How to calculate barrel life?

andrewctillman

Beginner
Feb 6, 2013
Is there a function in QL that predicts barrel life with a particular powder flame temperature and bullet bore/weight/velocity?

I am trying to extend life of my 6.5 CM by limiting my load development.

Thanks!

andrew, if they dont see this you might pm Fotis, Dr Mike, Cole, Scotty, and there are others here that might be able to point you in the right direction

Fotis, I think Weatherby came out with a barrel life calculator or something similar a few years back, did they not ?

I also think there was something published by Nosler in regards to the 26 and 28, but I dont remember if it was only in regards to those calibers or others as well

songdog, we have, yes, or at least to the point it does not group as well as it once did, and I am sure there are others here who have done so.

I have worn out a few barrels for the 7 Mag and 7 STW. When I was at the range and disappointing at results with my STW so I decided to clean my barrel and ran a cleaning rod and felt a very rough bore the first several inches ahead of the chamber and smoother after several inches past the rough spot. It was all firecracked and had a bad throat wear. Sent the rifle off to be rebarreled and shot very well again after. I burned 3 barrels on the STW and 2 on the Mag. I have kept a log on how many rounds has been fired on the new barrels. As for number of rounds before a 6.5 Creed wears out would be north of 1,500 rounds if you don't shoot hot strings. I normally shoot strings of 3 to 5 and let cool.

I have shot out several barrels. A 223 that had far too many rounds to count shooting squirrels and such. A 7mag that was shot a lot and a 257R that my daughter would shoot far too many rounds at one sitting. She was young(started at about 7) and I did not care. I wanted her to have fun and learn to shoot well. She became an excellent shot that tends to show up all the boys/men when she is hat the range or hunting . I just put new barrels on the rifles. I had to rebarrel hers before we went to Africa the 1st time and put a 264win mag barrel on the 7mag rifle which I like even better

The thing that will burn out a barrel the fastest is continued shooting when it gets hot. The rule I use is if I cannot hold the barrel in my hand then stop shooting. Hot reloads also will cause faster wear.

Shooting out a barrel is a wonderful investment.... there’s a reason they put threads on the end of them.

I read somewhere that the average rifle barrel has a “use life” of about 2-3 seconds.

2-3 seconds is probably pretty close. I'd think the 308s might go 4 or 5. :lol:
OP, I would think it would depend on powder used, how hot you run them and how long your shot strings tend to be. A hot barrel, long strings and a warm load is obviously going to eat the throat a little quicker than 3 and cool.
IMO, The 6.5 GAP gets its longer run due somewhat to being able to run H1000 a little less hot and a little lower pressure while still doing 3040 or so. You can run it harder but barrel life will diminish.
I'd think a Creed in 6.5 should go 2000-2500 but that's a guess as that's one of the 6.5s I don't own.

Good stuff here. I got 4,000 - 6,000 rounds from my 308 Win barrels.

I don't know if there's a "calculator" but there is a lot of experience to draw upon.

Guy

BarrelBurnChart.jpg

There's also the question of at which point is a barrel done? When is it "shot out" and useless?

When I was replacing 308 barrels on my match rifle, it was done when I'd start seeing a lot fewer X's at 600 yards, and when I'd start dropping more shots into the 9's unexpectedly. When I couldn't reliably shoot "high master" scores, the barrel would be replaced.

Any of those barrels would have been fine for hunting big game out to 300+ yards.

Guy

Interesting post, I guess with the amount I shoot my barrels will be around long after I am :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

I bought my 300 WM in 1970 and have pretty much used it a my primary hunting rifle for years. I load full loads in it because they are the most accurate combination I can find. I shot it more in the past but have always been conscious about heat and round count, and no longer us it for casual shooting or plinking. I am a firm believer in the saying "if its not broke don't fix it" so I prefer to practice and do my casual shooting with its clone, or its second clone, both of which kick significantly less. But when you start thinking about it, if you average 100 rounds a year through a rifle, ever time a decade goes by you have added a thousand rounds to the count. And I know that many here shoot there primary hunting rifle, way more than that. This last fall, while prepping for my fall hunts I grabbed some clean WW cases, some 40 year old Speer 180 grain bullets, loaded the cases with my favorite load of H-4350, and walked out to my 300 yard range. The first group was well under 1 inch as was the second. So I happily, put the rifle in it's case with some ammo and declared it ready. The distance was 300 yards, it just might outlast me if I am careful.

I replace machinegun barrels when they loose 100-200 fps.

Precision rifle barrels depend alot on caliber and powder charge. The 6mm XC and 6.5 x 284 seldom go more than 1,800 rounds. Easy to do in one season of competitive shooting. Most serious competitive shooters order two or three barrels at a time.

Hey, its cheaper than golf.

I have two 308 winchesters that made it past 5,000 rounds.

6.5 CM likely to be 1,800-2,500 tops. Even less with RL17.

Ive also rebarreled a 6.5 mag, 7mm Rem mag and 300 weatherby.

so yes, you can shoot out a barrel, or more precisely the throat which goes first.

Each of my precision rifles has a log book I record elevation and windage adjustments in and round count.

Shoot, I just realized we didn’t answer your question.
No, I don’t know of a function in QuickLoad that would give those specs.
Sorry I didn’t answer the first go round!

My wife’s Tikka CTR in .260 has right around 2500 rounds through it. It doesn’t get shot for groups much... but I put three 127 LRX through it the other day... they went a little over .35”.

Running 139-147s out of a Creed.... I suspect you’ll get 3000 usable rounds.

On a side note.... I’ve shot out a few barrels in my day. What’s interesting is... some of them are fine one day, then groups double, even triple in size all of a sudden. Others go more slowly... groups open up gradually over time, little changes in seating depth or charge can reel them back in a little... but the end is near.

I have been searching for flame temperatures online and cannot fiind many.

Anyone have a link for a current and complete list?

Id like to know what CFE223 is for instance.

also, on the Excell spreadsheet, "shot rate" is seconds between shots, correct?

Thanks for all the help!

Back