A Relic

hunternyny":1dmbc72c said:
300 weatherby for me, sort off.

I also agree with Earle and April. A friend of mine has an H & H and I do want one, and the 300 is still in the safe but has been replaced in the field with the 270 Weatherby. I will probably sell the 300 Weatherby and buy a 300 H & H.

Charles, speaking of Weatherby's do you still have that 340 ?

Are you kidding??????? :lol:

You better believe it! That rifle will never leave me. Too much history for one and a fantastic shooter too.

elkhunternm":3uqzhq5c said:
Or a original H&H bolt rifle in .300 H&H.

THIS !!!!!!!!!

Charles, I could not imagine your ever getting rid of that 340 or the 9.3 x 64. I heard the beautiful stories that go with those rifles.

I wish you did not live so far from San Antonio.

Anyway, it pleases this old gals heart to see that there are a few gents here who still like the old 300 H & H

David, you are correct and it is no joke Not as old as the H & H but there are days I feel like it. Has to quit sailing, had to quit hunting, had to quit being a "cougar" ( that one is for you Charles lol ), so unfortunately David, I can not even argue your point. )-:

April, I hope that you can still go on the odd hunt and take photographs. I have really noticed that just being with the group has been a blessing to me.
Last hunt I even pulled KB for the first time and guys didn't mind my Kraft Dinner and Chili :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

I would have to say the .300 Winchester Magnum. I wanted one for years but had no need for it, then I started going elk hunting so I bought one. Original intent was to just use it for the west but it fit so good and I shot it so good, that it became my full time rifle for nearly 15 years. I worked with that rifle for about 3 years before I was satisfied, my hunting loads of 165 gr. bullets shot consistently .5 and under. My 180 elk loads printed around .600".
I made my longest ever shots with that rifle on elk and white tail. A lot of memories.
It was a victim of muzzle blast and heavy weight so it now stands in a corner of the safe, unshot for a decade.
I find the .300 WSM's very interesting, short action, lighter, faster handling rifles. If I didn't like the old .300 WM so much I might try one sometime.

I had a 300 Win Browning A Bolt that kicked like 2 mules, gave it to my brother.

Then I bought a 300 Bee that was much more pleasant to shoot from a recoil standpoint.
Guess it was a stock design/fit issue between the two of them.
Fella offered me a couple hundred more than I had in it so off it went.

Last year I worked up a load for my brother in a Rem 700 in 300 Win and it wasn't alot of fun off the bags.

So, all that being said, my favorite 300 is none of them.
I don't see alot of elk or moose hunts in my future living here in Texas.

35 Whelen":1uzn7mju said:
(TWO) Winchester pre 64 Model 70's in 300 H&H's ?????? :mrgreen:

How bad do you want one? :mrgreen: This one is for sale and impressed me enough to save a picture of it. It's built on a 1937 Model 70 action. It has superb wood on it, but it aint cheap. If there's any way for you to blow this picture up to look closer at the wood and checkering job, do so. I can't afford it, but I can appreciate it. Top notch in my opinion.

Oops. Seen you guys talking about H&H and remembered I had the picture of this one, but I realize now it's the wrong caliber.

Europe":32hmkfih said:
elkhunternm":32hmkfih said:
Or a original H&H bolt rifle in .300 H&H.

THIS !!!!!!!!!

Charles, I could not imagine your ever getting rid of that 340 or the 9.3 x 64. I heard the beautiful stories that go with those rifles.

I wish you did not live so far from San Antonio.

Anyway, it pleases this old gals heart to see that there are a few gents here who still like the old 300 H & H

David, you are correct and it is no joke Not as old as the H & H but there are days I feel like it. Has to quit sailing, had to quit hunting, had to quit being a "cougar" ( that one is for you Charles lol ), so unfortunately David, I can not even argue your point. )-:

I'll be there in April,..........April. :>)

The offer still stands, meet there on the River Walk and the first one is on me.

I had a Model 70 300 Magnum that, by the serial number, was built the year before the rifle was released to the public in my hand. I came pretnear buying it but the price was significant and I wouldn't been able to bring myself to drill holes in the action for modern scope mounts making it pretty much an non hunter for me. But it was an awesome rifle. All original in excellent condition. I've been looking at later models in the online sales sites and I still want a 300 Magnum.

