Midway clearance on Vx6

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Leupold VX-6 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2-12x 42mm Illuminated German #4F Reticle Matte
$840 / free shipping. Looks like a good deal on a Vx6!

That sounds like an excellent deal on that particular scope. People should jump on that.

35 Whelen":1sq10yux said:
Leupold VX-6 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2-12x 42mm Illuminated German #4F Reticle Matte
$840 / free shipping. Looks like a good deal on a Vx6!
Well how many did you buy? Ha ha

I bought one last year with just the Duplex Reticle, great scope.

In these part a VX6 retails for around $1400.00 and there are never any sales that give you a substantial mark down.
The VX6 is my favourite scope (y), I wish that I could find the occasional price like that :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

That's a decent price on that scope. I put that same scope, but with the windplex retlcle on Sue's M48 280AI. She is very happy with it.

JD338

Not a Leupold basher but I have two of those exact scopes and my 35 Newton has crushed the innards out of one, twice and the 338 beat up the 2nd one in about 75 rounds or less. I really love everything about the scopes other than their abilities to hold zero. These were both mounted in TPS rings on Warne bases, so I wasn't having an issue with weak mounts. Kinda heartbreaking to have such a great scope not being able to take the recoil or little bit of knob turning.

Scotty that is ridiculous even with their great Customer Service a quality scope should hold up to recoil. I had a older model VX-II on my 375 H&H for years without any problem at all and that was when I didn't know the difference between Tasco and Warne.
It is a shame when companies let there quality standards slip, I know that with my VX-6 I had to send it in for warranty work when the power ring seized on it. :(.
Hopefully Leupold can get the quality back up to where it was in the past because there are a lot of companies out there now want the market on glass.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2gir71c7 said:
Scotty that is ridiculous even with their great Customer Service a quality scope should hold up to recoil. I had a older model VX-II on my 375 H&H for years without any problem at all and that was when I didn't know the difference between Tasco and Warne.
It is a shame when companies let there quality standards slip, I know that with my VX-6 I had to send it in for warranty work when the power ring seized on it. :(.
Hopefully Leupold can get the quality back up to where it was in the past because there are a lot of companies out there now want the market on glass.

Blessings,
Dan

That's a fact Dan. I like the older Leupolds still, and their low powered variables are hard to beat, but I gotta say I am sorta gun shy on them anymore after having two of their flagship scopes die on me. Had a FX3 6X refuse to work as well. They offer great options, but maybe they really need to look at their function more than a gazzillion different options.

SJB358":39ote2zt said:
Not a Leupold basher but I have two of those exact scopes and my 35 Newton has crushed the innards out of one, twice and the 338 beat up the 2nd one in about 75 rounds or less. I really love everything about the scopes other than their abilities to hold zero. These were both mounted in TPS rings on Warne bases, so I wasn't having an issue with weak mounts. Kinda heartbreaking to have such a great scope not being able to take the recoil or little bit of knob turning.
Now you have me worried. I bought a VX3-i 3.5-10X40 with the windplex and put it on my 338 back in the summer last year. I will not be happy if it goes belly up on me. So far I have around 150rds on it with 200-210gr bullets not looking to break it but when I can find some 225&250gr bullets at a decent price I want to give them a try.

Scotty,

I hope you are not seeing a trend with Leupold. A VX7 with over 300 from a 340 wby and it holds like Robert's hand on his wallet. I've had luck with one VX6 on a rifle with some recoil (9x64) and so far it's held up fine. Not all that many rounds through it though.....................

Just ordered a VX6 1-6 for a rifle with some real recoil so we'll see before too long.............

It would figure though with Leupold if they are going cheap. A company run by a bunch of bean counters........

Well, I haven't had a new Leupold hold up (zero retention, tracking and return to zero) work for me since they switched to the VX3. My older VXIII's are still pretty good, but I can't wait to get rid of these VX6's. Don't trust them anymore.

Interesting stuff on the Leupolds, I guess all of these scopes are subject to problems, We have sold lots of
Sightron S1 scopes in the last 5 years simply because I could buy them for half the price of a Vx1 and we felt they were optically superior, never had a problem till this fall had 2 fail with lens coming loose, they had traced the ser
Number range down to one employee on one shift that had been assembling them incorrectly, they were having
a 4% failure with scopes he worked on.
I have a Vx3i, in here right now with 30mm tube, side focus,
4.5x14/40mm,with CDS.(Cabelas price $599) And I have got to say optically it is light years ahead of a Vx3 I bought a year ago with 1" tube that did not have side focus that I sold immediately.
This scope optically is as good as a $1200 Swarvoski that is in here as well. This Vx3i /30 mm is a totally different animal than their standard Vx3/1" tube......... As for how it will hold up tracking wise , I just dont know, it may have the same erector set as Scottys Vx6's???
In my opinion it is twice the scope as the 1" tube model in
Many ways; so much so,I am going to buy one!
My Vx2 CDS has the same Windplex reticule as this Vx3 but when you look thru the two scopes both set on the same power the reticule in the Vx3 appears to be 30/40%
larger making it much easier to see the hash marks ???
Exactly how that could be I am not sure??? When I compare them this Vx3i/ 30mm, it is a big upgrade from my Vx2 CDS, but When I compared the standard 1" tube Vx3i; that was simply not true. So If you have never looked thru the 30mm version of the Vx3i scopes, do yourself a favor and check them out they are steller optically.IMG_1998.PNG

That VX6 1-6 x24 came in Saturday and it will be going on a 404 jeffery in a month or so. That rifle produces a hefty amount of recoil so we'll see how this scope fares.

So far I've not had a Leupold go bad........................... Hopefully I won't now. Hoping Scotty got a bad batch or something weird......................

I think you stand a fighting chance, or at least I hope you do. I just don't trust them anymore. Seen enough in the past few years go south that I have been bitten too hard. I am sure they work a whole lot better for someone that sets the zero and never touches it. I have one of the VX6's with a clean bill of health boxed up and I just need to put it up for sale.

E, I have had a couple of the 4.5x14's you have pictured above. I liked them quite alot as well, my only issue was they seemed touchy in the eye box when at the upper power levels. Not a horrible thing at all, was really just a nitpick on them. Otherwise they aren't too bad, but the CDS didn't return to zero consistently and that was their demise for me.

Got a great deal on a vx6 2-12 Bc but now wondering if I should keep it. It is still new in the box.

Should I put in on my model 70 classic 30-06 or go with my used Swarovski z3 2-10 BRH??

I don’t typically dial my scopes only when sighting in for a new box of ammo or changing ammo.

Back