A Relic

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Myself and the 300 H & H

i was asked by my son for my recommendation of a 300 and I recommended the 300 H & H

He laughed and said how did I know you would say that. He said he was thinking more along the lines of a 300 WSM and ask me if I was aware that the 300WSM, 300WIn, 300WBY, and 300-378 Weatherby all delivered better ballistics.

I said "never heard of them" and we had a good laugh and conversation.

But all joking aside I am curious as to what your favorite 300 is. I think if I was still in the market for one and did not get the H and H I might get the 300WSM

I've shot all of these at one time or another. All good cartridges that'll do precisely what they were created to do. Favourites are like pies, we all have a favourite. I like two--hot or cold. Same with 300s, depends on which day of the week it is.

Man I would have to agree you are a relic my dear! Of course I am only teasing you!?

David

I think I too would go with the 300 WSM. My son sure likes his. I don't really have any urge to get any 300 of any kind as I have a 30-06! What the heck would I do with the darn thing!!

The only .30-cal I have, want, or need has "06" for a last name. Unless for some reason I need to start taking shots beyond 400 yards (highly doubtful), I don't have much use for one, especially east of the Mississippi. I have a Mauser and a Mannlicher, both in .30-06, and they do just fine for me.

April. I have used both the 300win and the 300wsm and did not see much difference in either of them. If had to pick 1-300 it would be the 300 H&H just because of the cool factor and its age :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

.300 Wby

A .300 WSM has the same powder capacity as the .300 H&H. So,it has the same ballistics as the H&H,but in a short action.

I have owned 2 different 300 magnums over the years and still own 1; the WSM.
Did not care for the Win Mag at all. The WSM does the same more efficiently with less felt recoil. And in my rifles, the WSM is the more accurate. It is also, shorter, lighter, and handles far better! A proven performer on game with the factory 180 Power Point load and handloaded 180 AccuBonds. Both sub-MOA

I have shot both the H&H and the Wby. I liked the H&H, and did not like the Wby at all; sharpest recoiling rifle I have ever shot! (Much preferred shooting the 340 Wby, but that is another story and not part of this thread)

I have never shot the 300-378 Wby and do not feel the need to do so!

I guess I must like the .300 Win. mag. (y) I have four. :shock: The Ruger #1B and #1S and a Winchester M70 push feeder are all sub MOA with the loads I've tried. The last Ruger #1S is 200th year of American liberty model and I've not gotten around to scoping or shooting it. Guess I ought to do something about that one of these days. :roll: I don't find recoil to be all that bad in the ones I have shot.
Paul B.

Even though I don't own one anymore I had a Browning in 300WM for about 10 years and it really did nothing
that I couldn't do with a 30/06 if I got 50 yds closer? So got sick of the recoil, 10 lb gun to sack around the hills. But when you talk guns at the lodge and 30/06 comes up everyone starts yawning and loose interest; but
You pull out that big tapered belted 300 H&H case and the room comes to life!
The romance of that H&H and how it feeds in an old pre64 Winchester( not those nasty Portugal ones either!) is like a eel, covered in ky jelly! :lol: And that is something anyone,can appreaciate!
Wonderful round and if I had to lug one it would be the H&H just for raw cool factor!
E

"Better ballistics"........

I was guilty of that same thing many years ago when young and stupid. Now, I'm no longer young. Read up on all the ammo at the time and the rifles and how great all the new stuff was. Some 30 years later there is not all that much difference between all of them. Not really...............

For me I happen to really like both the 300 wm and 300 wby over the short 300's. The reason is they can throw a bigger bullet just a little better. Not enough to really make that much difference but, I need to have something to like about them. :>)

300 weatherby for me, sort off.

I also agree with Earle and April. A friend of mine has an H & H and I do want one, and the 300 is still in the safe but has been replaced in the field with the 270 Weatherby. I will probably sell the 300 Weatherby and buy a 300 H & H.

Charles, speaking of Weatherby's do you still have that 340 ?

I really like the .300WSM.

Easy to shoot, easy to load for, efficient for the ballistics it yields...and I've had nothing but great results on critters.

I do like the .300 H&H... an well worn M70 and that long tapered case makes for a very smooth feeding rifle.

Had a 300Bee and kicked so hard it would take me several seconds for my eyes to refocus so I sold it to Fotis who got it for a friend. My .338 Win with heavier bullets doesn't kick as bad as that 300Bee did.
My present .30 is a 30-06 and wonder why I ever looked at anything bigger.
I have looked at the 308 Norma and been reading about the New 300 Norma.
But you failed to mention the .30 Nosler.
So what does he plan on using it for?

Always thought that when I need or want a heavier bullet than the 180 in the 300, I would rather step up to the 210 gr in the 338 Win Mag. Just plain works!

All good choices. Love my 300WM, think I’m going to like the 300WSM my son is getting.
Would not hesitate to own s 300H&H 0r the 300bee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good choices. Love my 300WM, think I’m going to like the 300WSM my son is getting.
Would not hesitate to own a 300H&H 0r the 300bee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is they anything better that a Model 70 pre-war 300 H&H Mag. ?

Attachments

• 8043B23A-2973-41FC-AF51-3A8E2A9B59E1.jpeg
    8043B23A-2973-41FC-AF51-3A8E2A9B59E1.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 975
Back