348 Fun.

The several on here that posted with experience with the 348, what kind of speeds are you seeing with the 250's in a load that shoots well? I imagine it's a different animal as far as recoil jumping up to that weight.

For now I'm planning on just enjoying it for deer hunting so the 200 Hornady's should work just fine, but working up a bear load for it is probably in the future.

ST, my favorite load is RL17, 250 grain Woodleigh, CCIBR2 primer in WW cases. I cannot remember the charge right off the top of my head, but it runs just a tick over 2300 in my 20" barreled M71. Accurate as heck as well. I cannot imagine much of anything I wouldn't hunt with that load under 200 yards.

I may have the charge listed in the bullet test section on here.

Thank you Scottie. Since I started this topic it will be easy to remember to find in the future to reference your post. 2300 with 250's out of a 20" barrel is excellent. Higher than I would've thought. I'd say you're correct, anything on the receiving end of that under 200 yds would be ready for a tag in short order.

A good guide buddy of mine used one exclusively for about 30 years in Alaska, backed up sports on many Bear
hunts and claimed it always worked flawlessly, old Fred Goodwin the Winchester man of New England told me he had guide for years with an ELW 1886 in 33WCF and had great luck with it, his brother" Kike" had same gun in 45/70 but Fred claimed when they saw deer out past 200 in the burnt lands, the 33 was much better
All round on longish shots, He bought a new 71 when they came out and used it exclusively for about 30 years
And said it was about a "perfect guide gun" and that it was like the 33 but just "more of it" his had the riding bolt peep, IMG_2354.JPG And around here, that is still considered the best sight ever on the lever Winchesters, I love a bolt peep, but still prefer the model 21 "climbing" Lyman, because of how fast you can lift it up and lock it to make
Very long shots ! Cool old guns. Here is a 64 with the Lyman 21 all the way upIMG_2356.JPG
Here is s minty 71 that brought $4000 a few years backIMG_2353.JPG

that is a really nice one Earle. Enjoy your posts Earle

Shade Tree, as I mentioned earlier, Cheyenne has a fair bit of experience with the 71. It is my understanding she is no longer posting, but she would probably answer an a pm from you and give you the load she uses for her's

However, I see Scotty has shared his load with you, and I see he also uses the 250 Woodleigh, which is, from memory , what Cheyenne uses.

Enjoy your dad's rifle and thanks for the sight info

Thanks again to one and all that left a positive comment and or information. Much appreciated.

Earle, that top pic is exactly the peep I'd like to have on it if I went that route. I think the new Williams sights look cheap by comparison but I'm sure they work fine and would probably be what I'd be forced to go with if I put one on.

Those are some nice 71's! I kinda like that Dad's old 348 is not the deluxe model. It looks good the way it is and provided I don't hunt in the rain with it, then short of falling with it and scarring it up, I don't have to worry about hurting it's value any. There's no checkering to mark up and it's not like I can wear any more bluing off the bottom of the receiver where he carried it all those yrs. It should stay looking just like it is even with regular use.

Hunterny, I did not realize Cheyenne was not posting anymore. What a shame, I hope that changes. She did contact me by PM and gave me her loads with 250 Woodleigh's. Very close to Scottie's and the list of animals she's taken with that combination is quite impressive!

GD shame to loose Cheyenne........ I always so looked forward to her posts, real talent there, true voice from
the North Country. Very sad to think a few scumbags could hurt this forum like that. I my estimation she is irreplaceable as that sorta of individual is an extremely rare commodity nowadays..........
Love to kick this fellas as* right up between his shoulders!

35 Whelen":2mpb6zh6 said:
GD shame to loose Cheyenne........ I always so looked forward to her posts, real talent there, true voice from
the North Country. Very sad to think a few scumbags could hurt this forum like that. I my estimation she is irreplaceable as that sorta of individual is an extremely rare commodity nowadays..........
Love to kick this fellas as* right up between his shoulders!
Don't if she is completely gone or not but sure do miss her regular post. Last I heard she was off on a private venture and still reads what's going on once in a while.

Earl I've wanted a piece of this scum for a long while but he doesn't have enough fortitude to reveal himself to me in PMs or open forum. I would like to introduce him to my friend BUBBA who would like to make a real man out of him at Levin Worth.
Maybe this will get his little pink panties in a bunch and IT will speak out in IT'S own defense.

After researching this a little more last evening I came to discover that even though they didn't all come with it on, any 71 that could accept a bolt peep, came factory milled on the bolt to do so. So that's definitely out. But some also came with Lyman or Redfield receiver peep sights. This particular rifle is factory drilled and tapped on the receiver for just such a sight. I have no problem letting it just as it came from factory, but if I run across the correct peep sight for it, I might try it.

On a side note, on Ebay there's a model 71 bolt with the bolt peep on it for a starting price of $701.00. :shock: :shock: I wasn't born with the highest I.Q. in the land, but Momma done her best to teach me and I didn't end up dumb enough to grab that deal. Ha.

shade tree. I remember that the 71 that Cheyenne uses has a bolt peep and hooded integral ramp. What I dont know is whether or not it came like that from the factory ?

Earle and Rodger. I agree

ShadeTree":16umxk2u said:
After researching this a little more last evening I came to discover that even though they didn't all come with it on, any 71 that could accept a bolt peep, came factory milled on the bolt to do so. So that's definitely out. But some also came with Lyman or Redfield receiver peep sights. This particular rifle is factory drilled and tapped on the receiver for just such a sight. I have no problem letting it just as it came from factory, but if I run across the correct peep sight for it, I might try it.

