Hunting sling?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I'm in the market for some slings for two of my hunting rifles, and wanting to get y'alls opinions on some..The two rifles I'm getting slings for are synthetic stocks with matte finishes, so I don't have a need for hand-tooled leather artisan slings. :lol: All I really need is:
Durable
low slip
and easy to adjust. I like to be able to pull it as tight as it'l go against the rifle when I get on stand, so it doesn't flop around

I've heard a lot of good things about the Quake Claw sling, and Allen Baktrak ,but I'm open to all opinions.
Thanks.

I liked the 1907 military style leather ones from Turner, but I am sure there is something newer and better on the market today. Also you indicated you didn't want leather, so I should have just passed and said nothing, which I forget to do sometimes now that my husband is not around to remind me lol

I like quakers. Have 3. They don’t slip off the shoulder. I don’t like the strap in my hand, so if you need the strap to steady your hold, Quaker might not be for you.

I have an Allen from neoprene. Seems ok. Better on the hand, not as good on the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":gtakdpwp said:
I like quakers. Have 3. They don’t slip off the shoulder. I don’t like the strap in my hand, so if you need the strap to steady your hold, Quaker might not be for you.

I have an Allen from neoprene. Seems ok. Better on the hand, not as good on the shoulder.

These will be for my stand rifles. The ones I have now have quick disconnect swivels, so I usually take the slings off when I get in the stand so they wont flop and make noise when I move them or shoulder the rifle. The problem with that is I will inevitably drop the sling out of the stand, as I've done 3-4 times. I wanting ones that I can quickly/easily cinch up tight when I get in the stand.

Europe":34pmpqpm said:
I liked the 1907 military style leather ones from Turner, but I am sure there is something newer and better on the market today. Also you indicated you didn't want leather, so I should have just passed and said nothing, which I forget to do sometimes now that my husband is not around to remind me lol

:lol: :lol: All input is welcome!

How about a military surplus web sling? No noise and quickly adjusted. You could probably get a shoulder pad that would slip on the sling to easy the strain on the shoulder or do like we did back in the day and oops I can't say that here. :oops: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :grin:

This is the ONLY one I EVER use on all my rifles. Almost everyone in my camp has swapped to this sling.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    335.7 KB · Views: 922
FOTIS":1kbzz7gd said:
This is the ONLY one I EVER use on all my rifles. Almost everyone in my camp has swapped to this sling.

Nice!

I've been wanting to try one of those safari slings myself. I want to sling my Tikka across my chest so it will be more accessible and not slip off while walking.
I have several slings bought from Uncle Mike's they used to call the Hunter sling. These are plain leather with leather loops instead of steel claws for adjustment. You just pull a sling strap and it tightens up tight against the stock. Pull it the other way and it opens. Of course you can adjust it to any size you like.

Otherwise... if you don't want the classic 1907 military style sling (which is great) I'd recommend the Montana sling, which I'm using on my 25-06 rifle. It's very easy to adjust, QUICK to adjust. Useful as a "hasty sling" and also a good carry strap. Nicely made of very thick, strong, leather. I like it a lot. Big change for me as I normally use only 1907 style slings.

bZghAApl.jpg

ETBfmmhl.jpg

I took a gamble on the Montana Sling last year and think it's about the best hunting sling I've ever used.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":14198udw said:
Otherwise... if you don't want the classic 1907 military style sling (which is great) I'd recommend the Montana sling, which I'm using on my 25-06 rifle. It's very easy to adjust, QUICK to adjust. Useful as a "hasty sling" and also a good carry strap. Nicely made of very thick, strong, leather. I like it a lot. Big change for me as I normally use only 1907 style slings.

bZghAApl.jpg

ETBfmmhl.jpg

I took a gamble on the Montana Sling last year and think it's about the best hunting sling I've ever used.

Regards, Guy

Same as Guy, I run Montana Slings and Turners/Brownells 1907 slings for my hunting rifles. I don’t really carry the rifles much on the sling but I do give them a squirt of Super 77 spray glue just to make them a little tackier now and again.

I purchased my first of these at least a decade ago, and to mimic Fotis now everyone in my hunting camp uses these:

http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html

We use the regular one (top of the list) for the majority of rifles. I have a "magnum" one that I use for the Sendero and heavy rifles.

They do NOT slip, and you can walk or climb without holding on to your sling & rifle. One of the reasons I dislike leather slings is that you will always have to hold on to it since they incessantly slip off.

They also remain flexible in any weather.

1100 Remington Man":2wcjp7ex said:
Ditto on the Montana sling, but Guy has his upside down or I do,

I actually contacted Pat, and was told that they didn't have a "right way" to use it. Either end with the loop was fine with them. That puzzled me a bit, but I went with it. I could see using it either way.

Guy

Dr. Vette":2f6pfbv2 said:
I purchased my first of these at least a decade ago, and to mimic Fotis now everyone in my hunting camp uses these:

http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html

We use the regular one (top of the list) for the majority of rifles. I have a "magnum" one that I use for the Sendero and heavy rifles.

They do NOT slip, and you can walk or climb without holding on to your sling & rifle. One of the reasons I dislike leather slings is that you will always have to hold on to it since they incessantly slip off.

They also remain flexible in any weather.

I switched to these and really love them. They stay put and should last forever.

Thanks guys, I'm looking into all of these. My biggest thing is a sling that won't slip/slide, especially when I'm dragging a deer and ducking under branches.

Europe":1vvmqruf said:
turner offers the same in a synthetic material. Very durable.

Back