Build gun.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Just another gun to many including the guy that was selling guns I think. Synthetic stocked gun in a bull barreled 22-250. I could see a Ce, on the left side of the receiver before it disappeared under the scope base and an a' sticking out the right side, and a Z underneath the C on the left side. A Československá Zbrojovka BRNO. Good mauser action that has everything done to it, scope clearing bolt handle, safety, drilled and tapped, good scope base, ready to go for a build.

At $250 I viewed it as a steal and grabbed it up and didn't think twice. I'll sell the stock and scope, and at some point turn out the barrel and sell it for whatever it brings. I already decided the old 8x57 mauser sporter I picked up I'm gonna keep just as it is, so this will be a platform for a custom build gun someday.

Thanks Mike, I'm done buying guns for a while I can tell you that, at least ones for myself to keep. These dang guys I seem to occasionally run into that have good guns priced too cheap make it difficult to walk away and let value lay there on the table.

Tough to pass that up for $250. Looks like a good candidate for a full custom gun with a new barrel or even a rebore to freshen it up.

Lots of potential right there.

Might not want to shoot it as is... Could turn into a keeper. I suspect it will shoot just fine, mighty fine...

Guy

The possibilities are endless. Congratulations on a great find.

JD338

You just can't find deals like that around here :(. I look forward to watching your build come together :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1twwum4s said:
You just can't find deals like that around here :(. I look forward to watching your build come together :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

It's not real typical here either. The plastic stock and heavy bull barrel that just says 22-250 and not Remington, Win, etc, most likely caused most people not to give it a second look. The guy selling it I don't think necessarily knew what it was either other than a mauser action of some type. He had some beat up 760's at $500 plus, so it's not like he was afraid to ask for money on guns.

He had it priced at $325 which was already cheap enough for what it was, after I picked it up a couple times he told me he would sell it for $290. I didn't need it so I walked away. Drove back by there 3 hrs later and it was still on the table. Told him I don't need that gun but what is the bottom cash price he would sell it for? He told me $250, and at that it was a no brainer. The scope is just a Simmons, but its a 6.5-20 X 44, with AO, so I ought to be able to get something for it.

You did well on that gun. I got a Sporter Mauser last year for $200, similarly not marked well barrel. But like your other sporter Mauser, it's got Williams peep sights, not drilled and tapped. The Timney sportsman trigger for $50-55 was a nice addition. They are a solid base for a build, or just a nice piece of history to take out and use as intended.

Sweet!
I have a few of those. Good action.
I believe if you Google fu a VZ24 you'll see it's the same action. Maybe?
I have one barreled up in a 6.5-06 AI, another in a 6-284 and the third is seeking a barrel currently. :grin:
The price you paid is an excellent buy imo.

BretN":2m7ndyt4 said:
You did well on that gun. I got a Sporter Mauser last year for $200, similarly not marked well barrel. But like your other sporter Mauser, it's got Williams peep sights, not drilled and tapped. The Timney sportsman trigger for $50-55 was a nice addition. They are a solid base for a build, or just a nice piece of history to take out and use as intended.

Great buy! When I got this gun home I dry fired it and it went off as soon as I started laying my finger on the trigger. Extremely light, like maybe around a lb. I pulled the stock off hoping it had an aftermarket trigger because if somebody stoned the original to that level they went too far. It has a Boyd's Bold trigger in it. They're not in business anymore but guys tell me they were a good trigger, and it is fully adjustable so I'll just keep it in more than likely and adjust some more tension into it.

Dwh7271":2m7ndyt4 said:
Sweet!
I have a few of those. Good action.
I believe if you Google fu a VZ24 you'll see it's the same action. Maybe?
I have one barreled up in a 6.5-06 AI, another in a 6-284 and the third is seeking a barrel currently. :grin:
The price you paid is an excellent buy imo.

Those are screamer cartridges. Fun stuff! I agree, I think when you look at the big picture it was a really good buy. I'm thinking until I sell the stock, scope, and barrel, I'll be into this action heading towards $0 to start out, regardless it will give me a cushion to put money towards the rest that's needed for a good build. Too good to turn down.

Shadetree getting that rifle for that price you should have been wearing a bandana :lol:.
Again congratulations on a great find (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":21eq1ehx said:
Shadetree getting that rifle for that price you should have been wearing a bandana :lol:.
Again congratulations on a great find (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks. But I don't feel guilty. :lol:

I spend probably too much time looking at guns online and in person, talking to older gun guys, and doing lots of reading. The ole computer between my ears has trouble retaining a lot of it, but sometimes it pays off. Even though 95% of it was hidden by the scope base, I was able to recognize that C with the mark above it and the a on the right side with the apostrophe mark above it. That along with the Z under the C, and I knew what I was looking at.

I do my best to gain some knowledge along the way. I figured out early on I wasn't gonna gain much of it spending time on face book. :lol:

cloverleaf":3cpxolxr said:
I think I would try and "shoot that one out" before I used it for parts.... Cool. CL

I have nothing in bullets or dies as it relates to 22-250, but yeah I'm not starting the build project until I'm ready, so until then I'll shoot it at some point and if I like it I'll keep it as it is until I'm ready to part it out. Might make a dandy whistle pig gun in the meantime.

Back