Wowed by a 28 gauge.

I have and shoot a 1100 28ga and I call it a Fun Gun. I hunt Pheasant's a lot here in Iowa and have a very good idea what it can and can not do. I prefer Winchester 1oz load of lead 6 shot over any 3/4 oz 6 shot loads. I will also not hunt with a 28ga now that my GSP has passed I will wait till I have a good Dog before hunting Wild Pheasants again.
For the what's it worth I have shot a triple here in Iowa with my 28ga 1100 a few years back three shoots three birds.

I hope you find another good GSP and shoot another triple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks salmonchaser, I would get one today but the Wife wants to wait till someone is retired.
As for the Triple I have two years ago but with a 12ga. For me there is Pheasant hunting and Pheasant hunting with a Dog. They are a Gift from Heaven.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 4,849
Carried a .20 gauge for many years to Maine for Grouse, then switched to .28 and that is now the go to piece. It is an LL Bean .28 New Englander, built by Battista Rizzini in Italy.

Attachments

• Grouse_28.JPG
    Grouse_28.JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 1,213
I've had a number of hunters this year carrying 28 gauge guns. I'm still amazed at how effective they are. Most have been Italian made but there have been a couple of British guns as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a Sporting Clay's coarse I can tell no difference between my 28 and 20 gauges except the weight of the shells in my vest. Both SP3's with 26.5" barrels. Unless I need #6 shot of larger I take my 28 gauge most of the time.

Thinking of getting another 28...
Been drooling over the Benelli Ethos and Ultralight! Beautiful firearms. A tad pricey...$2000 and $1600 USD
There is a Benelli Legacy online as well for a better price. $1680 CAD. Just waiting to see pics.
For the money, the Remington 1100 Sporting 28 comes with very nice wood. approx. $1000 USD (have not found another in Canada yet). Importing from the US $350 -$400 CADon top of exchange rates

Thoughts as to which you would choose, and why?

I'm babysitting an Ultralight 28.... just wonderful in every aspect except price tag.

If I wanted a 28, my search would begin and end right there. The inertia action takes all the recoil out of the mild kicking 28ga and it's no trick to stay on target and get all three hulls in the air at one time. The 5 pound weight makes carrying it all day a piece of cake.

Back