The heavies... I wish..

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Perhaps I'm having mental anguish from NOT being on my way to northern lands to hunt large furry things? It's been almost a year since I headed north in the Jeep, to tour western Canada and hunt the arctic grizzly.

I'd spent six months or more before that, loading and practicing with 200 gr bullets for the 30-06, and 260 - 300 gr bullets for the 375 rifle.

Sigh.. NOTHING on the hunting wish list for 2018 requires more than a 165 gr bullet. I've still got boxes & boxes of "heavy" hunting bullets in 30 cal & 375 cal sitting here. With nothing to do.

Ah well. There are worse things in life than looking forward to hunting deer & antelope! (y)

If I do hunt elk in Washington this year, it will be with my bow.

Guy

Guy

You can't take it with you ! At this stage in my life ( over 80 ) it isn't what I have done I regret, only what I have not "yet" done and worry about whether I will have time to do it--whatever it is! In my wildest dreams I never thought I would be going to Malaysia to tour orangutans, but I am looking forward to the adventure.

PM Cheyenne and ask about a Polar Bear hunt, Pm Dr Mike or Gil about a moose or wood bison hunt, Pm Hodgeman, Salmonchaser or Bear and ask about another Grizzly hunt only this time make it a coastal Grizzly, which is a totally different hunt than your last brown bear hunt. Pm Jamila and see whether or not her mother is allowing foreigners to help cull.

The world, the hunting world, is waiting for you and your 375

Europe":1mi2520s said:
Guy

You can't take it with you ! At this stage in my life ( over 80 ) it isn't what I have done I regret, only what I have not "yet" done and worry about whether I will have time to do it--whatever it is! In my wildest dreams I never thought I would be going to Malaysia to tour orangutans, but I am looking forward to the adventure.

PM Cheyenne and ask about a Polar Bear hunt, Pm Dr Mike or Gil about a moose or wood bison hunt, Pm Hodgeman, Salmonchaser or Bear and ask about another Grizzly hunt only this time make it a coastal Grizzly, which is a totally different hunt than your last brown bear hunt. Pm Jamila and see whether or not her mother is allowing foreigners to help cull.

The world, the hunting world, is waiting for you and your 375

Yeah Guy, this is just what I was going to recommend LOL !

April, I have an idea on something that you could do--adopt my wife and I LOL

O.K. Back to Guy's post. Admittedly April is not wrong. You are retired and loved your hunt in Alaska--do to again! And maybe this time head toward the Alaska Coast. It would be a different drive for you, at least some of it anyway, and a different hunt from what I read. The coastal bears would be a fun hunt for you and your 375 H and H

Am accepting cash donations now. :grin:

Maybe Nosler will sponsor my next big hunt? I could take the prototype 375 Nosler rifle and write all kinds of good stuff about it...

Kinda broke the piggy bank with my grizzly hunt. That might be the last "big" hunt (meaning expensive) for me. But it was a good one.

Guy

Guy Miner":1z1mwn0d said:

Maybe Nosler will sponsor my next big hunt? I could take the prototype 375 Nosler rifle and write all kinds of good stuff about it...

Kinda broke the piggy bank with my grizzly hunt. That might be the last "big" hunt (meaning expensive) for me. But it was a good one.

Guy

You know... you can't DIY bears, sheep or goats up here as a non-resident....but you can DIY moose and caribou for a much lower cash expenditure!

Just sayin'.

Guy I can’t remember his name but one of the first person who shot every species of Big Game and Sub Species in North America used a 30-06 with 165gr bullets on everything but I believe Brown Bear and Walrus and a couple more. So I would gather your 165gr bullets will serve you well. So I would call it a heavy hitter.

Oh yeah the 165's have done very well for me in the past, no doubt.

I guess I could use the heavier bullets for elk & black bear just fine.

