rifle scopes, old v new

My friend had an older VariX II 3-9x40 mounted on his muzzleloader this year and he slipped and fell on it bending the tube. Leupold sent him a brand new Freedom series as a replacement. I got to look though it. It's quite an upgrade. Better optics, finger adjustable turrets that click, and the power adjustment ring is deeply knurled and moves very easily. They are definitely worth looking at as they seem to be truly be a revamped scope and not just a name change.

I have long ago rid myself of most of my weaver scopes. We had a large number of them at one time, and they were a great asset in my early years of hunting. I use two different brands now, Zeiss and Leupold. I think the Zeiss is slightly better but not by a large margin. They are both great scopes and are a 'HUGE" improvement over the weaver. I really like the 4 X 14 or similar and the 40+ mm lens. I wouldn't go much smaller because of the light gathering capabilities in the early morning and late evening. I was 56 once, and you need to upgrade to truly appreciate the advantages of newer glass. Buy the best you can afford as you may have the newer ones for a long time.

The truth about this is the optics have gotten so far superior to what was available even 10 years ago it's spooky! I just got in a new Bushnell Trophy Extreame 4/16 with 30mm tube and 44mm Obj lens. China IMG_2333.JPGI have a
Rifle here that has a Bushnell 6500 series (Japan) that's a couple years old..... and I can tell you this: I would hate
To have to have paid 3X as much for the 6500 after looking thru this new Trophy Extreame! It is razor sharp right to the edges, VERY bright in low light, side focus for parallex, has resettable to zero turrets, and is flat amazing for the money! To own a scope this crisp with all its features 10 years ago would have been from Europe and about 2 grand! I have no clue how they can now do that for $250??? But of course that doesn't
Address the mechanic's of it ? But I did notice it has there new "no question " guarantee ??? Even if you drive over it with your truck! Bushnell has a 30% rebate right now on their stuff, There has never been a better time to buy one! IMG_2331.JPG Amazing :wink:
IMG_2332.GIF

Bout time Bushnell got there stuff in a group. I'm sure the high line stuff was always good. There stuff that the average mortal could afford ($400 or less) was always hit or miss IMHO. I know that's not where most of you guys are at price point wise, but its the reality for lots of folks. In my experience, they never stayed where you put them. don't know what the price point for the new stuff is but I hear Vortex is getting some traction at that price point. CL

CL,
That review is based compleatly on it optically, as the 6500 MAY be 1000% better mechanically? But then comes this question; because the Extreame model comes with a fairly complex reticule for bullet compensation, and 99.9% of the end users are likely not going to ever be "spinning the dails" once it is lined up, how important is it that the erector sets are not of "Niteforce" quality???? But the glass is very close, and the price is 1/20th of the premier name brand?
Leupold has it posted right on their website that their lens are from Asia.... (preferred way to say China) they are very truthful about it, yet 99% of the public still believes that the logo "made in America" means that??? (False)
So if you ask any Leupold dude, where the lens come from in their Vx series,they will all answer :AMERICA, and that is simply not true! Assembly is done in Oregon, but the lens are from China, same for Burris, Vortex, Sightron etc.
So I prefer to forget the name on the side of the scope; and just go by how good they appear to me optically, and they are VERY good optically! Bushnell now has a commercial about their " no questions asked" warrantee,
They have pointed this directly at Vortex and Athlon who both offer stellar warranties; however Bushnell is advertising that "even if you run over it with your truck! :shock: )They will send you a new scope !!! No questions asked??? OMG
So NO ONE in the scope business can boast that ???
I run Zeiss scopes and some Leupolds cause I am old school,( And this Bushnell compares with a Vx3i easily; and is a sharp out to the edges as a Zeiss Conquest and has MORE FOV at ANY given power as either one :shock: )However being in the gun business ;I see all the new stuff, and get to play with them all,(with no dog in the fight) And the sad fact is; the Chinese now Dominates the lens industry! Period. UnAmerican ?? Yep, but a fact of life in 2018! I heard yesterday that even the newest Vortex Razor glass I assumed was from Japan,
Maybe high Grade Chinese???? School is still out on that one!
Point is if you say Bushnell in front of a Leupold dude he is going to snicker and say "buy that crap if you want
to; I only buy American" but in reality the lens actually came from the same hands, off the same table; And that table is not in Oregon. :(
I just ordered a new Vortex Diamondback HD 4-16x42mm Dead-Hold BDC Matte Black for a customer yesterday so will post an honest review of how it compares to the Bushnell Xtreame when it comes in! I tryed to offer him advise on these Bushnell Xtremes and he is a dyed in the wool Vortex guy........... so we will see when it gets here??? If it's better I will dam well say so, but if it's not I will say that toooo. With out a rebate it was $100 more money!
Hands down the best glass out there I have looked thru is German; S&B still grind and coat their own lens in house, however is it really practical to consider their stuff at $4000 scopes; for the avg guy reading this post ???( April n Scotty excluded) :lol: :lol: :lol:

35 Whelen- you are obviously impressed and pleased with your new Bushnell. Great for you! I still own and use 4 of them myself but as I said they are of the cheaper variety. I went back and re-read your post. If they are as good as you say(not arguing with you) then they are impressive for $250 bucks.

