Shotgun problems...

A

Anonymous

I've got something of a dilemma...

I put my Benelli on the pattern board today... 80% of the pellets are hitting the upper left quadrant at 25 yards and the remaining 20% is loosely scattered among the other 3 quadrants.

Results were replicated among 3 more waterfowl loads- Hevi-X #4, Hevi-Metal#2 and Winchester Super-X #3 steel....all 3" cartridges. Results were much better with a Remington 20ga and a Benelli UL 28 ga. and both of those more evenly distributed pellets than my M2.

A rifle would be easily corrected...but I'm clueless how to fix a shotgun that doesn't shoot to POA. These were shot with a rest so it isn't a gun fit issue- this is rib and bore alignment. I'm a pathetic enough shotgunner that I would have tough time just coping with it.

Lay the shotgun on the ground and drive over the barrel.
Sorry a little punchy it's a long drive from Gunnison to Pendleton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been my experience that you can’t trust patterning a shotgun off a rest. When shooting a shot gun your eye is essentially the rear sight. Figment is how you adjust that sight.

There are several ways to adjust where your pattern is printing. The easiest is to adjust the stock. Did your shotgun come with spacers to asjust cast?

Like adjusting any open sight system, move your rear sight in the direction you want your POI to go. You need to get your eye further to the right and add a little drop to the heel.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60850

Thebear_78":1unjbtn2 said:
It’s been my experience that you can’t trust patterning a shotgun off a rest. When shooting a shot gun your eye is essentially the rear sight. Figment is how you adjust that sight.

There are several ways to adjust where your pattern is printing. The easiest is to adjust the stock. Did your shotgun come with spacers to asjust cast?

Like adjusting any open sight system, move your rear sight in the direction you want your POI to go. You need to get your eye further to the right and add a little drop to the heel.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/60850

Much better idea(y)

I don't think you should run over it... Not with a heavy vehicle anyway... :wink:

Bear nailed it. That’s how you site shotguns.
Typically bird hunters like to cover the bird, competition clay shooters want to see the whole clay.

Is the Benelli a choke tube gun by chance?

If so, check to see if the tubes are true (centered)....

I have seen choke tubes be well off center... Thicker on one side, hole not centered in the tube.... I've seen a few barrels that way also to be honest.

Another thing you might want to check is if the barrel lock nut is too tight and you are bending the barrel. Yes you can pull or bend the barrel off center by over tightening the nut causing a different POI on a pump or semi auto shot gun. Generally one of the most miss understood causes of miss barrel alignment in shot guns.

mjcmichigan":l3btqpd0 said:
Typically bird hunters like to cover the bird, competition clay shooters want to see the whole clay.

Ya, I like to have my sight bead right under the bird, counting on the rising pattern to take him. For me, if the gun is throwing most of the shot a bit high, that's a good thing.

High and left, naw, I want it centered and a bit high. Seems to work out well for me. Mostly I hunt upland birds that are shot while flushing away.

Once in a great while my old "friend" forces me to accompany him on a duck hunt. What a way to enjoy life, freezing in the blackness while rain, snow, fog, and every other vile form of weather have their way... Then out of nowhere a lone teal surges by at about 712 mph, and I hear "why didn't you shoot?" Ya, duck hunting. Hmph! :wink:

I'd much rather rise at a sane hour, have a real breakfast, amble out to the jeep with a cuppa coffee in hand, dog following. Drive 15 min to a chukar hill or quail hollow. Listen to a little old country on the way. Walk a bit, watch the dog in the morning sunshine, shoot a couple of birds and head back home all before noon. Maybe even quicker than that. ;)

Meanwhile back to shooting rising birds, ya, I like the shotguns to pattern a little high. Now, on with the day.

Ya'll enjoy.

Guy

Guy Miner":xeoj07fm said:
mjcmichigan":xeoj07fm said:

Ya, I like to have my sight bead right under the bird,......
I'd much rather rise at a sane hour, have a real breakfast, amble out to the jeep with a cuppa coffee in hand, dog following. Drive 15 min to a chukar hill or quail hollow. Listen to a little old country on the way. Walk a bit, watch the dog in the morning sunshine, shoot a couple of birds and head back home all before noon. Maybe even quicker than that. ;)

Meanwhile back to shooting rising birds, ya, I like the shotguns to pattern a little high. Now, on with the day.

Ya'll enjoy.

Guy

Ditto Guy!

Love breakfast hot coffee and a sunrise...

I’ve passed on my duck “opportunities”, would rather hunt upland birds or deer...

I’m sure I’d love it, if I couldn’t do the other things... [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only time I ever had a pattern problem with my Benelli Nova was when I put an aftermarket bead on it. It was much lower than stock, so it patterned way too high. Ordered a new stock bead and that fixed the problem.

You can bend it as the factory does. Some Trap shooters bend there barrels to get them to shoot to where they want the point of impact.

Back