Leupold

That is sad. I've used Leupold scopes a rather long time, starting in 1974. In fact I still have that old 3-9x Leupold and keep it around as a spare.

I think the only trouble I had with any Leupold was nearly 20 years ago when the department-owned 4.5-14x on my SWAT rifle had troubles with the windage adjustment. Leupold fixed that for free and quickly got it back to me.

But, I haven't used many of their newer scopes. Did get a new 6x (36mm obj) last year and it's done well, but that's a pretty simple scope. Just a nice fixed power hunting scope. Lightweight. Good glass. Seems perfect to me.

Sad to hear that Leupold is having quality issues. This shouldn't happen.

Guy

hunternyny":2s5bdnuy said:
thanks to all how contributed, appreciated. April, am I too old to be adopted ?

Fotis, since I am looking at one for the 340, perhaps I will follow your lead, thank you

As you see so far so good

Guy Miner":3ckoaqgr said:
That is sad. I've used Leupold scopes a rather long time, starting in 1974. In fact I still have that old 3-9x Leupold and keep it around as a spare.

I think the only trouble I had with any Leupold was nearly 20 years ago when the department-owned 4.5-14x on my SWAT rifle had troubles with the windage adjustment. Leupold fixed that for free and quickly got it back to me.

But, I haven't used many of their newer scopes. Did get a new 6x (36mm obj) last year and it's done well, but that's a pretty simple scope. Just a nice fixed power hunting scope. Lightweight. Good glass. Seems perfect to me.

Sad to hear that Leupold is having quality issues. This shouldn't happen.

Guy

Same here Guy. I got a couple of the 6x36's from CL when they were blowing them out. I put one on my 300 Wby. So far it is working, but I wouldn't hardly take a Leupold variable for free anymore. It isn't worth the hassle for me. I like their little fixed 6's but I had a 6x42 go bad as well. Lately I have just been paying the weight penalty and running the SS 6X MQ's and I can't beat them up enough to make them die, yet...

Ya, I think it would be tough to kill one of those SS scopes. How are they in low light?

Guy

I’ve never ran out of light with one of them. To me they are as bright as a 6x42 Leupold. You will lose the subtensions earlier but the center is sharp and easy enough to make out during all hunting times.

Thanks Scotty - they sound better all the time.

Those early 10x SS scopes developed one heck of a reputation, but offer too much magnification for me, in a general purpose hunting scope. The 6x on the other hand... Just about right!

Thanks, Guy

I really want to like Leupold...but I don't think the "value for money" is there like it used to be. Lots of competition these days and expectations have changed of what a good scope does.

I've always had good results from my fixed power Loopys, including a couple of M8s that are over 20 years old.

But, I've never found them to track worth a darn. If you're mounting one to zero and then forget about it...they'll work. But if you want to use a dial or turret, their mechanism just doesn't work. I dialed a VX3 out to 600 yards and when I dialed it back to 100 yards, the zero was off by a foot.

I picked up a 10x42 SWFA for something like $300 on a bet from a friend...and that thing tracks like a champ. While there are better scopes out there, for $300, I'm not sure you can do better. My only complaint is that it's built like a truck axle- big and heavy...but I can't argue with the results.

I've sort of started moving away from Leupold, For a "set and forget scope" or a "turret twister"- you can probably get better value...you can get a Swaro Z3 that is as light and optically as crisp as anything made for not much more than a VX3 and Zeiss's "mid line" is right there with them.For about $1k, their new V4 was just superb for a turret scope.

The only thing Leupold really offers that I'll continue to buy is their fixed power series. They are about the only game left in town for those. I have to wonder how long they'll continue to offer them.

hodgeman":30boa0ku said:
I really want to like Leupold...but I don't think the "value for money" is there like it used to be. Lots of competition these days and expectations have changed of what a good scope does.

I've always had good results from my fixed power Loopys, including a couple of M8s that are over 20 years old.

But, I've never found them to track worth a darn. If you're mounting one to zero and then forget about it...they'll work. But if you want to use a dial or turret, their mechanism just doesn't work. I dialed a VX3 out to 600 yards and when I dialed it back to 100 yards, the zero was off by a foot.

