6.5 at very long range

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Met a fellow at the gun club yesterday and shot with him for a couple of hours. We were both putting the final rounds through our hunting rifles before the season.

Turns out he's a long range shooter, doesn't compete, but does shoot very long ranges... After the hunting seasons he's invited me to come on out and spot for him, while he shoots....

HIS 6.5 CREEDMOOR AT 2,000 YARDS! :shock:

Apparently he's got it all figured out, using a real high quality rifle & scope and seating the 147's long. Likely loading them beyond what most would recommend too, using more of that internal space. At any rate, he claims he's been doing it a few years. Told me where he sets up and where he's got his gongs... Yup, it's a mile plus out there. I hunt in that area often.

So, am looking forward to this. It's funny that we've never met. We know a bunch of the same folks and have both been members of the gun club for a long time. Ya, he's a lot younger than me, but has made a serious hobby out of long range shooting.

Yesterday we just had "normal" hunting rifles, though he did have a suppressor on his lightweight hunting 6.5 Creedmoor. That was pretty cool. I keep talking about getting a suppressor and never do it... Past time.

Further info, once I see this 2,000 yard shooting stuff happen!

Guy

Hitting target at 2000 yards is not easy. I shot at that distance with my 338 Lapua Ackley mind you and the degree of difficulty is compounded when shooting smaller caliber like the 6.5 Creedmore. It can be done but the probability of hitting the target is stacked against the shooter. It will be fun though.

Hitting target at 2000 yards is not easy. I shot at that distance with my 338 Lapua Ackley mind you and the degree of difficulty is compounded when shooting smaller caliber like the 6.5 Creedmore. It can be done but the probability of hitting the target is stacked against the shooter. It will be fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJGpVx0_SQ

Don't believe that can be done without OVER PRESSURING the cartridge to a very serious degree and even then....VERY DOUBTFUL!! :( :roll:

Muldoon":2lr87fvt said:
Don't believe that can be done without OVER PRESSURING the cartridge to a very serious degree and even then....VERY DOUBTFUL!! :( :roll:

Ya, well, here we are in April, and I haven't been shooting with him since that day last fall. Ah well. Perhaps I'll never see him shoot it 2,000 yards. :mrgreen:

I don't think he's going way over pressure, a bit yes, but his brass all looked good and he's been doing it a few years. I'd be guessing at his pressure levels though, pointless, since I don't even know his powder charge. Perhaps we'll get together and do some long range shooting. I'm up for 1,000, or a bit beyond with the 6mm Creedmoor, but I dunno 'bout that 2,000 yard stuff...

That's what artillery & air strikes are for! :grin:

Or just call Rommel and have him bring his BIG, long range rifle. (y)

Guy

People shoot a mile out at Forsyth with 45-110's. It can certainly be done with 6.5's and reasonable pressures.

I wish I lived further from my targets!

Back