.300WSM/180AB vs. moose

A

Anonymous

On our moose hunt, we managed to hit a broadside moose with the 300/180AB combo. I've always wondered if a moose would stop this bullet at longish range...

In short, no. Impact speed would have been about 2400fps. Bullet entered through a rib, smashed up the heart and exited through the off side ribs with a 2" exit. It broke rib bones on both sides and basically wrecked everything in between the holes.

Hard not to like that.

hodgeman":2mrnifcn said:
On our moose hunt, we managed to hit a broadside moose with the 300/180AB combo. I've always wondered if a moose would stop this bullet at longish range...

In short, no. Impact speed would have been about 2400fps. Bullet entered through a rib, smashed up the heart and exited through the off side ribs with a 2" exit. It broke rib bones on both sides and basically wrecked everything in between the holes.

Hard not to like that.

Wow, pretty darned good Mike. That’s a killer combo right there.

I have been hunting moose for 50 years i used hunt Yukon moose or u might call them Alaskan some time we would find the bullet on the far side under the hide. I used to use a 30-6 ,i have used a 300 vore titan in a weatherby mag. 180 grain nosler partitian this bullet holds together very well ,the ones we have found loose very little grams. i would think any think over three or four hundred years you will find your bullet on the inside of the hide .Muzzel 3250fps.

I've taken two bull moose with the 250gr AccuBond from my 338RUM. A broadside shoulder shot completely penetrated both shoulders and was caught in the off-side hide. The bull died instantly! Remaining bullet weighed 140gr after penetrating quite a bit of bone.
Second bull was shot at 315yds and was quartering towards me. At the shot the bull took a few steps towards the nearby tree line. I rushed off another shot and the bull disappeared. When I got to where the bull was standing I could see him piled up 35yds away. Both bullets completely penetrated and exited.

It's hard to beat the performance of the Accubonds.

Nicely done!
The AccuBond just keeps on performing!

My longest shot on big game with my 300 WSM and the 180gr AB is 242 yards on a 5x5 bull elk. Have taken a number of moose, elk, wolf and bear with this combo.

Back