Who's hunting with a lever-action this year?

I take my 307 Model 94 out once in awhile when I’m out deer hunting. Have 3 loads worked up in it using 170 hornady FN, 160 hornady FTX and also the 150 Barnes FNHP. The 170 hornady shoot so well I keep going back to them. I do cheat sometimes in that I have a vintage kahles 2.5 Helia that compliments it very well.
BlkRam if you need cases for your 348 I have a bag of new Winchester that are yours if you want them. BTW I’m north of the border so shipping them to you would be no problem.

Kingbee, Thanks! And, yes please! Sent PM.

Finally got my Marlin 336ER in 356 Win home! May have to take it out and verify its Leupold 2-7 scope is on and go hunting with it when I finally get a day off work.

Also, just sent an offer on a '94 Big Bore AE in 307 with a beautiful monte carlo stock on it. The lever action collection may be growing again very soon!

I might just be popping that little 2.5x scope back on my 30-30 Glenfield... I like the peep sight, but... I shot it better & more confidently with the little scope.

Hmm... Easy enough to do. That will still leave me one lever action center fire with just sights, my old Savage 99 in 22 Hi Power.

Guy

I used a Savage 99 E in .308 to fill my Antlerless deer tag last month. I used the Remington 150 grin Corelokt factory load. It worked perfectly, one and done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filmjunkie4ever":1uawz6nq said:
I used a Savage 99 E in .308 to fill my Antlerless deer tag last month. I used the Remington 150 grin Corelokt factory load. It worked perfectly, one and done!

(y) Excellent!

I know there are several 348 shooters here so you will be happy to know Hornady has a new 2019 product for you. 200gr FTX Leverevolution ammo, listed at 2560 FPS.

I can not remember all those who use the 348 but I do remember Scotty, Fotis, Cheyenne

What do you guys ( and all and any other 348 users ) think about the new Hornady bullet.

My son still uses his dad's win 71 348 with RL 19 and 250 Woodleigh----are we out of step with the times in reference to powder and bullet ?

I’m using 17 and 250 Woodleighs in mine. It shoots well for me so I don’t plan on changing.

filmjunkie4ever":yzarqn95 said:

Used to have that same rifle yrs ago with the same ammo and always had good results at woods ranges. I never scoped it and shot it factory sights. Sold it yrs ago, probably shouldn't have.

Europe":2ydckp32 said:
I can not remember all those who use the 348 but I do remember Scotty, Fotis, Cheyenne

What do you guys ( and all and any other 348 users ) think about the new Hornady bullet.

My son still uses his dad's win 71 348 with RL 19 and 250 Woodleigh----are we out of step with the times in reference to powder and bullet ?

I bet it's a deer killer and it's also been available as a reloading component for some time now. I just can't make myself load a plastic tipped bullet into a classic lever gun. I certainly wouldn't look down on anybody that did, but for me I'll probably never test it in that particular rifle.

I think it's amazing that Hornady makes a new bullet for both the people who still hunt with a 348...

:wink:

Guy Miner":b90skh8a said:
I think it's amazing that Hornady makes a new bullet for both the people who still hunt with a 348...

:wink:
LMAO [emoji1787]

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

ShadeTree":26n6d1du said:
filmjunkie4ever":26n6d1du said:

Used to have that same rifle yrs ago with the same ammo and always had good results at woods ranges. I never scoped it and shot it factory sights. Sold it yrs ago, probably shouldn't have.

Mine has a Leupold M8-4x on top. Had to replace the buttstock a few years back. I had forgotten what a pleasure it was to carry and shoot. The trigger pull is long and heavy but consistent enough for hunting accuracy. The performance of the 150 grain Corelokt factory loads was ideal.

Guy Miner said:

They must be making them for Fotis and someone else because Scotty and I both use Woodleigh and Gill will use Swift.

This is a good time and possibly place to answer the question I have been asked several times. My rifle is simply a tool. Although I have accumulated a few lever rifles and some H & H caliber rifles, I am not a collector or a target shooter. I use the rifle for protection as I am constantly in potentially harms way. I use the rifle for survival when out for extended periods of time. I use the rifle to supply food for my immediate family and extended family. I use the rifle to bring in extra income. I will make sure it is still hitting where I aim it and that is the extent of my target practicing. I dont reload and to be honest have no desire to learn. My husband has been working with my grandfather and he will take over those duties when my grandfather can do longer do so. I have one load for each rifle and never "play" around with different loads. I know that some here thought I was being sarcastic when I once said "I prepare to hunt bears by hunting bears". I wasn't

I have been asked this in different ways several times I hope this explains my position. I have no way of knowing this but I think the only other ones here on the forum that fits in this category is Earle and possibly Don.

Since I dont reload or shoot for fun it has been "suggested" that the Nosler forum is the wrong place for me---maybe, but I enjoy giving Dr Mike, Earle, Don, and April a hard time about what they were doing during the great depression , to leave .

Last but not least Guy, please accept my apologies but taking your thread of course, but I really didn't know where else to put this and I wanted to answer your post (-: Plus I may not get internet again for days

Cheyenne. I’d encourage you to post freely at will. I rarely get to the bush as you do, and when I do it’s with the comforts of an outfitter whose doing a far amount of work so I can focus on fishing or hunting. Your lifestyle is more challenging than many of us have experienced,

Thank you for sharing.

To honor Guys thread, I took a black bear with my Marlin 1895 45/70 with red dot as I’m slow with iron sights. That’s the up close vision problem.
I did shoot left handed for the first time to avoid moving.

(Thanks Guy, and Cheyenne!)

Cheyenne,

I'm in the group that believes we can all learn from your practical experience with whatever you use.
Your insights and expertise are well above average.
Thank you for all of your posts, along with all the other ladies who post on this forum.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thankful Otter":39wc3agm said:
Guy Miner":39wc3agm said:

Last but not least Guy, please accept my apologies but taking your thread of course, but I really didn't know where else to put this and I wanted to answer your post (-: Plus I may not get internet again for days

No apology needed. All is well.

Even for both, or perhaps all three, of those people who still hunt with a 348 Win... :wink:

Guy

We are getting another 2" of snow tonite, so will be cinching up the noose on one today if we can pin him down! May be the right day to ditch the scopes and break out the old 99 with peep sight! Only 18 degrees here yesterday morning.20181110_075546.jpg20181111_154926.jpg
Friend took a young buck yesterday here 2 1/2 year old deer but it field dressed 188lbs.Resized_20181110_090452_4895.jpeg

Back