6.5 Creedmoor shoots tumbling bullets

kwgold533

Beginner
Feb 13, 2018
Hi folks, looking for answers. I previously posted about getting a new Kimber in the 6.5 creedmoor cartidge and asked if it could be used on Elk. I received a lot of answers and suggestion - many thanks. Well I got the new rifle an 84M and a box of Hornady 139 grain bullets. The bullets are tumbling through the air. You could not hit the broad side of a barn with this particular bullet. I shot eight rounds without hitting a 3 foot by 3 foot target so I moved in to 25 yards and almost missed. T hole in the target showed the bullet perfectly sideways. Any suggestions. Call Kimber? If I could figure out how to post the photo of the hole I would.

kwgold533":15dtmz6m said:
Hi folks, looking for answers. I previously posted about getting a new Kimber in the 6.5 creedmoor cartidge and asked if it could be used on Elk. I received a lot of answers and suggestion - many thanks. Well I got the new rifle an 84M and a box of Hornady 139 grain bullets. The bullets are tumbling through the air. You could not hit the broad side of a barn with this particular bullet. I shot eight rounds without hitting a 3 foot by 3 foot target so I moved in to 25 yards and almost missed. T hole in the target showed the bullet perfectly sideways. Any suggestions. Call Kimber? If I could figure out how to post the photo of the hole I would.

That sounds incredible! Man, I’m sorry to hear that you are having issues like that.

Can you look at the rifling? An 8 twist will EASILY handle much longer Bullets. If it were me I’d get it back to Kimber. Something sounds really bad about this one. I’d assume you mean 129’s as well cause I don’t think Hornady makes a 139 for a bullet in .264 diameter. Please keep us updated.

Well that sucks! We had quite a discussion on Kimber rifles last year. Quite a few people very happy, some, not so much. My own experience with Kimber left much to be desired.
I've seen heavy for caliber bullets key hole with too slow a twist, but not at 25 yards.
I guess I might start by getting a different box of ammo and see what happens, just to confirm it wasn't an ammo issue.
I would peek down the barrel to make sure it is rifled before I did that. Long shot, but key holing at 25 yards is simply bizarre.
Good luck, look forward to your report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a huge gouge at the muzzle? :>)

Tumbling a bullet at 25yds would seem impossible even for a smooth bore, but who knows?

I'd sure try different ammo. Did you measure those bullets? Never heard of it but Hornady surely had 264 grain bullets? I'd pull a bullet and weigh and measure it. Might even check bore diameter on the riffle. I'd call Kimber after doing those things. I'm sure they'll make it right if it's the barrel.

OK guys, here is the story. I posted the question -Will the 6.5 Creedmoor kill an Elk- and got many replies which justified me purchasing a table at the RMEF Banquette. The gun was for my daughter. Knowing I was going to get a new rifle I went down to my local gun dealer and purchased a set of 6.5 Creedmoor dies, 200 rounds of brass and 300 .264 bullets of three different weights. I took them up to the counter and asked for one box of factory loads. The dealer grabbed a box, rang everything up and away I went. I did not have the gun yet so I just set everything on my reloading bench. A day after the banquette I picked up the gun, purchased scope mounts and a new scope. opened the box of factory loads and put a few in the magazine to see how they chambered and how they ejected with the scope mounted. Everything was OK. I took the bolt out adjusted the rifle so I could see my neighbors propane tank about 700 yards away then adjusted the scope on the tank. I thought that should get me on paper. Time to shoot, it shot bad, real bad. so I started this post. Went home took out the bolt, rifling looked good. I took a factory load (un-fired) and stuck the bullet in the muzzle - it fell in the barrel all the way to the neck and it almost fit in the barrel. I opened a box that I had purchased to reload and it would not fit in the barrel. I then looked at the box and is said 6mm creedmoor. That was the problem so now I have a few fire-formed brass. I did not even know they made a 6mm creed and I could not find any info on this nosler site. I did find info and the brass is basically the same other than the neck. My bad. There is still hope for the gun.

Ya, it usually works better to use the right ammo. (y)

I'm just glad it wasn't the other way around, trying to shove a 6.5 bullet down a 6mm bore!

Let us know how the next shooting session goes.

Regards, Guy

Is the 6 Creedmore a SAMMI designated cartridge? I'm rather surprised that the headspace wasn't slightly larger on the 6 Creed so it would not chamber in a 6.5 Creed.

Well now that's why I didn't go with a 6x47 when I already have a 6.5x47........ I thought what if I mix up what ammo goes in which gun? I guess for this reason at a PRS Match....... not that I might not see the case head, but a mix up is still a mix up, and why things like that happen!

Well that couldn't have been too good for the barrel lands to have a bullet fly down the inside of the barrel like that! Hopefully it will shoot well?

Well guys, to be honest, I almost didn't post what the problem was because I felt so stupid but I new threw my research that there were Kimber lovers and haters and I didn't want to detour anyone from purchasing a kimber on my experience. I am going to load up a few rounds and shoot it this weekend if the weather is good (snowing now). I believe the gun will shoot sub MOA as advertised. To answer Charlie who posted above - all I can say its that the 6 MM Creed shell chambered with no effort just as if there were no cartridge at all.

You should find H4350 to be the best powder for the 140's in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Almost all the PRS guys use that powder.

Back