Dang it!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
AbViYyvl.jpg

Dropped one out of the cluster yesterday while practicing at the range. Kimber 1911, and 230 gr FMJ Blazer ammo.

Was doing some rapid fire drills. That was all pairs, from the holster, at 7 yards.

Guess I decided to put one in his beard instead of his nose. Ah well. Always room for improvement.

Guy

LOL!
It's still a viable shot for stopping someone.
No worries Guy!
It happens.
You probably inadvertently had a tighter grip than usual and pulled it down a hair.
We all make shots like that from time to time.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

He was wearing really idiotic looking sunglasses.

Had to shoot him.

Guy Miner":bmgowlt1 said:
He was wearing really idiotic looking sunglasses.

Had to shoot him.

Remind me to leave my shades at home! :shock: Just the threat of a shot to the beard would do me in. :mrgreen:

Yeah, there is an old curmudgeon here in the north that could pass for a bad Santa!

Not sure that he deserves a shot in the beard...most days! LOL

Blkram":2nvj3z59 said:
Yeah, there is an old curmudgeon here in the north that could pass for a bad Santa!

Not sure that he deserves a shot in the beard...most days! LOL

Hey! I represent that! :twisted:

Guy, looking at the positive side, the beard shot, if it held its path would have caught the carotid in his neck. In any case it would have gotten his attention. :)

Yep that happens . Surprised you pulled low left with a 2 hand hold, usually a 1 handed problem for a right handed shooter pushing side ways and down on the trigger. Regripping the pistol between shots will cause the same thing for right handers.
Still good shooting though with the 230gr full house loads which causes most people to spray and pray.

I'm not particularly fast with a handgun, and was forcing my pace.

Looks like I kinda forced it a little too fast. Ah well, guess I'll just have to go practice some more... Poor me!

Guy Miner":2eddun0c said:
I'm not particularly fast with a handgun, and was forcing my pace.

Looks like I kinda forced it a little too fast. Ah well, guess I'll just have to go practice some more... Poor me!
Ha Ha Ha yeah when we speed things up there is always that increase in error.
For untrained shooters they always tend to shoot low do to pulling back and down on the trigger. One reason why homey gets bullet wounds to the lower torso and legs and trained shooters always hit the kill zone.
Members of my pistol club that shoot steel and bowling pins are always shooting low due to trying to beat the clock and be fast on the trigger. When I use to participate in the bowling pin events they would yell for me to shoot but I always took my time and cleaned the table using less ammo and around the same time it took them to spray and pray. :)>)
Yeah there was a couple that could lay down more lead and beat my time with easy but I always figured with each miss there was a chance of being hit should the target be shooting back. Rather it be dead then me. :)>)

Some years back when I was still on SWAT... I sure wish I had this on video...

We were using an upright "Dueling Tree" steel target with 8 paddles, four per side.

Everyone was using their MP-5 9mm submachinegun. I didn't have one since I was the sniper. I had a bolt action rifle, an M-16 and my 45 Kimber... Well... I entered into the little shoot-off we were having!

My 1911 against the guys with the MP-5's.... I beat 'em. :grin:

Simply by not missing. I shot kinda slowly and deliberately. They didn't. The "old guy" with the 1911 should have been easy to beat right? Ha!

I doubt I could beat 'em now, and the MP-5's have long-since been sold off. It was fun.

Guy

Guy Miner":2euikpqi said:
Some years back when I was still on SWAT... I sure wish I had this on video...

We were using an upright "Dueling Tree" steel target with 8 paddles, four per side.

Everyone was using their MP-5 9mm submachinegun. I didn't have one since I was the sniper. I had a bolt action rifle, an M-16 and my 45 Kimber... Well... I entered into the little shoot-off we were having!

My 1911 against the guys with the MP-5's.... I beat 'em. :grin:

Simply by not missing. I shot kinda slowly and deliberately. They didn't. The "old guy" with the 1911 should have been easy to beat right? Ha!

I doubt I could beat 'em now, and the MP-5's have long-since been sold off. It was fun.

Guy
There yeah go, slow and stead beats fast and sloppy any day of the week.
Fast and sloppy always seems to have to prove something slow and steady doesn't as long as your not too slow. :)-)
Most of them get wrapped up in yanking the trigger and not acquiring proper sight picture with the first shot and then it all goes bad from there.

Wyatt Earp used to say," It's not the guy who draws the fastest that wins a gunfight. It's the guy who is steady, and AIMS that wins the fight!"
I believe he was on to something there, since he never suffered so much as a scratch in his entire time as a lawman.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Guy: just curious if that one you pulled was the last in the gun. I have done the same before with the last shot when the slide locks back.

Brinky72":kv18pwgx said:
Guy: just curious if that one you pulled was the last in the gun. I have done the same before with the last shot when the slide locks back.

Danged if I know. :grin:

I was shooting as fast as I could and well, doggone, looks like that one slipped out of the group.

That's why there are magazines, not just single shot pistols.

Guy

Suppose that one might have stopped the fight? Or at least paused it? I dunno.

Guy

Brinky72":2h410vkx said:
There must be a problem with your grip or the pistol doesn't fit your hand right if that is happening or maybe limp wristing the last shot.
Try shooting one hand and see if the same thing happens. Shooting one handed unsupported will show you quick what your doing wrong.
Hope this helps you with the last shot when running dry.

truck driver":24nl54zf said:
Brinky72":24nl54zf said:
There must be a problem with your grip or the pistol doesn't fit your hand right if that is happening or maybe limp wristing the last shot.
Try shooting one hand and see if the same thing happens. Shooting one handed unsupported will show you quick what your doing wrong.
Hope this helps you with the last shot when running dry.
You are correct. It was a grip issue. I was having problems with it when we transitioned to Glocks from Sigs. I had to go with the large beaver tail blackstrap so it wasn’t loose in my hands. Also brought my group back to center instead of left of center. I’ll sometimes have it happen when I’m trying to shoot my best group. I end up relaxing too much which makes sense with what you’re saying and I probably relax my grip causing the gun to slip.

The Perp was hoping to catch that one between his teeth...... unfortunately Guy dropped his grip and missed so he had to unload his gun in his nose!! lol

Back