41 Magnum followed me home today...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Like new in box, 1998 production....Ruger New Model Blackhawk, 6.5 inch barrel.

I went in there with every intention of ordering a Super Blackhawk 44 Bisley Hunter... But then I saw the 41 on consignment and made the mistake of asking to see it.

Not too big and heavy, not too little (weak) either.

Traded the Winchester 94 30-30 and $75 for it... Way less money than the Bisley Hunter!

This handgun hunting thing has bitten me good.

Also... I still enjoy the crap out of the Glock 40 10mm, it's not going anywhere... Put 50 rounds through it at the range today, still banging away on that 150 yard steel plate.

The 41 is just filling a want, not a need... But I expect you all know how that goes.

Beautiful revolver you got there!
I've been bitten by the .41 Magnum bug since the late 80's.
It's an amazingly accurate round, has a lot of power, and doesn't recoil as bad as a .44 mag.
I've had a Ruger Redhawk, a S&W 57, and now an early 80's Ruger Blackhawk, just like yours.
Mine is super accurate, and you'll love yours, I have no doubt.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

It sure has a sweet trigger on it... I've been shooting nothing but Glock pistols for years now, so this trigger feels like a Bob Munden special to me, lol.

Ridgerunner665":4zs7dmqa said:
It sure has a sweet trigger on it... I've been shooting nothing but Glock pistols for years now, so this trigger feels like a Bob Munden special to me, lol.
They do have excellent stock triggers.
Mine is very light as well.
You'll come to find out there is a lot to love from a .41 Mag.

The .41 Mag is a greatly underrated cartridge. That is, indeed, a handsome handgun. Congratulations on picking up a fine firearm.

Be careful!
The 41 is addictive!
I now have 4; A S&W Model 57, 2 4 5/8" barrelled New Model Blackhawks (one blued, one stainleass) and a Marlin 1894S.
A Redhawk with 4.2" barrel has been teasing me too...

This is the start of what is sure to be a beautiful relationship... The rear sight was screwed all the way to the right when I got it, that is a 99.9% sure sign that the previous shooter was flinching badly when shooting the pistol.

I centered the sight up, took aim at a soda can at 25 yards, and blew a hole through the center of it with my very first shot with the pistol.

I'm thinking maybe I will sell the 10mm after all, [emoji846].

Also... It came with an extra set of grips, Hogue rubber grips.

I put them on it, I don't particularly like the looks of them, but they do fit my rather large hands much better than the factory grips.

Ridgerunner665":yn8010mp said:
Also... It came with an extra set of grips, Hogue rubber grips.

I put them on it, I don't particularly like the looks of them, but they do fit my rather large hands much better than the factory grips.
Now, you don't have to get rid of the 10mm, it is a really good self defense round.
I knew you would love the .41!
I handloaded my own rounds, because I can't find any ammo on the shelf's here. Either it's all being bought, or they don't stock it.
I'm still pleased as punch, though.
Using 210 gr Hornady XTP's, and they're accurate! Hitting exactly where I aim!

Done sold the 10mm, had a guy that had already said he'd take it if I ever sold it, and he did...

He took the gun, both barrels, holster, and optic.

I still need to get rid of the dies, about 800 pieces of new Starline brass, and 450 Hornady 200 grain XTP's.

You may want to look at Texas Grips. www.texasgrips.com Henry is a great guy to deal with.
They make extended grips for the Ruger Blackhawks. Reasonably priced.
I had a set of Hogues on my first Blackhawk, and they felt and functioned good, but as you mentioned, did not look as nice.
I put a set of curly maple grips on my blued Blackhawk, and ebony grips on my stainless. Fits my large hands a lot better. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you some pics.

Blkram":3av7uqj0 said:
You may want to look at Texas Grips. http://www.texasgrips.com Henry is a great guy to deal with.
They make extended grips for the Ruger Blackhawks. Reasonably priced.
I had a set of Hogues on my first Blackhawk, and they felt and functioned good, but as you mentioned, did not look as nice.
I put a set of curly maple grips on my blued Blackhawk, and ebony grips on my stainless. Fits my large hands a lot better. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you some pics.
Thank you for the offer but I think I'm just gonna leave the Hogue grips on it, at least for a while ....while not very pretty too look at they are working nicely for me.

I've never done much revolver shooting at all (and I'm now asking myself why) so I think I'll take some time to get used to it and figure out just what I want before I change anything.

This will be a hunting and stomping around in the hills gun, so the upside of the rubber is durability and utility.

Heading to the range for a proper sight in and group therapy session here in a bit.

Likely be some pics to follow later today.

Nothing better to hear about the great group session!
They are wonderful to behold!
Let us know how the range session went, please.

The sight in and group therapy went very well... The groups were small.

1.5" at 25 yards with factory Hornady ammo... The 41 is a steadily accurate shooter, I think I'm a full on wheel gun convert.

Some things I realized today...I had wanted the 7.5 inch barrel hunter version, I'm glad I didn't get it. The 6.5" while not as pleasing to my eye is a better balanced pistol and easier to carry.

Had I gotten the hunter version I would have put an optic on it, which is all well and good... But I've come to realize it isn't necessary.

That 150 yard gong I had so much fun shooting with the 10mm, the open sighted 41 will bang on it just the same albeit with a little more authority.... Easily.

The 41 shoots straight with the sights adjusted to the center of their adjustment range...indicative of a properly assembled firearm.

Also, I ordered another Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster for it, same as I had for the 10mm.

Ya, the .41 Magnum is a powerful round, almost at .44 magnum levels but with less recoil. I have the Classic Hunter Smith and Wesson Model 657 SS and it shoots like a dream. I once used H110 and a 210 grain XTP hollow point bullet , hit the cheek of a 350 pound plus hog and it traveled the length of the hog to the rear hams and stopped just under the skin in the rear leg. That is superior penetration at 1650 fps .

Your .41 is a sweet revolver. I just never handled a Blackhawk or a Redhawk. One of these days,,,, (y)

The recoil... As compared to the 10mm Glock 40.

The Glock was firing 200 grain XTP's at 1,300 fps from the 7 inch KKM barrel.. The recoil was strong but "spongy", kinda like the trigger (best word I can think of to describe it).

The 6.5 inch 41 Mag wheelgun is firing 210 grain Hornady factory rounds at...... 1,300 fps......the recoil is stiff, certainly there, and not spongy for sure... But it feels good, brings a smile to my face every time, not painful at all but it lets you know you just touched off a fairly powerful round...appx. 15 ft. lbs. of recoil energy.

The recoil will get a little stiffer when my reloading components and dies arrive, but not by much... I've already decided that I'm not pushing for the ultimate +P max loads in this, just strong and accurate...judging by the reloading data I have (Hornady, Lyman, Speer, Hodgden, Sierra, Lee, and Nosler)....around 1,400 fps with 210 grain XTP's should be well within reason, and about 18 ft. lbs. of recoil energy.

One of the great virtues of the .41 Mag, not objectionable recoil, you know it's definitely there, but won't tear your wrist, or fingers up while touching it off.
Not to brag, really, but I did a video of me shooting my Handlooads out of my Blackhawk, one handed while holding my phone at the same time getting video. It was noticeable, but not hand numbing.
Blew up some 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water at 40 feet. LOL

Back