I really enjoy shooting my 300 H&H. The recoil is “pleasant” for a 300 magnum and I could shoot it all day without discomfort. It is a old Remington 721 workhorse that I inherited from my dad so I am sentimentally biased. It is a neat old rifle.

Camo

I only have two very different .300 rifles in my safe, the H&H and Savage. The .300 Savage is my favorite to shoot and carry, with 125 grain NBT it has had my daughter filling the freezer many times over. My .300 H&H is pretty mild since it's a Winchester 1917 rifle full 26" barrel in a heavy laminated stock, it's just no joy to hunt with. It recoils far less shooting 180 & 200 grain bullets than my seven pound .30-06 shooting 150-165 grain bullets.

My .300 H&H 1917 Winchester.
f3Sf6zi.jpg

My .300 Savage 1893 Spanish Mauser.
EtJoCRp.jpg

Daughter's .300 Savage M700 Classic.
jw3WHT7.jpg

A couple of beautiful rifles. They have the advantage of history, which makes them even more valuable.

DrMike":sd2lgvuu said:
A couple of beautiful rifles. They have the advantage of history, which makes them even more valuable.

I'm a sucker for cheap rifles! I purchased the 300 H&H for $100 originally and 1893 Spanish Mauser cost me $25 at a pawn shop. I didn't know what I was going to do with the 93, it had been badly butchered by somebody trying to sporterize it. I found a cheap stock and a cheap barrel and the rest is history. I've got a lot more in both now.

As a kid and a young man I had access to a ranch in Eastern Oregon. There was an area the natural geography created a perfect rifle range out to about 1000 yards. The targets were boulders. I bought a 300 wm for hunting that country. Funny thing was, particularly on the long shots, I was more effective with the 06 hitting those rocks, So I sold it.

My uncle had a 300 H&H. He was scary good with that rifle, a Remington 721. 1964 I was nine, we were back in Oregon for deer season. Every one was bsing when it was time to go in the morning. My uncle grabbed me and headed to the canyon. We spotted 7 bucks nose to tail going up the canyon wall, about 400 yards. He killed all of them.
At the ranch house there was an Alfalfa field, exactly 1/2 mile from the back deck. My uncle would take bets while running the BBQ. The deer would enter the field just before dark. As kids we were on watch, third one is a buck. He'd snatch up that rifle and more often then not kill the deer. Actually I don't think I ever saw him miss.
300 H&H is a magic death ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadeTree":3jaa9sc3 said:
Oops. Seen you guys talking about H&H and remembered I had the picture of this one, but I realize now it's the wrong caliber.

Wow! That is a beautiful rifle!

And I'm not sure the 375 H&H is ever "the wrong caliber." :grin:

Guy

I've had a few different 300 Win magnums.

Have had a 300 WSM Model 70 for about eight or ten years I think. Don't use it much, but it's quite a rifle. Danged thing shoots 210 gr Berger VLD's at 2810 fps with startling accuracy.

Three shots at 100 yards. I think I was prone, resting the rifle over my pack, but not sure, it was a while ago. I was smart enough to stop after the third shot.

UxxlI2Kl.jpg

At 300 yards, the same load shoots about 1.5" groups.

XC7dScml.jpg

Not sure why I don't hunt with the rifle more. It's accurate. Nice to shoot, and not too heavy. Maybe I'll take it to Wyoming for mule deer this fall.

Guy

Guy Miner":3sydgpdl said:
I've had a few different 300 Win magnums.

Have had a 300 WSM Model 70 for about eight or ten years I think. Don't use it much, but it's quite a rifle. Danged thing shoots 210 gr Berger VLD's at 2810 fps with startling accuracy.

Three shots at 100 yards. I think I was prone, resting the rifle over my pack, but not sure, it was a while ago. I was smart enough to stop after the third shot.

UxxlI2Kl.jpg

At 300 yards, the same load shoots about 1.5" groups.

XC7dScml.jpg

Not sure why I don't hunt with the rifle more. It's accurate. Nice to shoot, and not too heavy. Maybe I'll take it to Wyoming for mule deer this fall.

Guy

Man, that 210 VLD just has to be wicked. Be pretty cool to see you air it out some! :mrgreen:

Back