On a side note, on Ebay there's a model 71 bolt with the bolt peep on it for a starting price of $701.00. :shock: :shock: I wasn't born with the highest I.Q. in the land, but Momma done her best to teach me and I didn't end up dumb enough to grab that deal. Ha.

Lyman still makes the correct, all steel receiver sight for the 71. Not sure about the bolt peep. I have a William's on mine and it works fine but it isn't quite as bombproof as the all steel Lyman.

SJB358":2tkvc9o5 said:
ShadeTree":2tkvc9o5 said:

Lyman still makes the correct, all steel receiver sight for the 71. Not sure about the bolt peep. I have a William's on mine and it works fine but it isn't quite as bombproof as the all steel Lyman.

Good to know Scottie! I'm gonna be on the lookout for a correct Redfield as I prefer the looks of those a little better, but if I want one bad enough and it comes down to it, that's a good option to have.

hunternyny":2sivwrtg said:
shade tree. I remember that the 71 that Cheyenne uses has a bolt peep and hooded integral ramp. What I dont know is whether or not it came like that from the factory ?

Earle and Rodger. I agree

Most likely it was. Like I said from what I could find any bolt peep had to come factory milled that way. If the bolt was milled with no peep, one could be added but it took a specific Lyman bolt peep for it so I doubt that was done a whole lot after the fact. But even if it was it would make no difference except to the fussy collector because it still would be a correct sight.

If I had to permanently alter this gun in any way from the way Dad bought it new, I wouldn't consider it for anything. But because it's factory drilled for a receiver peep if I run across the right one I might consider it. It could be put right back the way it was with 2 screws.

That said there's nothing wrong with keeping it the way it is if I limit my shots on deer size game to around 100 yds and under. A peep would be fun to see how much smaller my group size could be made, but in the big picture it would be kinda irrelevant.

I'm giving away a bad habit of mine but I always figured any group with arrows or bullets that can be covered up with a skoal can is well under required accuracy at that distance on game down to fox size. That's about the size of the bottom 1/3 of a deer heart. That group this gun shot at 50 yds with the factory irons can easily be covered up with a skoal can even with that high shot on the target.

SJB358":2i6qxh24 said:
The Lyman is an aluminum base but a steel tower.

ST, trust me, the peep makes a world of difference.. An elk or moose at 200 yards would be in a world of hurt if I could catch one in the open!

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/ly ... ights.html

I looked at that sight last evening and without pursuing that particular route farther and calling, I didn't think it fit because the 71 isn't listed and the info I found when researching said it should be a 66MA, but if that one fits good deal!!

SJB358 said:
ST, trust me, the peep makes a world of difference.. An elk or moose at 200 yards would be in a world of hurt if I could catch one in the open!

Scotty is so right Shade tree. It makes a wold of difference

John, her 71's have the original sight's on them. I "think" she scoped the Browning

Earle. I could not have stated it any better on both your points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys (and gals) are doing a good job of convincing me I should get a peep. I still have it in my head though to hold out waiting to find a period correct receiver peep for it rather than getting a new one, but we will see. For now I have no problem restricting myself to shooting it the way it is.

Definitely wait for a period sight! A riding bolt peep is going to start at $300 because of its rarity . Probably worth ever cent of it though! Don't forget that the "much longer sighting plane" all the way back to the peep; will make A 'major improvement' of anyone's shooting. Doesn't matter how much you pay fro a sight as it will be MORE next year, so you can always sell it, and get your money back, if you ever get tired of it!IMG_2401.JPG
E

Bolt peep wont work on this one Earle without changing the bolt itself because it doesn't have the factory milled slots on top of the bolt to accept a bolt peep. From my studying up on them the bolt peeps were mostly pre war models and consequently were not drilled and tapped from factory on the receivers for a receiver peep. You either got a bolt peep or the buckhorn sights. Somewhere post war around the late 40's early 50's you could get them with receiver peeps if you so chose and that's why Dad's gun is factory drilled and tapped for a receiver peep.

Dad's gun is a yr newer than this pristine 348 I put a picture up of a while back. You can see the 2 small screws on the left of the receiver for the receiver peep. Dad's gun has those same screws at the same location.

Here's a deluxe 1939 model on Gun Broker with a bolt peep. As you can see there are no receiver screws to accept a receiver peep, but somebody ruined the collector value by drilling and tapping it for a side mount scope.

I'm learning. :)

Hummm,
Just thinking I had a bunch of bolts for them in a cigarbox and some of them, were for peeps, however Turnbull keeps flying over Here and gets be "liquored" up with his expensive booze, He brings as "tokens"and then slyly suggests we should possibly??????
"Take a ride up to my gunshop" and look thru some of the
Old parts????
Anyway he has bought alot of my 86/71 stuff over the years, but I will look next time I up there and see if I have one!
Course if yours has the two factory holes in it there is nothing wrong with the side mounted Lyman either !
And actually Doug is a great friend and very fair to trade
With! He and Scotty are both trying to draw a moose permit for this fall, can you imagine having those two
"Gun nuts" under the same roof for week!
That is prime grouse hunting time as well so have see if either one is any good with an old double over one of my old "fleabags" :mrgreen:
IMG_2374.JPG

Back