I picked up a 10x42 SWFA for something like $300 on a bet from a friend...and that thing tracks like a champ. While there are better scopes out there, for $300, I'm not sure you can do better. My only complaint is that it's built like a truck axle- big and heavy...but I can't argue with the results.

I've sort of started moving away from Leupold, For a "set and forget scope" or a "turret twister"- you can probably get better value...you can get a Swaro Z3 that is as light and optically as crisp as anything made for not much more than a VX3 and Zeiss's "mid line" is right there with them.For about $1k, their new V4 was just superb for a turret scope.

The only thing Leupold really offers that I'll continue to buy is their fixed power series. They are about the only game left in town for those. I have to wonder how long they'll continue to offer them.

Great points Mike. The SS’s are heavy but good luck finding a light scope that’ll handle the same beating they will take. I know I look for it to be released and haven’t seen anything yet.

Scotty,

So far that new VX-6 has taken about a dozen rounds from that 404 jeff................ Each time I fire that rifle I'm hoping I did not get screwed there......... if it goes I'll be checking out the SS's line up.

I see where SS has a new 1" 2.5-10X32mm light weight plex reticle that could be interesting if it will fit on a long action.

c. schutte":3bdgfu3t said:
Scotty,

So far that new VX-6 has taken about a dozen rounds from that 404 jeff................ Each time I fire that rifle I'm hoping I did not get screwed there......... if it goes I'll be checking out the SS's line up.

NF has a 1X8 that might be a wicked all arounder that I would probably bet a paycheck on that'll hold up to just about anything we would throw at them. I'd like to say you shouldn't have trouble with the VX6 but after my own experience with them and reading a slew of others I can't really trust them for myself. I got bit twice by them and while they did fix them, I couldn't really condone great customer service on them, I would have rather just had them built right in the first place.

SS's don't have a perfect scope by any stretch of the imagination, they are just the closest I have found that work for me in a general purpose optic that does what it is supposed to do. I have swapped and tried a bunch of scopes over the years now and I keep coming back to the straight 6's for my hunting rifles I need to stay alive.

If I was building a DG sorta rifle, I'd probably do a Leupold 2.5X on something like that or a small variable like a NF or maybe an S&B.

I hope the VX6 holds up for you Chuck. I chased my tail thinking it was my loads or the rifle and it turns out the scopes were soup pretty much from the get go even after being rebuilt twice.

I have a VX3i on my 338 Lapua and has always return to zero (knock on wood) for me. Now my Mark4 that was on my 30-378 , I will pass judgement on until my rifle returns with its new barrel on. It just didn’t seam to come back to zero and hold it , maybe it was the worn barrel I don't know for sure.

truck driver":1jvvstb0 said:
I see where SS has a new 1" 2.5-10X32mm light weight plex reticle that could be interesting if it will fit on a long action.

I'd be willing to try one... that sort of scope fits the type of hunting I do.

hodgeman":1lsjzrd3 said:
truck driver":1lsjzrd3 said:

I'd be willing to try one... that sort of scope fits the type of hunting I do.
Yeah I would too if it will fit on a long action but the barrel seems short to me so I'll have to take some measurements before I order one.

I have always been a Leuy guy since my first BDL around 50 years ago. I placed a used XV-ll gold ring ontop and had that scope until 10 years ago when it fogged up. I sent it in and within 10 days I had a new Leupold at my door.
I believe that I have now have 6 Leupolds and have only had trouble with the VX-6, it was repaired no problem except it had to be sent state side where as the other Leopold scopes are repaired here in Canada.
I do have a few other scopes from different manufacturers and I am really impressed with the Zeiss Diavari and well as the Leica.
But all in all the Leupold just seems to right for my sight :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Seems Leupold jumped on the dial a crowd band wagon before they had a product that would take the abuse and it bit em in the butt ( pun intended).
One of the reasons I never had the CDS knob cut for my VX3i.
I practice set it and leave it. :)>)

Back