And yes Hodgeman, a fellow here in town has taken several moose in Alaska, DIY hunts, and we're talking about a 2019 trip... :)

Guy

Guy , don’t feel bad. I have 600 of these Barnes 500gr TSX 0BC7BFE5-2DAB-4B89-A0B6-4CD009710F88.jpeg with nothing but hunting paper. At $22/100 I couldn’t pass them up for my 460 and they shoot very accurate from that beast. I know that I will never be able to hunt anything that the 460 was designed for , but it fun to have around :grin:

Guy, 1100 remington man

Cheyenne is another one who used a 30-06 and either 165 or 180 ( dont remember ) for wrote, brown black bears, plus muskox, bison, and moose--walrus also I believe.

RL338, that would do it! You need to take that rifle and bullet to Africa

Guy- go to Florida and shoot a water buffalo, or some place that has really big hogs. Nilgai in Texas also!

hodgeman":itv203dz said:
Guy Miner":itv203dz said:

Guy

You know... you can't DIY bears, sheep or goats up here as a non-resident....but you can DIY moose and caribou for a much lower cash expenditure!

Just sayin'.
I,ve spent a lot of cash on hunts. 3 trips to Alaska, western Canada, numerous dyi trips in the western usa. glad I did it!! just save up and hit it again when you can.......the addiction never goes away.

I will probably take a few squirrels from behind the house once again this year wth my nearly new, never field tested, Marlin GBL in 45/70. I am thinking of moving up to the 405gr Remington bullet for more stopping power, and greater penetration. But what I am really thinking about taking it to Arizona next winter and trying it on Coyotes. I have had a few come inside of a hundred yards.

The heavies, Iowa my whole life has been Shotgun only for Deer, then we started a Bow season and now have a Muzzle loader season one early one late season.
Now for the heavies, Iowa has started letting center fire rifle for Deer season if it is a straight wall cartridge.
They have a list of approved cartridge's now I'm wondering if I should pick one up, or keep doing the Muzzle loader season. That's the question is do what I have been doing with my Shotgun and Muzzle loader or pick up a 45-70 ?

I will probably take a few squirrels from behind the house once again this year wth my nearly new, never field tested, Marlin GBL in 45/70. I am thinking of moving up to the 405gr Remington bullet for more stopping power, and greater penetration. But what I am really thinking about taking it to Arizona next winter and trying it on Coyotes. I have had a few come inside of a hundred yards.

Bill,
I can tell you for certain. Coyotes do not like 45-70s. At all. Nor 444s. :grin: while my coyote big bore shoots have been targets of opportunities during our deer seasons the results are impressive. I agree that perhaps the 405 may offer better performance on those vicious squirrels.

Dwh7271":2b6axbrn said:

Bill,
I can tell you for certain. Coyotes do not like 45-70s. At all. Nor 444s. :grin: while my coyote big bore shoots have been targets of opportunities during our deer seasons the results are impressive. I agree that perhaps the 405 may offer better performance on those vicious squirrels.

My favorite rabbit gun is my 35 Rem. The 9.3 does a fine job as well.

Guy you really need to use that H&H.

Guy, I am familiar with the police pension and definitely feel your pain. When I was on the job and working "many" other jobs for extra cash to do the many extra things I like it was a lot easier. When I retired back in 92 and moved to Florida I immediately started working again, (sometimes three different jobs). I spent many an Elk season in Colorado and New Mexico. Now that I have finally "really" retired and only do Dive Equipment servicing (seasonal) I feel the pinch and saving for trips is quite the challenge. I try and squeak by with a fall trip to Colorado but that is almost too difficult.

Dr. Vette":34wt67c6 said:
You could always pretend to be Fotis, and use the 375 on antelope. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1100 Remington Man":3qz4ovjr said:
Guy I can’t remember his name but one of the first person who shot every species of Big Game and Sub Species in North America used a 30-06 with 165gr bullets on everything but I believe Brown Bear and Walrus and a couple more. So I would gather your 165gr bullets will serve you well. So I would call it a heavy hitter.

I think that might have been Charles Sheldon. IIRC, he used the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenaur cartridge for everything. There's a Bighorn sheep refuge named after him. If he's not the first, he's definitely in the top three.
Paul B.

Back