As far as Leupold goes...I just got to the point where I could afford a $300 scope a few years back. They were a revelation compared to the $180 dollar bushnells or Tasco's or any other brand for that matter, compared to what I was used to. Obviously that wasn't an apples to apples comparison- so if I "slandered Bushnell's good name", Just one mans opinion, and now I have owned up to my limited experience....

Incidentally, it is not a revelation that good glass dosent come from the U.S.. Never has....

Thanks for the review- I may look that way again based on you opinion. CL

CL,
Not really " MY" scope just mounting it for a customer, however I have certainly now ordered some because of the superb value I noticed in them. Plus besides the fact they are discounted heavily, the 30% Rebate gets them down into ridiculous money!
Don't take my word for it, simply look thru one and see for yourself! I had a friend here today that runs some high end optics on his stuff, he is a Swarvoski dude, we were comparing the Xtreame to a 4.5/14 Vx3i with 30mm tube with side focus a $700 scope and a Zeiss Conquest with a 1" tube , so I realize it sounds crazy; But the Xtreame, holds its own with either ......... comparing it to a 1" VX2 was no contest it smokes it, not even in same universe. He was as astonished as I am!
So it's not even something I even knew Bushnell made? Until it walked thru the door I had never even heard of their 30 mm scopes , so I am simply posting what we saw.......... amazingly cheap high grade optics!
I think Bushnell should have called this the new "B&L Balvar 7 HD" and priced it at $1195 and we all would have heard about it already! Let's face it the bulk of folks reading this, are going to have raised eyebrows; saying I can't believe he thinks a " Bushnell Scope" compares. Well it sure does. So check it out! Forget the name on the box and you will be blown away how good it is. The only negative thing about the scope is it's weight, at 19 oz it's 4/5 oz heavier than your little VX2 1", but about same as the Vx3i with same 30mm tube. On the plus side of that it is 6.25" between the power ring and objective lens so it will fit most any " long action" without having to get extension rings ! Which of course you can't do with a VX2 they are only 5.75" for ring
Distance........ I am 110% giving this thing my " Best Buy Award" cause it deserves it! And hey if you can't live
with the "B" on the covers , slap on some caps with an"L" s on it or double "V"s or what ever floats your boat down at the country club! :wink:

I say shoot em and put some rounds on them and see how they work. The best glass you can buy is the one that steers bullets correctly and doesn't need to be "tweaked" all the time. I have seen fellas zero in the fall and have a rifle that was "off" the next time they fired it. Could be anything really, but since going to solid rings/bases and scopes that track, that stuff is a thing of the past for me. I am with E though, I don't spend a million bucks on expensive scopes anymore cause even the 300 dollar SS's hold zero, let me have plenty of "glass" to hunt and put rounds where they are supposed to according to the dials aboard the optic. It's almost tough to wanna spend that big money on something that won't do those three things correctly for 2X or 3X's the money..

Well said.....
The old daying "buy the best you can afford" probably isnt
The thing to be doing in the scope market anymore, as you
Could spend a $1000 and struggle to see 1% difference from a $300 scope

35 Whelen":1sd49ym2 said:
CL,

Hands down the best glass out there I have looked thru is German; S&B still grind and coat their own lens in house, however is it really practical to consider their stuff at $4000 scopes; for the avg guy reading this post ???( April n Scotty excluded) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just saw this!

First off, Earle is correct, S & B makes good scopes, excellent scopes in fact and do, in fact still grind and coat their own glass--no Asia stuff for them! Theirs is the real deal!

secondly, Earle and Cheyenne who own their own airplanes, boats, cabins in the woods tractors, snowmobiles, they each have several dogs, several rifles, and they are giving me a hard time about one scope---pppllleeeaaassseee.

Lol, oh stop you know darn well her and I have all we can
Do to keep the bank from pounding the door down ! Lets
Face it: while your on the internet you can just drive around and take photos of some rich guys expensive toys
And then simply post them on here and claim they belong
To you. Thats why I am lurking around the Bushnell counter!! Just hoping next week is better than last week
As the kids are getting tired of corn flakes with no milk on them!!!! LoL

Guy -

I couldn't agree more. Looking to upgrade to a VX-3i myself this summer, just gotta make up my mind whaich reticle I am planning to use.

Are you still slinging that old Redfield on your .30-06 or did you upgrade? If so what did you end up going with?

Dale

Back