41 Magnum followed me home today...

I really like the performance that the Winchester 240 gr Platinum Tip ammo in my 4 5/8" barrelled Blackhawks.
Recoil is decent, and there is a definite increase in thump on the target! Actually shot tighter groups than the Remington and Hornady 210 gr ammo in my revolver.

Less recoil and better penetration than the 240 gr bullets in the 44!

I hear ya, if I ever decide to go heavier than 210 it'll be 240 or 250's.

But I'm gonna try to stick with 210's...I only hunt whitetails, and mostly does for the freezer at that.

There are plenty of black bears around but I don't worry about them much, anything I use for deer will work to discourage them too....I don't hunt bears, don't care for the meat.

All I really need is a stout and accurate deer load....with the least amount of recoil I can get, I'm not recoil shy, just don't want to abuse my wrists any more than I have to... Growing up on a tobacco farm beat them up enough to last a lifetime.

I hate when they do that. This S&W 41 mag did it to me 2 years ago

Attachments

• 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 2,546
Nice!

I love my 41 (a Smith 57-1, 6”).

I kept my G40 though. ;)

If you decide to sell that 10mm brass I might be interested.

Good looking S&w Fotis!

I've already sold most of my 10mm stuff... All I have left are the Cutting Edge Bullets, the 190 grain copper solids.

The brass, dies, and XTP's went quick on 10mm forum...

This is my early 80's Blackhawk
cc996b04d38bc7a9c6ef4d47589fdeaa.jpg
74cb6b1e27f2ce340f5def7af665a03a.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Been out working up loads today...

Accurate 4100 (Ramshot Enforcer) powder is very much like 296/H110 in the 41 mag... Grain for grain the velocity is the same within 20 fps.

But the 4100 burns cleaner, cooler, and not near as flashy.

21 grains of 4100 under a 210 XTP gives 1,501 fps from the 6.5 inch barrel... ES 6, SD 3.

Grouped about 2.5 inches offhand at 25 yards.

Recoil is a good shove, but not a sharp whack... Not really any worse than the factory Hornady ammo.

Didn't really want or need a load that warm, but that is where the powder settled down and burned clean with very low ES numbers.

HAWKEYESATX":3aknbmzr said:
I use Alliant 2400, with a Hornady 210 gr XTP

Good choice!

Lots of people recommend it for the 41...and 296/110 and AA9... With so many recommending those powders they have to be good.

I've been reading load discussions and comparing load data for several days... I had 296 and AA9 already, but I just couldn't resist the urge to try something "different"... I read a few, very few, who suggested 4100...thought I'd try it and see, so far I like it.

Says right on the bottle... High performance full power loads in magnum handguns... Seems to deliver.

Really is very similar to 296 and 110...just not hardly as flashy I don't think.

Accurates load data... These are 10" barrel velocities, don't understand why everybody does that with the 41...but it looks like subtracting 140 fps will get you a reasonably close estimate for a 6 or 7 inch barrel.

Those are great loads for the .41!
I use just a little more than the middle load for Alliant 2400, and published data states it's around 1460 fps. I believe it is very close that, because while not the max load, it does have more muzzle blast and kick than the factory ammo.

Here is a good source to get excellent load data.
7db467e6896f0ba638b3196161d06631.jpg

Also... It came with an extra set of grips, Hogue rubber grips.

I put them on it, I don't particularly like the looks of them, but they do fit my rather large hands much better than the factory grips.

I changed my factory grips on a 45 Colt to the Hogues. I like them

They don't look bad, just not as pretty as the wood.

They do fit me good though, I don't think I'm gonna change them.

I wouldn't mind getting some faux ivory grips for mine

I'm struggling hard trying tell myself NOT to get a Henry lever action carbine in 41 mag.

Don't need it, but I sure do want one....

They're a little pricey though.

Back