.308 220g BT

wingnut

Beginner
Jan 17, 2007
I'm curious of how this bullet would do at supersonic 308 Win or short barrel '06 speeds - 2300-2500 fps.

Would it hold together? Any experiences other than at subsonic speeds?

I seriously doubt it would hold together. From what I’ve heard it will expand out to 150 yards when started at 1050fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 220 gr BT appears to be intended for subsonic use.

Nosler continues to offer the terrific 220 gr Nosler Partition for the 308, 30-06 and various 30 caliber magnum cartridges. It performs very well from a standard rifle.

Discussion we had on the 220 gr Partition: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19074

I seriously considered the 220 gr Partition for the grizzly hunt, but opted for the 200 gr Partition instead as it shot with such wonderful accuracy, even out at 300 yards.

qQmg5Rul.jpg

I haven't used the 220 gr BT, but it appears to be developed for subsonic use, whereas the heavy Partition is designed for use at conventional rifle velocity.

Regards, Guy

A comment at MidwayUSA:

Ok! Be careful here. These are labeled subsonic, it doesn't say that anywhere on here or at noslers site. The box when it arrives will say "subsonic". I've loaded them in a 300 win mag, and an 3006. They worked fine, accuracy was great. I shot a 140lb buck with one...bad idea. Fragmentation was unbelievable.

Guess I got the answer.

I found 2 very accurate loads with this bullet in my Weatherby .300WinMag. The lighter one is a dose of 3031 which chrono'ed 2340fps. The REAL Win Mag load though was a healthy dose of 7828SSC which tuned her up to 2830fps! I haven't tried them on anything other than paper so far. From what I understand, the light construction of this bullet at the velocities my loads are running will turn these bullets into bombs. That being the case, I thought they may make great coyote rounds, since I'm not looking to save the hide. I'll report back when I have more info...

CS

Back