue is coming up with the cash for the buffalo hunt... Plains game hunts are actually pretty doggone affordable.

Guy

..get the itching out of your system. Take the .375 &H and blast away. You`ll like it. Take it on a walk-up hunt on warthogs or whatever that pops up.

Yeah I believe if I went to Africa the model 70 in 375 H&H would just have to go. I’m not 100% sure but I figure some good handloads with 260-270 grain bullets have a trajectory similar to a 180 grain 30/06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":1qcq1h0s said:
Yeah I believe if I went to Africa the model 70 in 375 H&H would just have to go. I’m not 100% sure but I figure some good handloads with 260-270 grain bullets have a trajectory similar to a 180 grain 30/06.

They do. Very similar. I've nailed a couple of black bear at beyond 300 yards with my 375 Number One and a 260 gr AccuBond. No problem.

Hits pretty danged hard too.

Guy

Cleveland48":24un7dft said:
My brother shot a few deer with the 260 AccuBond, and it was a hammer for sure.

First bear I shot with my 375 Number One and that bullet was in 2010. Shot was 306 yards, we'd stalked and simply ran out of cover. It was shoot from that rocky outcropping, or don't shoot at all.

Bear was feeding on the edge of some bushes. Stood up. Bang. Whump! Could hear the bullet hit. Bear went down like dropping a sack of potatoes. My hunting buddy looked at me, saying something like "wow!"

I remain very impressed with the .375 and today's good bullets. Those 260 gr Accubonds have been difficult to obtain the past couple of years. I've scrounged up a couple of boxes, but am not squandering them on plinking sessions at the rifle range. No sir!

Guy

Yes the 260 AB in 375 and 250 AB in 9.3mm have been very hard to find. Really wanting to try that 250 AB in the 9.3x62.

Back