Accubond long range hard to group

DarkMoose

Beginner
Dec 19, 2016
I work throught a load of AccuBond Long range 210gr for my 300wm with 1:8 twist

after 100 of bullets, a complete rifle and scope check, seen to get trouble to group it

The best result was with 77.8 gr of h1000.

I can group 8/10 shoot in the same inch at 100 yards....

but the other 2 is like 4 and 5 inch away from the others....

This situation repeat at my 3 last sesion test and the speed still constant.

Jump .020
COAL : 3.545 (SAAMI 3.34)

No mirage
8 minutes between each shoot
heavy sporter fluted contour (X bolt LR)
1:8 twist
2.5 SG
Speed between 2840 and 2860, no corellation with bad flyers
Bad flyers are lower right or left, but never higher
No mirage, no wind
80 shoot fired since last clean and still have the trouble

Someone ever have the same trouble

Some have found a solution ?

Pictures of your targets are worth a thousand words and will help to understand what your problem is. We also could use all you load info, OAL, how far your seating off the lands so we know how much jump the bullet has to the lands.
Could be barrel heating up, heat mirage causing your point of aim to change lots of different variables including barrel fouling.

DarkMoose":3iqwem8p said:
I work throught a load of AccuBond Long range 210gr for my 300wm with 1:8 twist

after 100 of bullets, a complete rifle and scope check, seen to get trouble to group it

The best result was with 77.8 gr of h1000.

I can group 8/10 shoot in the same inch at 100 yards....

but the other 2 is like 4 and 5 inch away from the others....

This situation repeat at my 3 last sesion test and the speed still constant.

Jump .020
COAL : 3.545 (SAAMI 3.34)

No mirage
8 minutes between each shoot
heavy sporter fluted contour (X bolt LR)
1:8 twist
2.5 SG
Speed between 2040 and 2060, no corellation with bad flyers
Bad flyers are lower right or left, but never higher
No mirage, no wind
80 shoot fired since last clean and still have the trouble

Someone ever have the same trouble

Some have found a solution ?

I too have a 300 WM (Sendero SFII) and tried to load them close, also like you. I backed it way off to the tested COAL of 3.340 and BINGO. It just worked there and I am shooting them with 77.0 grains of H1000 at 2886 ft/s so hopefully your speed of 2040 and 2060 are typos. Mirage can be an issue but my guess would be the number of shots. Why are you trying to shoot so many? Are the first 8 in to 1" not sufficient for your purpose?

yes 2840 and 2860 sorry for the typo...

This was with 2 different load...

77.8 and 78 same POI the 2 load, but each with a really bad flyers...

Now I hesitate between still work this bullet or go back with a standars AccuBond. Hunting season here is at the end of september.... time begin to miss

My first concern at the beginning was my 1:8 twist, I was affraid of some tell about overspin issue.

On Nosler's site it says to load them to SAAMI max length (3.340) and that is where they find the best accuracy.

I load 5 3.4 ... this will be my last test, if the result won't get better consideraly, I'll forget the ABLR

You may want to look at your seating stem...

When I started loading the 143 ELDX in the 6.5, I had to change the seating stem so the bullet would sit square in the stem. Possibly a bullet hitting the rifling crooked?

A solid 8/10 in one nice group and then 2/10 hitting 4-5" away would indicate it's not likely your load or shooting technique.

I have noticed that seating those long bullets- occasionally you get runout, much more so that shooting a more conventional bullet.

I inspect my steam to be sure it dont it the tip when seating and everything is fine... this is what you talking about ?

Sometimes the bullet can cock when seating causing the bullet to be out of round in the case mouth. Roll the loaded round on a flat surface and see if the point looks like it is wobbling. If it is the bullet is seated off center and will cause a flyer.
With the short case neck of the 300wm loading bullets longer then SAAMI lengths ( 3.34" ) can cause a problem if not seated straight.

You can reduce runout and get more consistent seating depths by seating the bullet and then spinning the loaded round and seating it again a couple times.

There is also no reason to shoot 10 shot groups short of you want to. I shoot 3 shot groups fast like a hunting situation. I would rather the gun be consistent shot fast for 3 shot then slow for 10 shots. A deer, elk, or moose isn't going to hang out while you wait for the barrel to cool if you miss the first shot.

Yes I found them to be quite "challenging" in some rifle platforms

I bought a box of them several years ago and was never able to get them to work in my rife. Other bullets worked but not the LR. I know others like FOTIS who have had the same problem. Are you wanting to shoot very long range? Many other bullets giver similar performance and are more than adequate out to 5-600 yards.

I have had good results with 308-190's and 277-150's. They do like to be seated deeply. These have been loaded in 300 RUM, 300 SAUM and 270 Win.

Back