Elk Hunt Ammuniution Help

TDMVA

Beginner
Apr 18, 2016
I have two Nolser M48 Liberty's to select from.

1) 300 win mag with 180gr. partitions (it likes the federal offering)
2) 280AI 150 gr. LR Accubonds.
*is the 150gr. enough on for elk? I know placement is everything

I shoot both pretty well. Will be practicing more at longer ranges with both before October.

Both set up identical on top (20moa Larue Rail / Larue 30mm rings / Leica ER5 2-10x50's with mag ballistic reticles).
The 300 win mag has a break (for adding a suppressor) and a spacer in the butt to add length of pull (which I regret doing as I don't think it was that beneficial for hunting applications due to different shooting positions).

I tend to lean to the 280AI because it's lighter.

Which would you take?

Thanks.

Either cartridge will work. If you're happy with the 280AI, the 150 ABs will deliver the goods for you. Here is an elk I took with my .280 Rem loaded with 150 grain ABLR:

XQEXKyr.jpg

Here is a picture of a mule deer I took later in the season with the same rifle and load:

6DWaj5k.jpg

Both were one-shot kills.

TDMVA":43yjraut said:
Which would you take?

Thanks.
Both. More than once we've been happy to have a spare rifle along on a hunt.

Either one will work fine. Dad shot his elk this October at 320 yards, 25mph wind, with 7mm Wby Magnum at 3100fps with a Barnes 150 TTSX. Drilled it through the heart. So, 150 will work just fine.

Use the one you like best/shoot best as primary, which might be the 280AI. Have the other along "just in case."

The 280AI 150gr AccuBond lr did the job. Check the hunting board for pics. 300 yards double lung shot did the job. Thanks for all the input and help.

Back