Who here has competed with firearms?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Any form of competition? With rifle, shotgun or handgun. Archery too I guess.

Just curious, I know most of us here are hunters, which seems natural for a Nosler forum, since the company made their reputation with premium hunting bullets.

But - I've shot a lot of matches with Nosler competition bullets. Looking back, I've competed in:

Rifle:
NRA across-the-course Highpower matches
NRA long-range prone matches
Various practical/tactical matches

Shotgun:
Very casually with trap and skeet. And a little "five stand" some years ago.
Did best at trap, the others scrambled my head! :grin:

Handgun:
IDPA with my 1911
Some local police-only matches

Archery:
Way back in high school & college I shot outdoor field matches and a little indoor league shooting, both with a Hoyt recurve target bow.

Feeling the need to get back into some competition. Have some options available here.
Trap at the gun club
600 yard prone matches at the gun club
Some kind of pistol/steel shooting is avail about an hour's drive away at another gun club.

I always enjoyed, and am missing it. Been a while since I did any competition shooting. In NRA High Power, and shooting a few practical/tactical matches, I was going through 1,000 - 2,000 .308 rounds a year.

Who else here competes or has shot in competition?

Rifle: No formal rifle sanctioned matches but at each Special Response Team training we would have some rifle competition with our department semi-automatic weapons as well as our sniper rifles. Those were a lot of fun.

Up here we have a monthly shoot when the weather is nicer where folks can show up with hunting rifles and long range rifles to compete against whoever shows up. I went and observed and spotted for folks during one match but haven't made it out yet just to compete. It looks like a lot of fun though and is some very practical practice that would certainly help one hone their skills.

http://www.marbut.com/Rifle/

Shotgun: I enjoy shooting a shotgun but have never participated in any matches. We had qualifications of course that we had to keep our skill level up for work on a regular basis with our duty shotgun.

Handgun: I've shot a couple of times in the Montana Governor's cup pistol match. That was a lot of fun. When we did our monthly SRT training we typically would have an informal competition with our pistols. We would start out a 15 yards and shoot a round metal plate that was about 7" in diameter. Shoot once and move back 5 yards if you hit it. Miss and you're out. Continue until you have a winner. That was a lot of fun and I typically did pretty good.

Archery: I wish I would have gotten into archery a lot sooner than I did because I really enjoy it and it's a lot of fun. I would have enjoyed participating in 3D matches. I usually shoot a couple 3D matches each year and I've gone to the Montana State 3D match once with my son Jeff. He won his category (compound & age group appropriate) the very first year and only year we have gone (Life seems to get in the way.). Jeff won a solid silver with gold belt buckle. I took 3rd place in the traditional (longbow and recurve) category. I missed the mountain carp (Very rare species) at 6 yards or I would have won the darn thing! It was a lot of fun. That shoot comes up in June again. This maybe gives me some incentive to start shooting my recurve and have a poke at it again.

I have shot in Hi Power Rifle leagues, DCM, and Metallic Silhouette. I also shot Trap and Skeet leagues back in the day. Archery and pistol/ handgun recreational.

JD338

I carry a NRA Expert Pistol classification in Bullseye competition. It was down grade form High Master due to lack of participation while I was recovering from a back injury and haven't been able to shoot good enough to get it back.

I was on a small bore rifle team while in Fort Knox. We competed indoors against other similar teams during the winter months. Also shot in numerous small bore pistol matches in Klamath Falls, Oregon in the early 70's.

I shot indoor smallbore (ie. .22) for 4 years on my college rifle team (NCAA). I shot with and against many others who had been competing that way for many years in rifle clubs, etc. My coach was a former member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, and I learned a lot from him. By the time I finished, I was ranked in the top 200 collegiate shooters in the country, so I did ok. Had a lot of fun doing it, too.

After going thru ROTC, I spent 9 years in the USAR as an intel officer. On my very last drill weekend, I competed in a brigade-level combat arms match, called a GOCOM (General Officer Command) match. We MI pukes were attached to an MP brigade, so most of the shooters were MP's. I competed in the M16 competition, which was broken into 5 events: 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, all fired and scored separately, and then the EIC competition on the next day, which was the same 4 events but scored cumulatively. When it was all said and done, this MI Captain had won the 100m and 200m individual events, plus the EIC competition, over a bunch of MP's. They were not happy, to say the least, and I'm sure that the General wasn't too happy about his MP's getting outshot, either. As a result of winning that match, I earned the Army EIC badge, "first leg," which is a pretty rare award. What a great way to end my Army career; just competing in the event was fun enough. But to win it and come home with a medal and trophies was even better. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I shot trap quite a bit as a kid with my dad and won a lab puppy at a DU shoot. I also shot some 3 gun in my younger years.

