.260 Rem vs 65.5x55 for Africa Game

NoslerNam

Beginner
Jun 9, 2018
I am quite sure this question has been asked on this forum but as I am new to the forum I have not yet had the time to go through all the old posts.

I would like to know your opinions, stories, reviews or any info that may help me decide between the .260Rem and 6.5x55 Swedish.

Rifle will be mainly used for hunting African Game 350 pounds or less

We have both of those rounds, my wife a Tikka T3 6.5x55 and I have a Savage 260 Rem. Over the years I have had several rifles in both rounds as well. For factory loads the 260 Rem has an advantage if you are talking about the typical American stuff but the European factory loads are loaded full power for the 6.5x55 and will have an edge. Handloaded the 6.5x55 would have a slight edge over the 260 Rem when it comes to speed but not by much. In the end you can make your choice on what round is easier to find where you live since they are pretty much identical when it comes to performance.

I would vote more on the rifle and let the cartridge fall with whatever rifle you like. I have a couple 6.5 CM's and a 6.5x55. My 6.5x55 is on a Model 70, so I can load 140's out to over 3.1" if I needed to, whereas if you wanted a true 2.8" Short Action, the 260 would fit a little better. I honestly think the 260 would be better suited to a longer action as well, hence the 6.5 CM. I do not have a 260 Rem, but performance between the three of them probably isn't worth a 100 FPS all set up on proper length actions. Pretty hard to make a wrong choice on this one.

I've got to think that ballistically any difference would be purely theoretical and only detectable on paper. That said- if you had access to the full assortment of European loadings for the 6.5x55 or handload, it's probably a better choice as the 260 is pretty much a 120 or 140gr proposition and factory rounds are more limited.

That said, a 140gr out of a 260 is no slouch in any way.

For me, it would boil down to rifle choice and local logistics.

You've had some excellent responses from knowledgeable individuals with experience. From a purely theoretical point of view. it still boils down to a question of the rifle and your preference for the rifle itself. The cartridges are so close in every performance parameter as to be indistinguishable.

I own rifles in both calibers, but to date have not taken any big game with the 260.
I have taken game with the 6.5x55 from the 40 pound coyote up to 800 pound moose, mostly with the 139/140 gr bullets, so your African game up to 350 pounds will pose no problem for either cartridge, as they are very close in ballistic performance.
I would say the choice for you is going to come down to your preference in rifles, and availability in ammunition, unless you handload.
The 6.5 Swede has nostalgia going for it, and pairs nicely with the 9.3x62 for a two rifle battery to cover all of your big game!

Thank you all for the responses,

Right now I am looking at getting the Tikka T3X CTR, .260 Rem, 20" Barrel

NoslerNam":1x79fjne said:
Thank you all for the responses,

Right now I am looking at getting the Tikka T3X CTR, .260 Rem, 20" Barrel

That’s a really nice rifle. Great shooter to. I’ve got the T3X in a 6.5 CM and it was a cinch to load for.

Back