270 Win 130 grain Tipped Trophy Bonded

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Okay, found 3051 FPS in my 270 and figured that was good for a jug test. Shot them into 1 gallon water jugs and found it in the bottom of the 6th jug.

Looks like it’ll hunt well. Haven’t put any on paper at distance but I think they will work.

That is pretty much the performance I would expect of the TTBBC. In the far, far long ago, I purchased my 175 grain TBBC from Jack Carter. I was loading them in my 7RM; the load was lethal for black bear, moose, elk, mule deer and a number of other critters. (It worked marvellously to "bark" squirrels.) I still have some of those bullets. The tipped variety should be just as good, if not better.

Mike I’ve heard the originals are amazing. I’ve got my old mans 225 TBBC from his grizzly and it looks darned good. I can only imagine those 175’s in a 7 are tough on Big Game.

Kevin, yup they have the silver coating on them.

Scotty,

When I recovered a bullet, it was always between 95% and 97% of expected weight. They penetrated as though little could stop them. I have recovered a few from moose and elk, but never from other species.

Those bullets in Silver work perfectly for shooting Vampires! Only bullet I will use on them,
Show em the cross first, then take the heart shot ! Works perfectly ever time! Here is last one we Got! , here he is right after I showed him the cross! IMG_1972.JPG
I don't think he had ever brushed his teeth??

I used them extensively back in the day in my Remington Custom Shop KS 375 H&H, accurate and performed super well on Game.

From the looks of things I wish I had kept them on hand like I do now in various calibers.....E!

I shot them into the jugs at about 25 yards.

Haven't put them on paper yet, but I suspect they will be fine. Seems like they are just about like any other bonded bullet. I have them backed off .050" and will do a quick flat spot work up and see what they do on paper.

Wow, that is great expansion and penetration. Do they still make that bullet? If so, who sells them, I would like to try those in my 270 wsm.

Also, what rifle are you shooting those out of? (Pictures) I would like to build a lightweight mountain rifle in 270 Win.

AFG270":619qguvf said:
Wow, that is great expansion and penetration. Do they still make that bullet? If so, who sells them, I would like to try those in my 270 wsm.

Also, what rifle are you shooting those out of? (Pictures) I would like to build a lightweight mountain rifle in 270 Win.

They just started making them for reloaders. They are for sale on Midway.

I shot those out of my old 270 Featherweight. I’d love to hunt it someday but Bill would probably kick me out of camp :mrgreen:

Thanks, Scotty. I think I will also give some 160g a try in my son's 7mm RM, should make a great elk load for him this Fall. Has anyone seen BC info on these bullets yet? Don't see it on Federal or Midway's websites.

AFG270":3vo7p5ca said:
Thanks, Scotty. I think I will also give some 160g a try in my son's 7mm RM, should make a great elk load for him this Fall. Has anyone seen BC info on these bullets yet? Don't see it on Federal or Midway's websites.

I didn't see it either. They have a pretty decent boattail on them and a sleek nose, so I just guessed using a similar TTSX. I am sure it is different but I don't hardly shoot far enough to make it matter most of the time.

I harvested a small buck with a load using the 130 gr TBT last weekend. As expected, excellent penetration with full pass through at 50 yard broadside shot. I'm very pleased with this load and bullet.

BretN":o1qory01 said:
I harvested a small buck with a load using the 130 gr TBT last weekend. As expected, excellent penetration with full pass through at 50 yard broadside shot. I'm very pleased with this load and bullet.

Same here Bret. My brother used the 140 version from his 270 Winchester at 2912 Avg at the muzzle. He crushed a good sized cow through the tops of the legs and of course the spine and the Bullet trucked on thru.

Glad you hear they are working well on lighter animals as well. I’ve got the 130 version moving at 3150 from my little Featherweight. It’s very accurate and I don’t have much hesitation using it for most everything either.

Now if they can introduce them as components in diameters from 6mm to 416 I would be happy

They are a great bullet as near as I can tell, so hopefully they'll make them in more calibers. Most of our shots are 50 yards or less, which I think tends to be harder on bullets than a shot further out when the bullet has slowed some. I probably should have been using partitions or AB's for years, and do have a good AB load for my 280. But I wanted to try this new bullet with the new to me 270. Perfect exit wound and blood trail. I was surprised the buck went 40 yards, but I didn't hit the shoulders or spine so that's pretty common for me. I will definitely keep using this bullet.

Over the summer I had no trouble getting very accurate groups with RL19, as suggested by Federal. 56 gr. RL19 were usually around 1/2" and 58 gr was just under or at MOA. The last few trips to the range have been colder and the groups have opened some, still around 1.25-1.5" with 58 gr. RL19. Don't have any FPS chrono readings, but I suspect the bullets are going a little slower with the RL19 in the cold and coming out of the node a bit. Anyone else experience anything like this with RL19? For my hunting purposes, it doesn't matter, just curious. Thanks

Back