Spring bear 2018

Went out a couple of times so far last weekend but have been busy with work recently. Since I worked yesterday I'm planning of taking a part day off and heading out tomorrow morning.

The first time we headed out we saw 1/2 a dozen bears and two moose, one of the bears we saw in the distance was a nice one, the others were small. We saw a Kermode bear (an orange and cream white black bear) which was the first one my young cousin has ever seen so he was pretty pumped.

Last Saturday we saw 10 or 12 bears and one moose, I passed on a shot I should have taken on a mid sized bear for the freezer but I'm sure we will find more. We put a stalk on another bear that my young friend almost shot but the angle was a bit tough for a young hunter, we tried to get closer after it moved off but the a fore mentioned moose busted us and spooked the bear on it's way out.

Gerry, I can't wait to see your photos along with a great story :wink:.
Good luck my friend remember have fun, shoot straight and most of all be safe (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Well my young cousin connected last night on this 5'8" beautiful boar and is super excited with it as he should be. It made it down a really steep hill but thankfully expired on this little "flat" spot. Oh well it will be good practice for him for goat hunting in 2 1/2 months. It was pretty tough to butcher him there but we got the job done (y) He is supposed to send some photos he took so I'll try to upload them tonight.

Wow! Congrats. That's a great looking bear, and if that's the only photo, it's excellent.

Guy

Beautiful bear! Congratulations. He did very well, indeed. Was he using the BLR?

Guy Miner":bte1hyzd said:
Wow! Congrats. That's a great looking bear, and if that's the only photo, it's excellent.

Guy

Thanks Guy he is proud as can be right now, he just about had a heart attack when he spotted the bear :lol: There are other pictures but the one posted is the best of them

DrMike":bte1hyzd said:
Beautiful bear! Congratulations. He did very well, indeed. Was he using the BLR?

Yes sir, the BLR with 225 gr Woodleigh's did the trick. His shot was a bit far back but I attribute that to extreme excitement :wink:

A variation of the same picture earlier, it was tough in that spot to get any other pose that looked good, glad we got a few pictures that turned out well.

That's awesome Gerry! Great bear! Good gosh look at the excavator's on the front of that thing. That's some rough country to get animals out of that size.

ShadeTree":ixlmcykx said:
That's awesome Gerry! Great bear! Good gosh look at the excavator's on the front of that thing. That's some rough country to get animals out of that size.

If you just zoomed in on the claws you might even think grizzly but it was definitely a black bear. Their claws are longer in the spring after sleeping all winter and get worn down as the summer and fall progress. We stripped the meat off the carcass and packed it up to the truck, would probably still be there if we had to bring it out whole :lol:

gerry":3jmu8uoi said:
ShadeTree":3jmu8uoi said:

If you just zoomed in on the claws you might even think grizzly but it was definitely a black bear. Their claws are longer in the spring after sleeping all winter and get worn down as the summer and fall progress. We stripped the meat off the carcass and packed it up to the truck, would probably still be there if we had to bring it out whole :lol:

Ha. I assumed you packed it out, looking at that picture it would take 8 men and a winch to work that thing up and out whole, lol. Still even packing it out, everything goes harder and slower dealing with big animals in steep terrain.

Gerry, please congratulate your nephew on a beautiful black bear :wink:. I know that he is going to get some fine table fare from that boar (y).
Now it is your turn my friend are you going to use your Whelen or get some more blood on the 358 BLR?

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan, I'll pass it on to him. I'm going to use the Whelen this time and try the 225 gr Sierra BTSP at 2700 fps and see what it does. Have never shot anything with that bullet and would like to try them and see how they work. I'll use the 358 Win BLR for myself on some deer this fall with 180 or 200 gr bullets and will carry it for moose in the brush with those 225 gr Woodleigh's. The 200 gr Hornady RN bullets you sent me shoot very well out of the BLR with two different powders by the way.

I am glad to hear that Gerry, I may have a line on some more 358 cal bullets as a gentleman from the our Cardiac group at the gym is going to be selling off his reloading equipment and supplies and he has give me first opportunity to look over what he has :wink:!
Remember those bear bratwurst always taste better when they have been harvested by ones self (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Gerry please excuse me for being late to post my mind hasn't been on hunting here of late but that is a great looking Bear and I wish they grew that big around here.

Back