Can't decide (updated Browning BLR 358 Win)

The BLR sounds like a good idea.
But, I have a personal bias for the 9.3x62. Great cartridge, easy to load as the Dr said and nostalgic.

gerry":1naauqun said:
For a bear stopper/camping gun.
2) Buy a LH Zastava 9.3x62 from Tradeex Canada for $795. Comes with iron sights already and the 9.3x62 is a classic round. Probably the least inexpensive way to get a close range bear and moose thumper and might be the best route.
What would you do and why?

Thanks.

Gerry,

I know I'm coming in late. But have just read your thread.

I can attest to the iron sights on my Rem/Zastava M798.
Hooded front sight w/ rear leaf; Both adjustable and locks down tight.
Great sight picture and they both lock down tight to take recoil.

If that Zastava your thinking about has similar iron sights,
You'll be well off going this route.

The only difference between your and my thinking is the caliber.
I have a 9.3x62 set up with a fixed 4X scope for BG out to 200 yards like your 35W.
I choose to go with a stopping caliber that starts with 4!
Mines a 458WM and those iron sights stay put with the considerable recoil.

Hi Gerry, how are you?

Our grandfather has a 9.3 x 62 and a 9.3 x 64 and they are very nice calibers. Since as you said it comes with iron sights which is all you need as a camp rifle it is an excellent idea. Great classic caliber, inexpensive rifle, and a bear stopper for sure, plus a good moose rifle to boot. This may be the way to go.

If a lever is your desire, the BLR;s are great rifles. The Win 71 is as well, but a little expensive for a camp rifle and not scope friendly, if you plan to scope it. Sounds like Dr Mike could set you up pretty quickly with a 358 and that would be an excellent camp, bear, moose rifle.

Will you be goat hunting this year Gerry ?

Honestly I would love to get a 325 WSM, and a 9.3x62 and a 358 Winchester and................you get the picture. They are all great cartridges and are thumpers. Can only do one for now though :lol:

I do love my 325 WSM; it is a delight to load for the rifle and it is a delight to shoot. 'Course, I feel somewhat similar for my .358 Win.

Thankful Otter":o9tstcw0 said:
Hi Gerry, how are you?

Our grandfather has a 9.3 x 62 and a 9.3 x 64 and they are very nice calibers. Since as you said it comes with iron sights which is all you need as a camp rifle it is an excellent idea. Great classic caliber, inexpensive rifle, and a bear stopper for sure, plus a good moose rifle to boot. This may be the way to go.

If a lever is your desire, the BLR;s are great rifles. The Win 71 is as well, but a little expensive for a camp rifle and not scope friendly, if you plan to scope it. Sounds like Dr Mike could set you up pretty quickly with a 358 and that would be an excellent camp, bear, moose rifle.

Will you be goat hunting this year Gerry ?

Thanks C, we are both doing fine here. My young friend and I hope to hunt goat in February again when the weather starts to improve and there is more sun and longer days. Right now the rut should be tailing off and I wouldn't want to even attempt to eat a billy right now since they can get pretty rank tasting. By February they will be good to eat again so we will see what we can come up with.

I do like that Zastava 9.3x62 and the BLR quite a bit :)

Salmon Chaser talked of the 870 Rem pump as being in most camps and it's durability for abuse.
Never have owned a 760-7600 Rem pump rifle I might look for one in your beloved 35 Whelen.
They are made in batch runs for a few distributors and could be easy to come by at reasonable prices.
Too bad Rem doesn't chamber it for the 9.3X62 which with the same pressure and length as a 35 Whelen should work well in that action.

A package arrived today containing a Browning BLR 358 Win, 2 magazines, dies, brass and a bunch of bullets. I'll probably start reloading tomorrow sometime :) Thank you DrMike for sending a real nice gun and accessories.

Glad to see it all go to a good home, Gerry. I'll get that reloading data off to you shortly.

You'll see that I used TSXs exclusively with that particular rifle. Those bullets were exceptionally accurate for me and worked well.

I have some 200 gr TTSX so maybe those will shoot well. Regardless, it might get me an idea of where to start.

That would be an excellent sighting system. Too bad Turnbull doesn't ship to Canada. I imagine we can get it. I'll have to look at that setup for a Model 94.

Yeah, I would think a low profile red dot with a 3MOA dot would be danged quick to use and probably still have plenty of precision out to 200 yards.

Back