338 RUM Overhaul

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I dropped off my 700 LSS 338 RUM to my gunsmith today so he has it for my new project.
He has already ordered the barrel from Kreiger, they are running 18 weeks delivery ARO.
Here are the specs-
Kreiger #5 contour 27" 1-9.35 Twist chambered in 338 RUM
Twisted Barrel will be doing a straight 8 fluting
Williams Tactical Brake
Large Recoil Lug
Blueprint Action
HS Precision Sporter Stock
wPI5RRC.jpg

Should be ready to go in June.

JD338

Roger,

Yes, it will definitely get duty time on the bean feilds keeping the deer herd in check. Also looking at doing another elk hunt and another moose hunt or two.
The rifle should weigh in about 1.5 lbs lighter than it currently is. The HS Precision stock weighs 2.0 lbs.
Even though I am going with a #5 contour, the larger bore, chamber and fluting will reduce the weight.

JD338

JD I have both those stocks only my H&S is tan and black and for my 338 Win, the factory Rem laminate is sitting in a corner with no rifle for it. Been looking to find something for it but nothing has flipped my switch yet. :>)

It was a great rifle before...

It should be an even better rifle now!

Excited about seeing your range reports and some great hunts as well!

Guy

Nice plan Jim. That rifle was a shooter before, can only imagine what it will do now when its done. Rob doing the work?

OU812":2wswiq2q said:
Nice plan Jim. That rifle was a shooter before, can only imagine what it will do now when its done. Rob doing the work?
Thanks Bill. Yes, Rob Canze is doing the work.
As you know, Rob does excellent work and knows how to make a shooter. He remembered your Lilja barrel, one of the finest he has ever seen, be he does a lot of work with Kreiger when you get over 30 Cal so I went with his recommendation.

JD338

JD338":3uf9lehc said:
OU812":3uf9lehc said:
Thanks Bill. Yes, Rob Canze is doing the work.
As you know, Rob does excellent work and knows how to make a shooter. He remembered your Lilja barrel, one of the finest he has ever seen, be he does a lot of work with Kreiger when you get over 30 Cal so I went with his recommendation.

JD338

I would take Robs advise as well, he certainly knows what he is doing.

Curious about your stock choice. Was cost the major factor or did you already have it?

Should be a real boomer.

Not JD but H&S makes a nice stock with a full bedding block to keep the boomer locked tight in the bedding. The one I have for my Ruger Hawkeye M77 338 Win made a big difference in how it shot and handled. Went from a 2" gun to a 3/4" gun just from bolting on the H&S stock.

gbflyer":2i7acnz3 said:
Curious about your stock choice. Was cost the major factor or did you already have it?

Should be a real boomer.
HS Precision offers a very robust stock that is tough, durable and yet light weight. It will not twist or flex. It has a solid aluminum bedding block that when you bolt on the barreled action, it isn't going to move.

JD338

You’ll like the Krieger. I love them. Looks like it’s going to be a svelte crusher Jim.

The trigger brakes crisp at 2.5 lbs so I am going to leave it as is, at least for now.

JD338

JD, I've had two HS Precision stocks.

The 7mm mag Sendero needed no work at all.

The 308 Varmint rifle needed a "skim bed" or sometimes called a "skin bed" to make the aluminum bedding block truly mate well to the receiver. Before it was bedded with a simple layer, the zero shifted fairly often. After the bedding job - it stayed solid as a rock!

FWIW, Guy

Thanks Guy.
Rob Canze swears by HS Precision and I trust his judgement. I can't wait to get it back this spring!
I'm certain she will be a shooter! And a tad lighter too.

JD338

Jim, that looks like it will be a great rifle for you. I am looking forward to seeing your range results.

Dan

JD338":2uie18j8 said:
Thanks Guy.
Rob Canze swears by HS Precision and I trust his judgement. I can't wait to get it back this spring!
I'm certain she will be a shooter! And a tad lighter too.

JD338

Lighter doesn’t stink at all.

I really like the Rem LSS rifles and have two semi-customs in Left Hand. Similar to JD338, I had a new custom barrel (Broughton 5C) installed after the action was trued up and a heavy recoil lug installed. I added a Jewell trigger just for the heck of it.
However, I just couldn't replace the grey laminate stock which I really like. Instead, I had pillars added, stock bedded and a new soft recoil pad added after the stock was shortened a bit.
Here is how it shoots:

338 RUM.JPG

Back