Ruger American .223 Rem.

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Anybody got one of these and if so what are you shooting in it ? Got a good deal on one last week and thing it will be lots of fun for the grandkids and me. Thanks, Dan.

A friend has one. He was shooting American Eagle 55 grain soft points. I didn't shoot the rifle but recall him sighting it in. He was consistent with three shots under an inch. He said the trigger needed work.

I've got one, it's a reliable rifle albeit not a particularly accurate one.

I was hoping for a budget LR steel ringing machine..not really getting there. It's good for about 1.5MOA, and that's about it. The good news is that it shoots all the weights I've tried between 50 and 75gr with the same accuracy.

I've used it on predators and such with good results and I still hope to find the magic load for a one-hole rifle.

Thanks for the info. Shot some 55gr fmj stuff that grouped 1.5 and haven't tried working up a load for it yet. If it will shoot an inch I'll be happy less would be better. Dan.

I've been around several RA's, not one in 223, but I'd say you won't have any problems getting it to shoot 1" or less.

For factory manufactured ammunition I would try this. I believe your rifle is rated for Nato spec 5.56 as well. https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556m ... de-israe-0

This has been getting very good reviews among service rifle competitors, performing as well or better than their handloads in 1:8 and 1:7 barrels. The brass is top quality as well, comparable to any commercial brass for reloading.

I shoot the Hornady 75 HPBT in my 1:8 20" AR. Shooting over 23.5 Varget or 24 R15 with LC military brass. Either load will shoot better than I can, and this bullet performs well at long range.

Had some 50 grain Nosler BT laying around from the last .222Rem so thought I'd give them a try just to see what happens. Well with 28grs of CFE223 and a CCI BR-4 primer in RP brass got 3 shots into a 3/8 inch group and pulled the 4th out to 1/2 inch. Not bad considering me shooting and with 2x7 scope at 7 powder. This was at 100yds off the bench. Have new scope to put on and will be trying other stuff after getting over gall bladder taken out yesterday. Dan.

Back