223 bolt action?

Thanks for the welcome guys. I’m using H322, but the charges on that side are wrong, I shot the wrong string down that side. Max for H322 is 23.1 for 60gr in my book, I shot the 55’s down the 60 side, oops. It liked 22.5, 23 grains. I went with 22.5 as I try to avoid max loads as I can be shooting at -30 or 80 deg.

I have a lot of varget so I’ll be testing that out next, but want to burn some surplus 322 first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome guys. I’m using H322, but the charges on that side are wrong, I shot the wrong string down that side. Max for H322 is 23.1 for 60gr in my book, I shot the 55’s down the 60 side, oops. It liked 22.5, 23 grains. I went with 22.5 as I try to avoid max loads as I can be shooting at -30 or 80 deg.

I have a lot of varget so I’ll be testing that out next, but want to burn some surplus 322 first

A friend of mine has a 527 that he built years ago in the wildcat 20-223- pretty much a .204 Ruger before there was such a thing. It is easily one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot. .25MOA groups are the norm for the rifle!

Not only do I like my bolt .223 Rem I have wondered if I need another ?

I have still wondered if I needed a AR-15 rifle just need to retire so I have more time for shooting.

Guy I was looking for a new toy that would be easy on the shoulder and pocketbook and came up on a Ruger American in .223Rem. Have found some loads it likes with 50,60 and 77gr bullets. Has been fun to play with. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":15uvxm4r said:
Guy I was looking for a new toy that would be easy on the shoulder and pocketbook and came up on a Ruger American in .223Rem. Have found some loads it likes with 50,60 and 77gr bullets. Has been fun to play with. Dan.

I don’t think I’ve heard a persons say one of these shot bad yet. A buddy is getting ready to buy one for his kids to hunt with heavy solids and no recoil.

Can't go wrong with a Ruger American Rifle in .223, or a Ruger American Predator rifle in .223, or a TC Venture, or a TC Compass in .223!
They're all wonderfully accurate, and light as well.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Guy -- I went down the exact same path that you are (planning a fast twist .223, bolt gun, dual purpose rifle for range and varmints,...) a couple years ago and ended up with a .204 in a Ruger #1. The tipping point on which caliber to go with for me was shooting distances. I felt the .204 would probably be more fun inside of 400 yds, but if I was realistically going to push to 600 yds and further very much I should go with the .223. I ended up with the .204 (and thoroughly enjoyed it) with my only regret being going with the Ruger #1. I've always been enamored with the #1, but could never get it to completely quit stringing shots on days when I put a lot of rounds thru it. Since the idea of that rifle was to put a lot of rounds thru it in a single sitting, I sent if down the road to fund another rifle project. Nice thing about your predicament is that there's really no wrong answer -- whatever you do will be fun!

Ya, I do like my 204/CZ rifle.

If I start using it heavily at the range, the barrel will wear out eventually and I could see replacing that barrel with a fast twist 223 barrel. Would be a better choice then for 500 - 600 yard shooting using heavier 22 cal match bullets.

I've got to get the good ol' 204 out to the range soon! Maybe Monday...

Guy

I did something similar, but I went 6X45mm with a 1:7 twist barrel. However, I didn't go with a varmint contour barrel but a 24" fluted #3 contour because I didn't want the rifle to heavy to carry. I also didn't want it so light it wouldn't ride the bags well at the range. So in the end I came out with a rifle that is a 1/2 ounce short of 9 lbs scoped and I'm able to feed 115 grain bullets from the magazine.

I haven't tried the 115 grain bullets yet, I've just made some dummy rounds with both DTAC and Bergers. I am launching 105 brain RDF and A-Max bullets at 2600 fps with H335 and CCI 450 primers. That said I'm shooting mostly 100 grain Sierra PH bullets at almost 2800 fps.

The real reason I went 6X45mm was it's legal for pronghorn in Colorado. If .223 was legal I would have gone with a 1:7 twist .223 to get me into the heavy bullets. .223 just makes a lot of sense but and I have some 1:12 twist rifles that I'm thinking need a lot faster twist barrels.

You already know .... anything that's easy to shoot, generaly inherently accurate, easy to load or buy ammo for, will get shot a lot- and this is likely a good thing...and fun! Your 204 fits that bill IF you like to load for it. If you want to just walk in to wally world and buy some green box and go have fun a 223 would be hard to beat. Afun rifle to shoot is a fun rifle to shoot cal. dosent matter much if recoil isn't an issue. Youe glenfield is proof of that, and versatile to. My .02. CL

coop22250":14bmf8dk said:
wvbuckbuster":14bmf8dk said:

I don’t think I’ve heard a persons say one of these shot bad yet. A buddy is getting ready to buy one for his kids to hunt with heavy solids and no recoil.

I have one of the Ruger American Ranch in the 223/556 and that's what my youngest used to shoot here first deer this year. For the price you cant beat it, it has a bit of a short barrel for shooting as far as you are looking to do, but they do also have one in the American Predator with a little heavier and longer barrel and also threaded(mine is a 260). add some more fun to it get a Boyds At-One adjustable stock. and yes the same stock fits both..fun guns

Well I’ve got a Tikka T3x Compact in .223 on the way and I blame you guys. I’ve already got a Bell and Carlson Medalist and Maven RS2 waiting for it but I’m going to send it off to have the barrel threaded first. I’m hoping to get 2000 steady, focused, measured practice rounds through it this winter. My big game hunting rifle is a Winchester Mode 70 Extreme Weather 30-06, also with a Maven RS2 and B&C stock, so it should mimic my showtime gun pretty closely.

1-8” Tikka Superlite

75 grain ELDM, 2943 velocity

41716974-08E8-42D4-AF65-207806CC48D2_zpsquf7oppj.jpeg

78DECF24-395E-4AB4-BE82-3E7DCED5B31B_zps1daimnpx.jpeg

You’ll need Mountain Tactical billet mags to load long enough.

P

Just picked up a Tikka SL a couple of weeks ago my self. Have not worked up a load yet but looking at the group above I know where to start.

I don't have a heavy 223 but I do have 40X in 222 Remington. It has 5 digit serial number and a 22" bull barrel. Not sure how many rounds went through the barrel but it's still shoot light out.

Here's my daughter shooting the rifle when she was just 15 years old. She is 29 now and I painted the Walnut stock in snake skin pattern. It's still wear the B&L Elite 4000.

I bought a Savage 12BVSS in .223 for my brother. It was his first center-fire rifle and I was looking for something with low recoil and cheap factory ammo. The rifle has a long, heavy barrel and a rather heavy stock. The rifle sits nice in the bags and recoil is almost non-existent. The BVSS seems to shoot rather well even with the bulk ball ammo that you can buy a reasonable prices.

I'll be working up a few loads for it this summer.

If you’re going to shoot 75s or 77s in the fast twist 223s 23.4-23.5 gr 8208 XBR pretty much hits the “easy button”.

Back