I could see myself doing some PRS shoots at some point but right now my kids have too many sports going on and I'm working a crazy amount of hours so I can slack a bit for hunting season.

IDPA, IPSC, and SASS here.
Of the three I prefer SASS because you shoot three different firearms so it’s a better test of overall gun skills but you are limited to period correct weapons. Besides, who doesn’t want to be a cowboy?

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had fun at a local sporting clays shoots a couple of times, and spent one summer going to the local IDPA shoot nights at the local club, but no competitions with firearms. Would like to try silhouette sometime, but the closest club that does that is 6 hours away.

Mostly competitve archery at provincial, national and world's since 2012 with the recurve (instinctive and barebow divisions).

Rifles: NRA and CMP over the course to 600 yards. Have used both AR-15 and M1 Garand in these matches. Dabbled some in F-class, but couldn't afford (or want to) keep up with the arms race.
CMP games matches including vintage bolt, vintage sniper and J.C. Garand matches
Swiss Feldschützen matches at 300m on electric targets with the K-31 and diopter sights.
Also competed in 3 position air rifle and small bore, as well as air pistol, and muzzleloader in my youth days.

Handgun: Informal IDPA style matches, bullseye rimfire and silhouette.

Shotgun: Registered and informal 16 yard and handicap trap. Registered youth skeet (nearly made the Olympic training camp in the 90's). Informal sporting clays shoots.

Here you go Guy.
Paul Bunyan Rifle & Sportsman EIC Service Rifle Match
Paul Bunyan Rifle & Sportsman's Club & Jr. Division
Jun 03 2018
Puyallup
WA
EIC Competition
Inquire by email
Paul Bunyan Rifle & Sportsman EIC Service Rifle Match
Paul Bunyan Rifle & Sportsman's Club & Jr. Division
Jul 02 2018
Puyallup
WA
EIC Competition
Inquire by email
Wildlife Committee of Washington 2018 As-Issued Military Match
Wildlife Committee of Washington
Mar 10 2018
Bothell
WA
Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military
Inquire by email
Oct 14 2018
Bothell
WA
Inquire by email
Nov 10 2018
Bothell
WA
Inquire by email
Dec 08 2018
Bothell
WA
Inquire by email

Give you an excuse to dust off a service rifle, and maybe pick up a couple of interesting old metrics or an M1 for the games matches. Chase a distinguished rifleman badge, it will keep you occupied.

"Occupied" is one thing I certainly am! No - not going to start running around to a bunch of different matches all over the state again. Did that a fair bit throughout the NW in the 1990's. Lots of gasoline & motel bills & such...

But ya, shooting here at the NCW Gun Club with the rifle & shotgun and Ephrata with the pistols... That I could do.

Guy

I've shot mostly IDPA-I was pretty serious about it back in the day for a few years. In college, I also shot on the Bullseye team.

My son shoots on the school small bore team- they do three position and air rifle.

Rifle I’ve done quite a bit
10M Olympic air rifle
3&4 Position 50ft Smallbore
PRS/various Long Range steel
NRA High Power
F-Class
600 yard BR

Shot gun
Shot trap, skeet and sporting clays for years in high school and college. Shot gun shooting helped pay for college. Kind of got burnt out on that, haven’t shot shotguns in years. Should go out sometime tho, still have all my scatter guns.

I’ve never done any serious handgun shooting. I’ve shot in a couple leg point matches to get numbers up for the matches, that’s about it tho.

Archery, I’ve never competed seriously. Shoulders are so bad now after some injuries I’ll be lucky to shoot a bow ever again.

Here in Iowa there not much in Rifle shooting to be done. So I shoot Trap ATA and hope to make AAA this year in my Singles my last year I competed my average was 97.85%. so I need to pick up my game to 98% or better.

1100 Remington Man":v3q1wgas said:
Here in Iowa there not much in Rifle shooting to be done. So I shoot Trap ATA and hope to make AAA this year in my Singles my last year I competed my average was 97.85%. so I need to pick up my game to 98% or better.

Wow! You shoot a shotgun far better than I manage! (y)

Currently hold F-Class Mid-Range Master shooting a 308 in F-TR, 600 yard. Started in smallbore 4-position. Tried High power silhouette, service rifle XTC with a garand, the Garand match, and other local club matches. Kind of got more fun out of informal club matches with hunting rifles than anything else. Shotgun, I like 5-stand and sporting clays but not trap so much.

Welcome!! Speaking of competition...if any of you are planning on participating in the NBRSA NATIONAL BENCH REST SHOOT, August 7-10, 2018, at the Boone Valley Izaak Walton League, Boone, Iowa please let me know. We live 15 minutes from the range and you are welcome to stop in and share some food and drink with us.
Duane

Back